Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
Whenever we were spanked, it was in the bathroom, behind closed doors. I think that really spared the humiliation of it.

My one brother was spanked more times than my older brother and I were (combined). He was an out-of-control kid. He's a good young adult now, lives with my parents and helps the household financially, went to school for five years, and is working in the city full time (long hours) and is paying back his loans.

Looking back, we laugh at how many times he was spanked. My parents, too. There are no hard feelings. Maybe it was because they handled it right and didn't do it often and did it in a private area.

Same here. Being a good parent I feel is like being good at anything. One size doesnt fit all, and each child may have to be handled a bit differently. Kudos to you!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
You didn't have any chores growing up, and you grew up around maids. Your experience differs from the typical household of middle and upper middle class families.
I grew up in an upper middle class family. We certainly had chores, probably more than the vast majority of kids, real discipline and so on. Yet we were never hit. We all grew up to be responsible, productive adults. So has my own child, who was also not hit.

Hitting no more constitutes good parenting than not hitting does. Discipline is about so much more than punishment that it is alarming that you cannot discern that fact.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I grew up in an upper middle class family. We certainly had chores, probably more than the vast majority of kids, real discipline and so on. Yet we were never hit. We all grew up to be responsible, productive adults. So has my own child, who was also not hit.

Hitting no more constitutes good parenting than not hitting does. Discipline is about so much more than punishment that it is alarming that you cannot discern that fact.

It is alarming that you don't have enough emotional intelligence to understand that I never said spanking was a be all end all. I've never touched my kids, and hope I never have to. Thanks for the heads up Mr. Obvious. Perhaps you've lived a bit of a sheltered life!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 AM

133 posts, read 152,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
You didn't have any chores growing up, and you grew up around maids. Your experience differs from the typical household of middle and upper middle class families.
I suppose so? We just never hit each other. My parents thought people who resorted to violence were "low class" or "embarrassing". They are reserved people but I respected them as they respected me.

For me, I just think it's disrespectful and awful. I could never hit (spank) my son. He's apart of me. I can communicate with him and solve problems other ways.

I don't hit anyone.

Last edited by Frustrated Hippy; 04-09-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Denis Leary said it best when he said:

"I've got good kids, I love my kids. I try to bring them up the right way, not spanking them. I find that I don't have to spank them. I find that waving the gun around pretty much gets the same job done"!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM

400 posts, read 793,644 times
I just don't see how a little smack on a butt or hand is considered violence! We're not talking about kicking our kids or punching them. We're talking about disciplining them and, sometimes, using spanking as a last resort.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM

133 posts, read 152,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
I just don't see how a little smack on a butt or hand is considered violence! We're not talking about kicking our kids or punching them. We're talking about disciplining them and, sometimes, using spanking as a last resort.
The idea of "little smacks on the butt" makes me uncomfortable. No, it's not abuse but I just don't do that to my son. I don't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting