Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:54 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times

Advertisements

Scarlet , what are you so angry about, I wasnt picking on young mums.. but I know if I had to trurn back time to my mother or grannies days Id find it hard to cope..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I was just thinking of how long disposable nappies or diapers have been in shops.. think around the mid sixties here in the UK. but they were horrible like cardboard and not like the ones now... but I always used real nappies for all my children until my last son in the early 80s.... but wondered how the modern mother would cope washing and drying so many nappies a day.
Were they terry? I never saw that. The ones we used were of some very soft cloth but not terry. Don't know what it was but surely better than those disposables any day. The outer side of the disposables look as though they'd irritate baby's skin. No?

The soft ones are still around - in optical shops. They like them for polishing eye glasses. I don't. They seem to leave a film on the lenses. Nevertheless, they were so nice and soft for baby. Yes, they were extra work but aren't most things of good quality extra work?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
When I was a baby (in the 1980s) in Australia, the nappies / diapers were Terry Cloth. Actually, my mother had saved a number of them so I currently have them in my stash and use them for my son. The condition of them is still fine, so why not?

The American Pre-Folds definitely seem to be a different type of fabric. The ones I use are Indian Cotton, but they're still utilized in the same way. LOVE them!

Old 03-28-2014, 04:34 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
When I was a baby (in the 1980s) in Australia, the nappies / diapers were Terry Cloth. Actually, my mother had saved a number of them so I currently have them in my stash and use them for my son. The condition of them is still fine, so why not?

The American Pre-Folds definitely seem to be a different type of fabric. The ones I use are Indian Cotton, but they're still utilized in the same way. LOVE them!
Terry sounds great. More absorbant than the cloth ones we had, I imagine. But the cloth was soft. And, of course, re-useable. I've never had occasion to use those toss-away ones. Certainly time-savers they are but they look hot. Well, maybe I'd better say the ones I've seen do. Perhaps they've changed and gotten rid of that plastic cover? The babies certainly do not seem uncomfortable in them.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:22 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,470 times
Did anyone see Call the Midwife this past week? (Season 3 premiere in U.S.) There was a family with two babies living in a London apartment and washing nappies in the sink, the mom was talking about how she couldn't keep up with all the diapers and her hands were getting chapped so her husband had to wash them. Anyway it made me think of this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting