Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Disneyworld is so expensive these days don't take them until they are atleast 10. Take them to other nearby parks to get the themepark experience 1st.

They need to be all potty trained and walking on their own.

I see folks carrying their infants and todders to Disneyworld which is their choice but their kids won't remember or really enjoy the visit until they are a bit older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Does there have to be an age?
Nope. But my first visit was at 9 mos and I didn't meet the height minimum for the Autopia. BIG disappointment.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I guess this question only works for those with one child. Our eldest was 3 when he went for the first time, but we went with extended family so some of the cousins fit into the ages most are recommending. At 3, our son had a great time, but of course, the available rides are more limited. When he was 8, his brothers were 3 & 4, and we all went back. Again, we had a great time. If you plan ahead, it's really hard not to enjoy yourself. There are plenty of guides online to tell you what to pack, and how to see as much as possible without overload.

The benefit of going with pre-schoolers is that it's easier to travel during off-peak times and skip the worst of the crowds.

We've been several times since, but the next time we go I would look forward to seeing it strictly through the eyes of adults. My boys were bored to death with the Epcot flower show, I could have wandered around for hours.
BBM - Wasn't that flower and garden show great? I made sure to take my new Nikon and get some awesome pictures. My husband and daughter went on a ride while I admired the flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Hippy View Post
My son is not yet six, but he's been. We're actually going back in about two weeks to stay for ten days. We both love it. I feel like he really enjoys it. I am trying to plan two Disney trips a year.

I say take kids when you can. There's no perfect age.
My daughter has been to Disney several times since she was almost 2. Two of the best times were when she was 16 and just recently turning 18. It was her birthday wish and we were thrilled she chose to spend her b-day and Spring Break w/ her parents. She carefully planned out the days and loved Hollywood Studios the best, being she's going into TV Media. We only spent 1/2 a day at Disney and then hopped to the other parks for 3 days. The best time at Disney was a couple hours before closing (around 10 p.m.) to see the light show of Cinderella's castle and the Electric Parade.

Of course, her favorite park is Islands of Adventure, but that's for another thread.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Thanks for the advice. This is a once in a lifetime trip, we don't live in the US.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
My boys are 17 months and 3.5 years (autism) but we're planning well-ahead of time. Apparently there are passes for children with autism but I have another child and that isn't fair to him, so I need to wait until they are both capable of participating or I'm afraid we just won't go at all. I am hoping around 7-8??
My youngest was 4 when we went, and we used the GAC card for her. The system has changed to a DAS card since then, but they still have assistance for visitors with special needs. You just tell them about what kind of needs you have, and they will accommodate. The DAS card allows the person with special needs plus the rest of your party (up to 6?) to ride together with the card. For a child with autism who can't do lines, the DAS card basically works like a FastPass - you tell them what ride you want to go on, they check the wait time, write down your return time on the card, and then you come back after that time. You still wait the same amount, just not in the line. Once you've done that ride, you can sign up for another ride, one at a time.

For us, we didn't ask for anything that got us out of lines, all we asked for and got was the "stroller as a wheelchair" sticker. It allows you to bring your stroller anywhere that someone would be able to bring a wheelchair, which includes inside certain buildings where strollers are otherwise not allowed, and also into the ride lines. We didn't skip the lines, we just brought our stroller into the line with us. I have to say it was really super helpful. I brought a light blanket that we were able to drape in front of the stroller over the sun shade to make it like an enclosed tent inside if she needed a private space while waiting in the line. We also utilized touringplans and fast pass to minimize the wait time, as anyone can do, and we went in September at "slow" season. I was really concerned about how she would do, but it worked out very well for us and we only had one major meltdown where I had to take her out of the line (and that was because the ride broke down so we were in line extra long). Overall, she did really well and the cast members were super helpful and understanding. Also, we used a double stroller, which meant there was a seat for my other kid, or my niece, which was extra convenient.

Last edited by Jaded; 04-05-2014 at 12:51 AM..

Old 04-04-2014, 12:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I went at 19 (was an east coaster.) I went to Disney World at 8 an was fine mostly but nearly freaked on Space Mountain before loving it. I would say 8 is the perfect age to appreciate things.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:48 PM

419 posts, read 465,728 times
We took our eldest at age 3 and he says if I hadn't taken photos, he would never believe he'd gone to Disneyland. He doesn't remember a thing. The next time we went, kids were 13 and 9, they both enjoyed it.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Teenager.... if we're spending that kind of money to go to any disney resort I'm not wasting it on my child when they're too young to appreciate what's really happening. Also.. my first experience was when I was 8 years old and it wasn't the best experience so I would hate to put them through that and my wallet through that misery.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Thanks for the advice. This is a once in a lifetime trip, we don't live in the US.
If you won't be able to go back with the kids, then it may be best to wait until they're both over the age of 8. It increases the chances that they'll remember the trip. My daughter loved the trip when she was 5 or 6, but she doesn't remember a lot of it (although she likes looking at the photos we took).

Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Teenager.... if we're spending that kind of money to go to any disney resort I'm not wasting it on my child when they're too young to appreciate what's really happening. Also.. my first experience was when I was 8 years old and it wasn't the best experience so I would hate to put them through that and my wallet through that misery.
A teenager is much to old to take to Disney. If you really begrudge spending money on children....then it's probably best you don't go at all...because it's going to be a bigger waste to take a teenager to see a Disney Princess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting