Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
She wanted the vaccine, doc said no. That is the sad thing.
If true, it's very sad. I remember when the cpx vaccine came out, in 1995. It had already been licensed for years in Japan. Still, some docs were saying, "let's wait and see". Sadly, what got the docs in metro Denver on the chickenpox vaccine bandwagon pretty quickly was the death of a child from chickenpox at Denver Children's Hospital.

The pneumonia vaccine that I think they're referencing in the article is Prevnar. It came out in 2000. Our office started using it right away, but some practices in town did not.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:02 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,773,425 times
I find it very difficult to believe that a reputable pediatrician or FP told this mom NOT to immunize her child. Hope that MD documented that the mother refused the vaccine, which is by far the more likely scenario. Sounds like mom is planning on trial by media in preparation for a lawsuit.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I find it very difficult to believe that a reputable pediatrician or FP told this mom NOT to immunize her child. Hope that MD documented that the mother refused the vaccine, which is by far the more likely scenario. Sounds like mom is planning on trial by media in preparation for a lawsuit.
I honestly saw a lot of resistance to the chickenpox vaccine in the early days. "It's a mild illness"; "It's a rite of passage"; yada, yada. It actually took some states passing laws to make it mandatory to get everyone on board. I don't know why they weren't giving Prevnar in 2001 at that practice (again, if true), but the Denver area Kaiser practices didn't use it then. I actually gave the fist Prevnar shot at the health department where I worked in 2000.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-15-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 05:12 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
Sorry for her loss. We all had chicken pox growing up and that was 100% normal though?

Dr refusal sounds more like Dr persuasion from reading the article. She could have gone to another Doctor.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:38 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The generation of parents not vaccinating their children never witnessed first hand what these diseases do, nor did they have any themselves. If they were just slightly more educated and understood life in an iron lung, maybe they would stop listening to people even less educated than they are.
Unfortunately, I had my son with DS vaccinated as I did with my other son because I was younger and not making an informed decision. I had German measles (rubella), the 3 day measles, mumps and chicken pox as did all the relatives and everyone at school. It should be about choice because of the unknown risks. We now practice homeopathic/natural medicine to avoid the horrors that came from the medical machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Immigrants, legal or illegal, are not the ones bringing vaccine preventable diseases to the US. It is legal visitors from and unvaccinated Americans who travel to countries where, thanks to Wakefield's fraud, immunization rates have dropped even lower than here.
Actually, you might want to do a little research on where some of these illnesses are coming out of. Look at the population of the towns. I see things like lice, bedbugs, etc. which I hadn't seen elsewhere. When we were NC and there was a breakout of one of those things to be vaccinated against, it was indeed an area known for its high amount of illegals.

Just like with the flu, they speak of the deaths but when further investigation is done, the people who have died are already ill and easily get and cannot fight off the illnesses. You must be make informed choices and that doesn't mean quoting the medical machine where money talks very loudly.

There are a lot of articles out there: MEASLES! MUMPS! RUBELLA! and I was just recently looking at this newsletter which is what got me looking further than all the articles that swamped me from the CDC and the "government": Autism-Vaccine Concerns Remain Widespread - Disability Scoop

Note that they claim that the vaccines did not/do not cause autism yet they do not know what does cause it. It comes down to who do you believe. One of the articles says that 1 in 68 children now have autism. I believe that those with more sensitive systems will have the most unfortunate outcomes from the vaccines.

We always heard that having the flu and other illnesses built the immune system and we surely see that now at 60 years old. I remember that parents used to expose their children to chickenpox, mumps and measles to get those out of the way. No one died or became disabled that I or my husband knew of and we came from different areas of the country.

With the internet, it is a whole new world and you can inform yourself and make your decisions without someone else telling you what you must do. Another source of information: Back-to-School Vaccine Rules

We don't get flu vaccines ever. We don't get vaccinations every year for our pets with the exception of rabies. Pharmaceuticals are BIG business, one of the very few left in the US but, sorry, not my body or that of my family or pets!

Since my son, now an adult, attended a day center, I got a good introduction of what autism looks like. It doesn't look like anything I ever saw in school. We had kids in special education, went to an area school for those that could not attend the regular school and went on a field trip to the state mental hospital. Where was autism then? It wasn't at any of those places.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:49 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,229,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Since my son, now an adult, attended a day center, I got a good introduction of what autism looks like. It doesn't look like anything I ever saw in school. We had kids in special education, went to an area school for those that could not attend the regular school and went on a field trip to the state mental hospital. Where was autism then? It wasn't at any of those places.
I can guarantee that you can't just spot autism like that. Do you know what the first comment people make to me is when they meet my boy? "Oh, he doesn't look autistic. He sure is friendly!!". He goes up to strangers and hugs them and calls them mommy or daddy. He can talk, with impediment, he is extremely sociable, and has never flapped his arms or squealed like the stereotypical perception most have Most people are grossly misinformed as to what autism can look like.

I had an uncle, who is now well into his 60's, who was a dull weird boy growing up on a farm. He would now be considered autistic. He was just "dumb" back then with a severe speech problem and spent the day milking cows. You wouldn't have seen him at school because he was "dumb" and couldn't sit well anyways. It goes well beyond that.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Unfortunately, I had my son with DS vaccinated as I did with my other son because I was younger and not making an informed decision. I had German measles (rubella), the 3 day measles, mumps and chicken pox as did all the relatives and everyone at school. It should be about choice because of the unknown risks. We now practice homeopathic/natural medicine to avoid the horrors that came from the medical machine.
Homeopathy? Oh jeez. Look, homeopathy has been proven to be as effective as placebo via double blond studies. There is no arguing that it does not work.

The dilutions mean there is literally NONE of the substance left. Ugh.

As for "natural medicine", such a mixed bag of stuff in there as to literally make the term meaningless. Again, more reasons to weigh things specifically as opposed to having this overly general philosophies.

Quote:
Actually, you might want to do a little research on where some of these illnesses are coming out of. Look at the population of the towns. I see things like lice, bedbugs, etc. which I hadn't seen elsewhere. When we were NC and there was a breakout of one of those things to be vaccinated against, it was indeed an area known for its high amount of illegals.
OMG. Look pesticide resistance is a known issue, so is the spread of insects due to shifts in climate. Insects are not spreading their range due to illegal immigration.

Quote:
Just like with the flu, they speak of the deaths but when further investigation is done, the people who have died are already ill and easily get and cannot fight off the illnesses. You must be make informed choices and that doesn't mean quoting the medical machine where money talks very loudly.
While I agree that it is always a good idea to balance the needs of society against the needs and risks to the individual, making a blanket statement like the one above is a mistake. Some healthy people die from the flu every year, you can quibble about how many and how often but it is a fact never the less.

Quote:
Note that they claim that the vaccines did not/do not cause autism yet they do not know what does cause it. It comes down to who do you believe. One of the articles says that 1 in 68 children now have autism. I believe that those with more sensitive systems will have the most unfortunate outcomes from the vaccines.
So what? We are not sure what causes black holes but I am equally as sure it is NOT vaccines. We are not even sure what autism is exactly, so expecting science to know what causes it is ridiculous. But we can say, through controlled studies, what does not cause it with great surety. And vaccines do NOT CAUSE autism.

Quote:
We always heard that having the flu and other illnesses built the immune system and we surely see that now at 60 years old. I remember that parents used to expose their children to chickenpox, mumps and measles to get those out of the way. No one died or became disabled that I or my husband knew of and we came from different areas of the country.
I also appreciate the power of evolution and natural immunity but you are wildly over stating things. People got the measles, mumps and so on BECAUSE THEY HAD NO OTHER CHOICE. That is also an undeniable fact.

Second, and most important to me. Not all illnesses nor all vaccines are created equally. You just tarred the flu with the same brush as measles. Measles is much more likely to have complications, and if you get those complication they are much more likely to be VERY serious, regardless of age (unlike the flu).

Quote:
With the internet, it is a whole new world and you can inform yourself and make your decisions without someone else telling you what you must do. Another source of information: Back-to-School Vaccine Rules
Sorry but anyone who uses "vactruth" as the basis for their information is inherently not informed. Ironic isn't it. I am pro-information, and I would advise people to read actual scientific articles at google scholar.

Quote:
We don't get flu vaccines ever. We don't get vaccinations every year for our pets with the exception of rabies. Pharmaceuticals are BIG business, one of the very few left in the US but, sorry, not my body or that of my family or pets!
See this is where the science matters. It is completely random that you chose to vax for rabies (when a very reliable titer is available) and then say you never get flu vaxs. Logic issues there.

I rarely get flu vaccine either, but I did this year, and I will for the next two. After that we will see.

Quote:
Ok, you are pro-information, let me help you. The reason you see autism now and didn't when you were a kid is due to the IDEA (1989) which replace the Education for Handicapped children act (mid 70s but I can't remember the exact year). Before that there were state laws the PREVENTED children with autistic like disabilities from even setting foot in the public school.

See this is why a little bit of information can be said to be a bad thing. You are taking personal observations, that are inherently flawed, and making grand sweeping choices based on that limited information and some bad science. Its a shame.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Sorry for her loss. We all had chicken pox growing up and that was 100% normal though?

Dr refusal sounds more like Dr persuasion from reading the article. She could have gone to another Doctor.
Did you miss the part where she says she was in rural Minnesota? He may have been the only pediatrician in her area. Many rural areas are like that. And many rural areas are way to far from towns and cities to have other options.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
^^^^^^^
Excellent post full of good information. But some folks don't want to be confused with facts.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,591,088 times
My son actually contracted chicken pox from the vaccine. Turns out it's the only one, I think, that uses a live virus. He only got the first dose. He's had all of his others though. Even Jenny McCarthy is starting to see the light from what I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting