Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,543 times

Advertisements

What is a fair pay for a nanny to watch an 18-month old overnight for a week while parent sgo out of the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naen2 View Post
What is a fair pay for a nanny to watch an 18-month old overnight for a week while parent sgo out of the country
$ 500,00 plus food

Old 08-04-2009, 08:53 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,089 times
So you don't mean overnight you mean all day and all night?

Is evertyhing provided? Do you know the nanny EXTREMELY well?

I would say if they didn't have to pay for any of the food or whatever came along and it wasn't a relative $500-$1000. You get what you pay for

If it is family or a close friend then they might expect less. But this is your child. They are worth alot!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 PM

109 posts, read 367,999 times
I have experience hiring nannies. Its usually $1000 a weekend for just a toddler and anything older for one child. For anything younger (dont even get me started on new borns) its usually more and it ranges from $1000- $1500 and up for weekends. Hiring a "babysitter" and a nanny are two completely different things. Nannies are expensive and like the previous poster mentioned, you get what you pay for. You can call any nanny agency and explain your situation, that you only want a nanny for one week, and they will send some out to you for interviews. They have already done all the pre-screening and background checks. They can give you weekly rates. My experience has been, for good ones, you pay about $1500 a week not including weekends and of course the prices can go up from there.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgecopper View Post
I have experience hiring nannies. Its usually $1000 a weekend for just a toddler and anything older for one child. For anything younger (dont even get me started on new borns) its usually more and it ranges from $1000- $1500 and up for weekends. Hiring a "babysitter" and a nanny are two completely different things. Nannies are expensive and like the previous poster mentioned, you get what you pay for. You can call any nanny agency and explain your situation, that you only want a nanny for one week, and they will send some out to you for interviews. They have already done all the pre-screening and background checks. They can give you weekly rates. My experience has been, for good ones, you pay about $1500 a week not including weekends and of course the prices can go up from there.

OMG, I guess I should be a Nanny! i will earn at least 75,000 a year. Sounds good to me.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
OMG, I guess I should be a Nanny! i will earn at least 75,000 a year. Sounds good to me.
LOL! I know. That is what I often think as well. Nannies do get paid very well (those that go by agency and those are about the only ones you want nowadays). There is a big difference in the pays between nannies and babysitters. Call up any nanny agency and get the quotes but my sister has hired nannies for 8 years now and I myself for three years now and that is the average you have to pay. Like I said, dont get me started on baby nurses. Geez, thats about 3,000 a week but you normally only hire those for about two months tops.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgecopper View Post
LOL! I know. That is what I often think as well. Nannies do get paid very well (those that go by agency and those are about the only ones you want nowadays). There is a big difference in the pays between nannies and babysitters. Call up any nanny agency and get the quotes but my sister has hired nannies for 8 years now and I myself for three years now and that is the average you have to pay. Like I said, dont get me started on baby nurses. Geez, thats about 3,000 a week but you normally only hire those for about two months tops.
Wow, and I can hardly afford my babysitter.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:02 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
I'm in the wrong business. I'm going to check on taking some Nanny Classes or whatever it takes.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I'm in the wrong business. I'm going to check on taking some Nanny Classes or whatever it takes.
LOL, I know what you mean. I was completely shocked when I first started researching nannies. It is absolutely crazy and they do get paid good money (from the agencies that is). Now that the economy has been down, it has lowered to about $1000 a week but I fully expect once the economy to pick back up for the price to go back up to $1500 for a M-F nanny.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 9,130 times
I am a nanny and want to weigh in. Yes, I'm very well paid. And...I am college educated, speak two languages, play and instrument, have a preschool teaching credential, raised twins, can drive, take the baby to the pediatrician, take the child to swim lessons, cook dinner with all the healthy food groups, do the grocery shopping, get the laundry done, arrange playdates/drive to them, am on call for any schedule change at any time (I don't live in) and work any and all hours requested. I have CPR, First Aid, and first rate references. I take my job as seriously as any true professional and never show fatigue, boredom, frustration. I work within the constructs of my family's cultural preferences and also keep a daily journal of the household life for the parents to read to know what's going on while they're gone. I'm dedicated to the wellbeing of these children and worth every penny of my pay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting