Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 04:17 AM

501 posts, read 933,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Hee, hee, hee.

The sad thing is people do care. People who are "class" conscious for all the wrong reasons! Early education in the United States is a joke. Not because it isn't taken seriously, quite the opposite. Parents still want to separate their children from "others" and insist on creating a "bubble of privilege" for their precious ones. This is why day care centers and early childhood education centers can get away with charging obscene amounts for basically babysitting children. I refuse to play the game.

It makes no sense to me to pay the amounts listed for day care unless the child is special needs or requires some form of specialized assistance with learning. Then it makes sense because you want your child to be able to excel later on in school when it really counts towards college. Academic competition should not begin in preschool or kindergarten.
Jaded, let's step aside from the class arguments for a moment.

My wife and I don't pay the amount that we do for daycare because we want to or because we feel it is classier. We pay the amount that we do because that is what the providers charge. I'd love to pay half the amount.

We live in the state that has the highest minimum wage anywhere in the United States, and many daycare workers are paid at or close to the minimum. Additionally we have a state that mandates low ratios and other factors that drive the cost of daycare through the roof.

If we lived in a different state 500 miles away our cost would be half the amount. Would it be the same? Who knows.

With that said, I can say unequivacally that my child is learning more, thriving better, and a happier child at daycare than she would have been staying at home with her mother. Her mom is a far better worker bee than early childhood educator. I can also say that my daughters childhood is far more interesting than my childhood was - I remember spending endless hours shopping with my mother and lots of time that I was rather bored, while my daughters day is filled with exciting things to do. That is the reason why we make the choices that we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Jaded, let's step aside from the class arguments for a moment.

My wife and I don't pay the amount that we do for daycare because we want to or because we feel it is classier. We pay the amount that we do because that is what the providers charge. I'd love to pay half the amount.

We live in the state that has the highest minimum wage anywhere in the United States, and many daycare workers are paid at or close to the minimum. Additionally we have a state that mandates low ratios and other factors that drive the cost of daycare through the roof.

If we lived in a different state 500 miles away our cost would be half the amount. Would it be the same? Who knows.

With that said, I can say unequivacally that my child is learning more, thriving better, and a happier child at daycare than she would have been staying at home with her mother. Her mom is a far better worker bee than early childhood educator. I can also say that my daughters childhood is far more interesting than my childhood was - I remember spending endless hours shopping with my mother and lots of time that I was rather bored, while my daughters day is filled with exciting things to do. That is the reason why we make the choices that we do.
State Minimum Wages | 2014 Minimum Wage by State

Your assumptions are all wrong.

http://usa.childcareaware.org/sites/...3%20110613.pdf

I suppose if you and your wife prefer to work vs being with your child, then maybe yes, she is better off in daycare but don't try to assert you have her where you do because of any other reason than you think it looks better to do so....based on your posting history you are very much concerned with what others think about you and you do have less expensive options but they aren't as fashionable in your mind. Those that are really at a level you claim to be are not bragging about it...

Old 04-16-2014, 06:10 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Such as? Why? and how do you know how much this happens? Because you saw it once?

Pneumonia? autocorrect I assume.

As you said, headstart is for low income families. There is a correlation between income and school performance. Poor kids don't do as well in school and have less parental involvement, in general. I assume that is because they are too busy worrying about where their next meal is coming from, and are less educated, and less able to and less likely to buy books and read them to their kids. Not all, but statistically... I don't know if it is "head start" but kids with learning disabilities, speech issues, and other qualifications can go to preschool for free here. Obviously those kids wouldn't perform as well in school as your average child, either. What I'm saying is, I don't think you make a fair comparison. There are other variables.

What level of school were you teaching 4 year olds? That would be preschool here. You are trying to compare kids who went to daycare or head start to kids who stayed at home. 4 years old IS preschool. If it was a public preschool, was it head start? I don't understand this part of your comparison.

sorry about the formatting. Not sure what happened.
Yeah, I spelled pneumonia wrong. I made my whole post up. My membership at CD has been a ruse to write this post and try to make you believe my tall tales. Great detective work.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
Yeah, I spelled pneumonia wrong. I made my whole post up. My membership at CD has been a ruse to write this post and try to make you believe my tall tales. Great detective work.
perhaps you could respond to the questions i asked.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM

32 posts, read 45,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes

I still have not heard what you're paying tens of thousands of dollars for a three year old to "learn" in daycare. Are there scheduled class periods, home room? Science and Algebra labs? I'm still not convinced that spending $25k+ on daycare a year is worth it, and that is due to the fact that an amount like that could pay for a prestigious private high school, or maybe a kid's first year in university. But...to be honest, you really are paying this amount of money for your daughter to go be babysitted? It's not going to matter much in the long run, because a portion of time in kindergarten is spent reteaching Pre-K concepts as well (I can't speak for all schools, but it my district the cord curricula is mandated both for private and public schooling but private is sans state standardized testing).

Throwing tens of thousands of dollars at a self-proclaimed academic daycare isn't doing anything for your daughter.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
perhaps you could respond to the questions i asked.
No, I'm not because you only see things the way you want to. I wrote a very concise response to someone else and you spun it to mean things I'm not even talking about. Where did you even get I walk talking about special needs children? You were very rude and you just see what you want.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:56 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
No, I'm not because you only see things the way you want to. I wrote a very concise response to someone else and you spun it to mean things I'm not even talking about. Where did you even get I walk talking about special needs children? You were very rude and you just see what you want.
because you mentioned head start. that's why i mentioned special needs. your 'concise' post was hard to understand, and it seemed you were forming a far reaching opinion about a narrow experience. that's why i asked for clarification. if you don't want to clarify i can't make you. i'm not too worried about it.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
because you mentioned head start. that's why i mentioned special needs. your 'concise' post was hard to understand, and it seemed you were forming a far reaching opinion about a narrow experience. that's why i asked for clarification. if you don't want to clarify i can't make you. i'm not too worried about it.
That's what I'm talking about, I said I've worked in more than one daycare and on top of that other jobs with children (including public schools) and get a "narrow experience".

Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
No wonder single moms are the largest group living in poverty. I have sometimes seen them advertising for babysitting help on craigslist offering a free place to stay in exchange for help watching their child.How desperate they must be to apply to strangers for help.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times
Quote:
Welcome to the Parenting Forum!

Where it's impossible to be right, even when everyone agrees with you.

My condolences...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting