Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

This anti vaccine movement is so dangerous. Diseases we long ago thought had been erradicated are now causing deaths. Imagine the guilt this poor woman is dealing with.

Mom Whose Child Died of Chicken Pox Advocates for Vaccines - ABC News

Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Sad. I am becoming increasing intolerant of the anti-vaccine movement. I was reading the posts on one of the bigger organizations on Facebook this morning that has an astonishing 100,000 followers, where they were saying the flu vaccine doesn't protect against the stomach flu. Everyone was agreeing that "see, it doesn't work". I was completely flabbergasted at the complete and utter lack of education and understanding.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
The baffling thing to me is how celebrity helped to spread this movement. honestly...who would take the medical advice of an uneducated "actress" who now says her son was never autistic in the first place.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
I have an autistic child and still get comments from people as to why I would vaccinate his younger sibling. You have no idea how many people believe internet conspiracies until you have a child who has something they think was caused by it.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The baffling thing to me is how celebrity helped to spread this movement. honestly...who would take the medical advice of an uneducated "actress" who now says her son was never autistic in the first place.
An "actress" who smokes, and voluntarily injects the most acutely lethal toxin known to man into her face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I have an autistic child and still get comments from people as to why I would vaccinate his younger sibling. You have no idea how many people believe internet conspiracies until you have a child who has something they think was caused by it.
That's a good point, and must be tough to respond to.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
I've been pretty passionate about this issue, but I'm reading more and more articles about debating hot issues like this, and it seems to be the right approach is to be more conversational about it, and less argumentative about it. Which is admittedly tough for me because it really bothers me that people are taking advantage of our fairly good "herd immunity" numbers to skip out on doing their part. But, I'm going to strive to stop tossing out the numerous facts that support why one should vaccinate, and just start conversing about it more casually with more people. I've listened to a few NPR stories recently where parents of children who cannot be vaccinated due to health reasons seem to have a much better result when they simply tell their story, rather than arm themselves with all the science. because there's a core group of people who just will deny every piece of information you give them unless it supports a decision they've already made and aren't changing.

and, i just had my physical and got myself updated on DPT...something a lot of adults overlook is we need our boosters too.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's a good point, and must be tough to respond to.
When I bring my older (autistic) son with my younger one for vaccinations, the nurses always breathe a sigh of relief. Where I live (Canada), these vaccinations are done at large nurse centres rather than doctors, and they call you the day before to make an appointment. Apparently, they often deal with mothers who refuse to bring babies in as a result of Dr. Google. Oy

Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM

286 posts, read 450,383 times
I can't believe her Dr steered her against it.. I wonder if he was ever reprimanded.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:14 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sad. I am becoming increasing intolerant of the anti-vaccine movement. I was reading the posts on one of the bigger organizations on Facebook this morning that has an astonishing 100,000 followers, where they were saying the flu vaccine doesn't protect against the stomach flu. Everyone was agreeing that "see, it doesn't work". I was completely flabbergasted at the complete and utter lack of education and understanding.
See...sometimes "minding other people's business" comes in handy.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
See...sometimes "minding other people's business" comes in handy.
Erm, public health is everyone's business. I'm not really understanding your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting