Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:47 PM

39,150 posts, read 27,554,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
In another thread about teen pregnancy, there is a debate about whether or not a baby should be given the father's last name.

I personally think that the baby should have the mother's last name, unless the parents are married. (Especially in cases of teen pregnancies.) if the father sticks around and is a good father, then the last name can be changed or hyphenated.

Thoughts?
Why debate? You name your child however you want to, it is none of other people's businesses. My oldest brother has my dad's last name, my other brother has both my mom and dad's last name, my sister has my uncle's last name, I have both mom and dad's last name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,572,453 times
Where I come from, its always the dad's name which is given to the children. Should it be that way? No. It should depend on who is caring for the child (caregiver).

Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,697,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
If you dont think people make 1,000 assumptions about you just by looking at you, you're wrong. I'm not justifying that, just telling you how it is. We can agree to disagree, or you can frantically keep hitting refresh in effort to tear apart every post I make.
Of course people make assumptions....but honestly, most people know that assumptions based on the names in a family are likley going to be wrong.

What do you do when you meat a Cuban family?

Old 04-15-2014, 02:16 PM

30,943 posts, read 22,022,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This. ^^^

It's less confusing all around. Especially when multiple fathers with different last names are involved and less stigma.

I'll add that if the children live exclusively with the father, then the father's last name should be used.

My personal preference is the traditional way - get married first, and give your child their father's name. Most people still give the father's last name only. That is my preference too, in the standard situation of married parents.
That would be my personal preference. I'm glad I'm not raising kids and feel that this generation has so many confusing issues to deal with that were not even a thought in the recent past.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,745,642 times
Idk what is a good answer except we already make it too hard to be a parent and create deadbeats. Why alienate another parent by not giving one parent a voice in naming there child or having the honor of having the child have there lastname? Or anyother situation?

Old 04-15-2014, 03:15 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,697,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
That would be my personal preference. I'm glad I'm not raising kids and feel that this generation has so many confusing issues to deal with that were not even a thought in the recent past.
Confusing? People name their kids what works for them....people know them by their name. What is confusing?

The 'past' wasn't always has great as people want to remember. I'll take a few extra last names over all that.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:16 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,380,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
There's a gotcha in this scenario. The unmarried father's last name will likely never change. The mother's might. If the mother gives the child her maiden name, and then subsequently marries a different man, you've got a child whose last name doesn't match either parent.
Lots of women I know did not take their husbands name, so I see that as a non issue. I think the naming thing is entirely dependent on the situation.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,713,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
In another thread about teen pregnancy, there is a debate about whether or not a baby should be given the father's last name.

I personally think that the baby should have the mother's last name, unless the parents are married. (Especially in cases of teen pregnancies.) if the father sticks around and is a good father, then the last name can be changed or hyphenated.

Thoughts?
I am married and never took the hubbys name, hyphenated on about three documents than got annoyed and stuck with my own name. Our daughter has his last name.

We almost didn't get married (not important to either of us in the slightest) and I still would have given her, her fathers last name. But, one of her middle names is my last name.

As a woman who has been raising a child with a different last name for the entire 19 years of that child's life, it has literally caused ZERO issues and we travel abroad frequently. I have never had an issue with people calling me the "wrong" name in school or elsewhere, mostly because it happened so rarely. If anything it is much more common here for children to have a different name than their mothers than their fathers.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,888,244 times
I am an older woman and seriously think that women should not take their husband's name when they marry. I did, but I swear it creates other problems. For example, when I transferred my license to Texas, I had to have my marriage license and my birth certificate even though I had been married for 40 years. All because my married name was different than the name I was given when I was born. (Of course, it WAS in Texas).

Old 04-15-2014, 04:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,713,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Tradition? I dont know, personal choice I guess, but I would think everyone in the "family" having the same last name would prevent a lot of confusion and add to the sense of unity within the family. Sounds cliche, but just being too "lazy" to change it seems like a silly reason. I know there are other reasons, but several of my couple friends have told me that in the past.
My reasoning wasn't lazy but practical. My last name is how I had been known my entire personal and my professional life. All of my pubs were in my own name, if I changed it, I become disconnected from my professional work. All of my scientist girlfriends have done the same. Some of us may use hubbys name socially but none of us have changed it legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting