Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times

Advertisements

Old enough to remember. I went to Disneyland, so I've been told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 02:51 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Teenager.... if we're spending that kind of money to go to any disney resort I'm not wasting it on my child when they're too young to appreciate what's really happening. Also.. my first experience was when I was 8 years old and it wasn't the best experience so I would hate to put them through that and my wallet through that misery.
Maybe we have teenagers with different interests, but I would find taking a teen to Disney kind of a waste if it's only going to be a once-in-a-lifetime type trip. Most teens aren't going to be hugely into the character thing and likely would be more into the rides than the 'Disney World' aspect. At that point why not just save your money and go to a non-Disney theme park?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:51 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Disney is for CHILDREN! We took ours since they were 3 weeks old! They love the colors, and lights, and most rides are for small kids anyway...

Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,470 times
I don't think it's a waste to take a teenager. We went for the first time when I was 13 and I had been hoping to go to Disneyland for so many years at that point that it was a dream come true. Sure, I wasn't into princesses and stuff at that point but I enjoyed everything thoroughly. I was actually glad that I got to experience it at an age at which I could go on all the rides.

(That being said, I'm hoping to take my kids before my oldest turns 12)

Old 04-04-2014, 06:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Maybe we have teenagers with different interests, but I would find taking a teen to Disney kind of a waste if it's only going to be a once-in-a-lifetime type trip. Most teens aren't going to be hugely into the character thing and likely would be more into the rides than the 'Disney World' aspect. At that point why not just save your money and go to a non-Disney theme park?
It depends, some never grow up and it isn't a bad thing.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I think it kind of depends. Some families are not that into Disney. That's ok...and if I went as a teen for the first time ..who knows. I grew up in Southern California and went to Disney from a very young age. So as an adult, it is more about nostalgia to me. My kids have been several times at different ages and I think it's a lot about nostalgia to them as well. That plus we have queasy stomach genes and serious roller coasters don't work for us so Disney works!

Old 04-04-2014, 07:00 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,961 times
Wait until the kids are much older. Know that Disneyland in summer is very hot, humid, and rain storms are intense. But ---be sure to do it before you are too old to enjoy doing crazy things with your kids.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Wait until the kids are much older. Know that Disneyland in summer is very hot, humid, and rain storms are intense. But ---be sure to do it before you are too old to enjoy doing crazy things with your kids.
Disneyworld maybe..Disneyland in the summer is not humid or subject to intense rain storms.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
What age do you think is ideal?

I'd like to plan a trip but our boys are both very young (toddlers) and it's a long flight/expensive stay. What age did you take your kids? We went at 6 (sis) and 12 (me) when young and I was going through that awkward teen stage where you don't want to be seen with parents, I didn't enjoy it that much.
I took my son when he was almost 7. He loved it, and so did I. We had a blast, stayed on property, for a week. It was just the two of us, so that might be easier than having TWO of them!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I took my daughter to Disney World in Florida twice, once when she was 3 and once when she was 7. I don't think she remembers the first time. However, I do. At 3, she still believed that Snow White was real, and when she saw Cinderella, she couldn't stop staring. When she was 7, of course, she knew that these were people in costume and her main focus was going on rides (which she did with her dad because I hate rides).

I get to keep those memories of that 3-year-old girl who believed she had entered a fantasy world, so I'm glad we did the trip at that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting