Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Believe it or not, there are people who naturally are drawn to healthier foods and dislike sweets.
I'm one of them. I don't like sugar. Chocolate is gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,503 times
The primary reason I'm reading that supports allowing kids to eat junk food is caving to peer pressure - not wanting the kids to feel that they are denied what everyone else is enjoying.

Is that really how we want to raise our kids? Is that really what we want to teach our kids? Do what everyone else is doing - regardless of the consequences for you.

What if we all quit doing it if that was our only reason? Wouldn't the peer pressure shift?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your kids are more likely to make unhealthy eating choices later in life because you give food "treats" as rewards.
I think that's a stretch. Think of the standard advice for potty-training - reward with m&ms or similar. Did everyone who's done it screw up their kids eating habits for good? I've never used candy btw, but I did offer healthy treats like dried fruit as reward.
If it's not overdone, I don't think there's any harm. Think about it - most adults will go out for a dinner or drinks to celebrate something. It's what people do, and most of them don't have food issues. Yes, weight-loss advice will tell you you should all go for a jog to celebrate instead, but how realistic is that.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
There is a balance that needs to be kept. When the children are very young, they won't know the difference so you feed them healthy snacks and food *and* eat healthy yourself. When they get out into the larger world (usually at 3 or 4), you can still keep things mostly healthy, but I would not forbid junk food once in a while. If you eat healthy, the kids will probably learn to eat that way as well and a bit of something sugary or salty will not hurt them as long as it is not all the time.

If you try to forbid foods, you will make them more desirable to the kids and that is probably not the best idea.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:49 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
IMaybe if we'd kept him away from the sugar for a while longer, he'd end up being one of those people without much of a sweet tooth. Believe it or not, there are people who naturally are drawn to healthier foods and dislike sweets.
My 7 y.o. daughter is one of those people. Her vice is the Japanese rice crackers with seaweed. As long as sugar/sweets aren't made/fussed into a big deal, they're going to stay that way.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
The primary reason I'm reading that supports allowing kids to eat junk food is caving to peer pressure - not wanting the kids to feel that they are denied what everyone else is enjoying.

Is that really how we want to raise our kids? Is that really what we want to teach our kids? Do what everyone else is doing - regardless of the consequences for you.

What if we all quit doing it if that was our only reason? Wouldn't the peer pressure shift?
It doesn't have anything to do with peer pressure for me. I believe children should have opportunities to make decisions in their lives because parents aren't going to always be around to make decisions for them.

Quote:
I think that's a stretch. Think of the standard advice for potty-training - reward with m&ms or similar. Did everyone who's done it screw up their kids eating habits for good? I've never used candy btw, but I did offer healthy treats like dried fruit as reward.
If it's not overdone, I don't think there's any harm. Think about it - most adults will go out for a dinner or drinks to celebrate something. It's what people do, and most of them don't have food issues. Yes, weight-loss advice will tell you you should all go for a jog to celebrate instead, but how realistic is that.
I have NEVER heard of rewarding with food for potty training. I potty trained my children without food. It's perplexing that parents are so food focused that they train and bribe their children with food.

I'm confident that time will prove to you that you're making a big mistake. You're doing two things wrong. You're rewarding with food and you're restricting access to food. You're being very controlling of food if your son doesn't have access to dried fruit. It wouldn't be a treat if he had access to it. Why can't your son get dried fruit whenever he wants? LOL

Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
As long as sugar/sweets aren't made/fussed into a big deal, they're going to stay that way.
Exactly.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:19 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
I have NEVER heard of rewarding with food for potty training. I potty trained my children without food. It's perplexing that parents are so food focused that they train and bribe their children with food.

I'm confident that time will prove to you that you're making a big mistake. You're doing two things wrong. You're rewarding with food and you're restricting access to food. You're being very controlling of food if your son doesn't have access to dried fruit. It wouldn't be a treat if he had access to it. Why can't your son get dried fruit whenever he wants? LOL
https://www.google.com/search?q=pott...%26ms&start=10

He can have dried fruit when he asks for it, but don't keep it within his reach because snacking on it uncontrollably is bad for teeth, will spoil appetite for meals, and would add up to too much sugar in general.
A lot of the time he wouldn't remember about it to ask, but was excited to get it as reward for going on the potty. We only had to do it for a short period to get him in the habit. We tried stickers and whatnot before, but it didn't work nearly as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
It doesn't have anything to do with peer pressure for me. I believe children should have opportunities to make decisions in their lives because parents aren't going to always be around to make decisions for them.

Oh come on....never heard of it? I honestly doubt that. It's quite common.

I would say at least half of my friends used the trick. (We didn't, my daughter was not food motivated.) I've seen boys potty trained in a week with Reese's pieces. (Took less than one small bag.).....and no, they aren't obsessed with candy to this day and didn't suffer any negatives.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
He can have dried fruit when he asks for it, but don't keep it within his reach because snacking on it uncontrollably is bad for teeth, will spoil appetite for meals, and would add up to too much sugar in general.
What food does your son have unlimited access to?

Quote:
A lot of the time he wouldn't remember about it to ask, but was excited to get it as reward for going on the potty. We only had to do it for a short period to get him in the habit. We tried stickers and whatnot before, but it didn't work nearly as well.
I know this isn't something you only did for potty training.

Just a couple of weeks ago, you posted that you use treats to bribe for good behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting