Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

This is so sad. Of course every new parent has a learning curve but most of us read everything we can get our hands on about child care, talk to experienced parents and make every effort to start our children off on the right foot. This is also why so many people are eager to adopt children as young as possible so long term damage isn't in place by the time we come into our children's lives.

What a Little Love Means to a Little One - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
My daughter is due next month and reality is beginning to set in. She has so many questions and doubts. I remember that feeling.

Unfortunately being a parent is the most important job in the world and yet requires no training. Many take the time to train and educate themselves. It's just a great big ojt experience

Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
I knew nothing about babies when I became pregnant. Luckily, I had nine months to read everything I could and take two different classes. Of course, all of the books in the world can't truly prepare you for the real thing, but it certainly helps.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Generations of parents had no online resource to read experiences and research.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:37 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,149 times
There are some things which we can be prepared for and there are some things which you dont know until you experience them. In my case, I read so many books, articles, talked to other parents etc. While it did help prepare me in terms of what to expect, there are 100 more things I wasnt prepared for. As to helping them grow and thrive, its also work in progress.
Its probably a little harsh to say 1/3rd of Americans dont know what to expect.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:01 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Taking the class on what to expect and what to do prior to the birth was a major help. It was still such a learning experience with our first born. Baby #2, who is 4 months old, was a much easier time. The biggest issues with #2 was trying not to push the milestones too early, if we forgot exactly when #1 hit them.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Many of my students become mothers when they are very young. I would say that very few of them know anything about child development, pre- or post-natal. What they "know" is mostly old wives tales that they are told by the other women in their families. The most startling thing is that they think that little babies can be bad.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Many of my students become mothers when they are very young. I would say that very few of them know anything about child development, pre- or post-natal. What they "know" is mostly old wives tales that they are told by the other women in their families. The most startling thing is that they think that little babies can be bad.
I've heard that from teachers. One told me there is a whole lot of child abuse that is never reported. Very often the very young mothers get new boyfriends after the baby is born and now you have another 16 or 17 year old trying to discipline a baby. The young step "father" will decide that its time for potty training when the baby is barely one years old and sees accidents as defiance.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Interesting, and yet very disheartening. I don't recall reading a single baby/infant book during my first pregnancy. A lot of the things I ended up doing came naturally to me as I observed them when my mother had my sister. I practiced AP before AP became a new, popular thing to do. It just seemed natural to me.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 PM

286 posts, read 450,167 times
I hate studies like these.. one third of parents...
Did they literally go door to door and ask people or get 500ppl (who could be like-minded) and survey them and come to the conclusion?.. yep the 2nd one.

"Four out of 10 infants born in the United States do not form a strong bond with either parent, and they will pay for that the rest of their lives." -B.S. statement how would they know that?

"40 percent of infants in the U.S. live in fear or distrust of their parents,"- more B.S. I can't take this article seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting