Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I remember that parents used to expose their children to chickenpox, mumps and measles to get those out of the way. No one died or became disabled that I or my husband knew of and we came from different areas of the country.
I will never, ever understand this logic. Because you don't remember anyone getting seriously ill or dying from vaccine-preventable diseases they can't be that bad? Really? That type of statement is just inexcusable, there are a multitude of records available to counter such a statement.

Quote:
Get some info not being spoon fed by the government
Where do you get your information from? Where do the websites you posted links above get their information from?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So because it wasn't your personal experience it must not have happened?
I knew a boy that died of chickenpox....and another girl left blind in one eye from the measles and had a great aunt that walked with a limp due to polio.

And I am only in my 40s....can you imagine how it was before? Sad that some who view cherry picked information to be be better than actual science.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Get some info not being spoon fed by the government: MMR vaccine damage/reactions Adverse reaction and Death after MMR Vaccine | The Refusers and
The Dangers of the Measles Vaccine to Infants! MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) Vaccines: Adverse Reactions. Thinktwice! Vaccine Injury Compensation Programs — History of Vaccines

And, if you haven't tried homeopathy, I wouldn't knock it. Using natural medicine has greatly benefited our son with DS and the rest of the family. I just wish I had known about it before. And, of course, the medical machine will deny, deny, deny - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. As part of a healthy lifestyle, we will continue to make our own decisions. I feel sorry for people that aren't able to weigh the odds and try to intimidate others into following blindly behind them. Vaccines are big business as are many medical tests and procedures. Business is business.

Make informed decisions as these are your children and you will have to live with the consequences which ever way you decide so know that you did all the research that you could possibly do and then make the best decision that you can with the knowledge you have gained as that is the best that you are capable of doing and your kids deserve that.
Health care providers can't win for losing. The two big memes are:

They foist medicines and unproven cures on people who aren't sick to make money, AND
The withhold valuable treatment on people who are sick to make money.

People who say either of the above do not deserve to be taken seriously.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Get some info not being spoon fed by the government: MMR vaccine damage/reactions Adverse reaction and Death after MMR Vaccine | The Refusers and
The Dangers of the Measles Vaccine to Infants! MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) Vaccines: Adverse Reactions. Thinktwice! Vaccine Injury Compensation Programs — History of Vaccines

And, if you haven't tried homeopathy, I wouldn't knock it. Using natural medicine has greatly benefited our son with DS and the rest of the family. I just wish I had known about it before. And, of course, the medical machine will deny, deny, deny - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. As part of a healthy lifestyle, we will continue to make our own decisions. I feel sorry for people that aren't able to weigh the odds and try to intimidate others into following blindly behind them. Vaccines are big business as are many medical tests and procedures. Business is business.

Make informed decisions as these are your children and you will have to live with the consequences which ever way you decide so know that you did all the research that you could possibly do and then make the best decision that you can with the knowledge you have gained as that is the best that you are capable of doing and your kids deserve that.
Whaleto is not a good source of data. The history of the vaccine-injury compensation programs is better, but the fact is that it does NOT show that vaccines are any more dangerous than any medicine. All medicines have risks.

As for homeopathy, it doesn't work. There is no science that says that water can retain a memory of a few molecules of anything.

Of course homeopathy doesn't work

Quote:
Comprehensive research by the well-regarded Australian NHMRC concluded this week that homeopathy is ineffective. Prominent doctors declared it unethical to prescribe, and health funds told to stop subsidising it.
Homeopathy is bunk, study says | World news | theguardian.com

Quote:
“No good-quality, well-designed studies with enough participants for a meaningful result reported either that homeopathy caused greater health improvements than a substance with no effect on the health condition (placebo), or that homeopathy caused health improvements equal to those of another treatment,” read the report’s summary.

Last edited by Jaded; 04-15-2014 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^Agreed. And to me, the ironic thing about the homeopath's rejection of vaccines is that vaccines really are a case of "like cures like". You give a small, measured dose of virus/bacteria (sometimes live, sometimes killed), and you body produces antibodies to the disease w/o causing the disease itself! Isn't the immune system wonderful? It doesn't have to be "challenged" by getting deathly ill and/or having permanent hearing loss, mental retardation, paralysis, etc from the disease itself!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sad. I am becoming increasing intolerant of the anti-vaccine movement. I was reading the posts on one of the bigger organizations on Facebook this morning that has an astonishing 100,000 followers, where they were saying the flu vaccine doesn't protect against the stomach flu. Everyone was agreeing that "see, it doesn't work". I was completely flabbergasted at the complete and utter lack of education and understanding.
Yep. No such thing as the "stomach flu". It's just a term. I used to be on the fence but am becoming increasingly alarmed.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:05 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I've been pretty passionate about this issue, but I'm reading more and more articles about debating hot issues like this, and it seems to be the right approach is to be more conversational about it, and less argumentative about it. Which is admittedly tough for me because it really bothers me that people are taking advantage of our fairly good "herd immunity" numbers to skip out on doing their part. But, I'm going to strive to stop tossing out the numerous facts that support why one should vaccinate, and just start conversing about it more casually with more people. I've listened to a few NPR stories recently where parents of children who cannot be vaccinated due to health reasons seem to have a much better result when they simply tell their story, rather than arm themselves with all the science. because there's a core group of people who just will deny every piece of information you give them unless it supports a decision they've already made and aren't changing.

and, i just had my physical and got myself updated on DPT...something a lot of adults overlook is we need our boosters too.
As I did a few years back when a friend almost died from pertussis. Took them ages to even diagnose her because they weren't seeing it in adults so much at the time.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
If they were talking about a retroviral DNA treatment to reverse an inherited disease, I might agree to have second thoughts.

But we're not talking about cutting edge science here. This has been proven again and again and again, and CONTINUES to be studied ad nauseum in the literature to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that vaccinations are the safest, most studied, and most reliable method of disease prevention known to man beyond sanitation and a healthy lifestyle and diet.

I know a couple on facebook, have known them both since college, and they had a kid a couple years ago. They are wary of vaccinations and want to delay getting one. At the very least they agreed with me that they SHOULD get their kid vaccinated, the question was WHEN. I just rolled my eyes and said "as soon as your doctor recommends." That got the husband into a tirade of the vaccinations being a conspiracy of doctors to boost their bottom lines. I was like "uhh ... what? Vaccinations will REDUCE their bottom line because there's fewer sick people."

I just concluded their dumb and ignorant of what science is, and I chalk up the anti-vaccine fad as part of the dumbing down of America. Seriously ... makes me wish you could only reproduce by applying for it.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Health care providers can't win for losing. The two big memes are:

They foist medicines and unproven cures on people who aren't sick to make money, AND
The withhold valuable treatment on people who are sick to make money.

People who say either of the above do not deserve to be taken seriously.
If anyone think hcps are doing either of those, they are idiots.

The ones I hear far more often are that big pharmalogical companies are doing those things. And the reality is that the only reason those ideas get any traction, is to varying degrees (mostly small IMO) there is some truth to it.

Vaccines get caught up in that issue when the really shouldn't. Most vaccine science, and indeed some of the vaccine formulations themselves pre-date big pharm. But yes, pharmaceuticals are big business, vaccines otoh are not, they account for some small perecentage of worldwide profit. Look at monstrously profitable drugs like Lipitor, which makes billions of dollars of profit all by itself, all vaccines of all companies together don't generate that kind of money.

Thank goodness that percentage is stable because otherwise there wouldn't be much reason for big pharm to continue to manufacture and generate new vaccines. Big pharma doesn't care if you vax your kid or not, it's not effecting their bottom line.

Last edited by lkb0714; 04-16-2014 at 07:39 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Why is this an issue? The researcher who started this admitted to falsifying his research and is not allowed to practice medicine in the UK. He's a quack and so is anybody who believes him.

Andrew Wakefield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.