Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,874,400 times

Advertisements

As a parent of a 5 year old daughter I can understand the difficulty parents may have. She is just now big enough to even get herself onto an adult toilet to do her business in a public restroom. Sending her in "alone" would not have accomplished anything prior to the last maybe 6 months. Yet, if I take her somewhere and she has to go... then she has to go.

Luckily, more and more places seem to have "family" bathrooms aside from the men's and women's. Airports, malls, etc which are a big help in this regard! It may mean waiting for the parent ahead of me to use it, but it avoids any issues of who should or shouldn't be in what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 AM

3,672 posts, read 10,566,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
Notice, despite the fought, women still lose. Girls can't go in the men's bathroom but boys can go into the girl's bathroom until their 17 according to some posters. Like the saying goes "It's a man's world".
Tell that to the 6yr old girl that stuck her head between me and the urinal last week. She had learned that not all men were created equal and was doing a little comparison study while dad was busy at his urinal.

I am uncomfortable with girls out of diapers in the mens room because the urinals are open and often the first stations in the room. Some restrooms have dividers, but most do not. I recall one event where the mother of the 13yr old son accompanied her son into the mens room because she could not bring him into the womens. She stood next to the sinks watching him at the urinal with all the other men. Yeah, that wasn't uncomfortable at all. I have only seen that once thank goodness.

At 8 I was curious enough about the opposite sex that I was not adverse to a little peeking if I though I would not be caught. My mother stopped taking me to the womens bathroom shortly before I started first grade. I started first grade while I was 5 years old.

The statement about location being important to the sense of safety is true. I would recommend avoiding especially dirty or seedy locations altogether. Hold it til you can find a safer, cleaner location. An emergency is one thing, but the VAST majority of what is being discussed is NOT emergency, but standard need.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 AM

286 posts, read 448,786 times
I have young daughters and I swear the stalls are getting smaller. When they go to the restroom the door is open because I have to lift them on the toilet seat while keeping a watch on the other one. At their age I was taught that boys/men are not to touch or see your privates and you run tell mom or dad if they do so that's what I taught them.
Well...
Once My DD was using the restroom and started screaming, "He's looking at my privates!!" I turned around to see an 8/9 (idk) yr old boy staring in the stall and it looks like he was in a trance (though I think it was because he was put on the spot as there wasn't much he could see). His mom was apologizing like crazy and looked so embarrassed.

I had an equally embarrassing moment...
Once I had just one daughter with me and she was antsy trying to get back out to her dad and sis. As soon as I sat down she opened the door and there were two boys about 5/6 looking. They probably didn't even know women sat down to pee at that age. lol. poor boys, they have to be just as uncomfortable as the women.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:47 PM

973 posts, read 1,447,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Tell that to the 6yr old girl that stuck her head between me and the urinal last week. She had learned that not all men were created equal and was doing a little comparison study while dad was busy at his urinal.

I am uncomfortable with girls out of diapers in the mens room because the urinals are open and often the first stations in the room. Some restrooms have dividers, but most do not. I recall one event where the mother of the 13yr old son accompanied her son into the mens room because she could not bring him into the womens. She stood next to the sinks watching him at the urinal with all the other men. Yeah, that wasn't uncomfortable at all. I have only seen that once thank goodness.

At 8 I was curious enough about the opposite sex that I was not adverse to a little peeking if I though I would not be caught. My mother stopped taking me to the womens bathroom shortly before I started first grade. I started first grade while I was 5 years old.

The statement about location being important to the sense of safety is true. I would recommend avoiding especially dirty or seedy locations altogether. Hold it til you can find a safer, cleaner location. An emergency is one thing, but the VAST majority of what is being discussed is NOT emergency, but standard need.
How did you start first grade at five years old?

If boys can go in the women's room, then girls should be allowed in the men room. It's a sexism message "We can us your things, but you can't use ours".

Old 04-15-2014, 04:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,917,213 times
Quote:
If boys can go in the women's room, then girls should be allowed in the men room. It's a sexism message "We can us your things, but you can't use ours".
I'm pretty sure little girls are allowed in the men's restroom. At least here I've never seen a "No Girls Allowed" sign on any of the restrooms.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,419,446 times
Quote:
How did you start first grade at five years old?

Late birthday? My son started 1st grade at 5.

Really, you can't see much on a woman or girl. With men, there's no hiding. Unless they strike a pose like that guy in "Silence of the Lambs."

Old 04-17-2014, 03:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,675,984 times
Quote:
Notice, despite the fought, women still lose. Girls can't go in the men's bathroom but boys can go into the girl's bathroom until their 17 according to some posters. Like the saying goes "It's a man's world".
Who says you can't? When my son was 7 I allowed him to go in the men's room but I stood outside it.The minute he said mom I need help (his pants wouldn't go together right.) I walked right in.The men said,"Yoooo!"
I told them my son needs help.(They laughed)

Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 AM

13,630 posts, read 12,253,936 times
At eight or nine, that seems to be really smothering the kid. I understand the safety concern, but it seems akin to putting a lifejacket on him when he goes to the pool after having taken swimming lessons at that age.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:20 PM

3,636 posts, read 3,407,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Your thoughts on this subject?
My thoughts are that your OP tell us you are against it - but despite the length of your OP you do not at any point explain why.

I can think of one or two good reasons - but not many - for our species to have sex segregated toilets. But for the most part they are not compelling. But what ones there are - are entirely diluted by the user of any toilet being accompanied by the opposite sex parent.

So rather than asking us our thoughts - perhaps you should explore your own discomfort and wonder what its roots may be.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,440,893 times
While there are stalls for toilets, and sometimes dividers for urinals, some of the stalls aren't very well enclosed, so it's possible for an outsider to peek in. I don't feel comfy when a guy looks in, but luckily none thus far have tried to stare into the stall.

For changing rooms, I can see how that may be more upsetting. Perhaps have the child stand in an empty shower stall and NOT look out? Alas, if they're curious, they're going to try to peek past the curtain anyways [shrug]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting