Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times

Advertisements

In another thread about teen pregnancy, there is a debate about whether or not a baby should be given the father's last name.

I personally think that the baby should have the mother's last name, unless the parents are married. (Especially in cases of teen pregnancies.) if the father sticks around and is a good father, then the last name can be changed or hyphenated.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
I think if the parents aren't together, then the baby should have the name of the primary caregiver, whether that be the mother or the father.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
I don't think it really matters. My kids have their fathers name since birth, we are not married. In some places, nobody changes names after marriage and here, single/married, it doesn't matter, all kids have different surnames from their mother. I find it bizarre to treat dads name as a 'gift' contingent on whether a woman judges him a good father or not, but I guess that's a cultural notion I'll never understand.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
If they're not married and don't live together, I think the kid should have the last name of whomever he or she lives with. If they do live together, probably the mother's. If the parents are married, it's easier if everybody has the same last name.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I think if the parents aren't together, then the baby should have the name of the primary caregiver, whether that be the mother or the father.
In a case like the OP's with teen pregnancy, then this.

If the couple have plans to build a committed household, relationship, or marriage together then they should work out which name they want the child to have as part of that process.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM

286 posts, read 450,306 times
I agree with Natsku..
I never thought about it like that, it should be the primary caregiver's name. They're the ones sacrificing.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
Primary caregiver. If it's the mother who's most involved in the kid's life, enrolling her in school, attending functions, going to conferences, etc, it causes less confusion for them to have the same last name.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I think they should have whatever reasonable last name the birth-mother wants them to have, until such time as the birth-mother relinquishes custody over the child, if ever.

If Susan Smith gives birth to a bouncing baby boy, she should have every right to name her son Joe Jones, if that's what she wants to do. It really isn't anyone's business what the kid's last name is, other than the Social Security office.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think they should have whatever reasonable last name the birth-mother wants them to have, until such time as the birth-mother relinquishes custody over the child, if ever.

If Susan Smith gives birth to a bouncing baby boy, she should have every right to name her son Joe Jones, if that's what she wants to do. It really isn't anyone's business what the kid's last name is, other than the Social Security office.
I'm confused. Are you saying that Mom should just pick out a nice last name and give it to her child?

Hmm, the name Jones sounds nice. Or is Jones the last name of the biological father? Or the last name of the rich man that she wants to "trap" into marriage? Or the name of her next door neighbor who she hates and wants to get him in trouble with his wife? Or the name of her college professor who she wants to get fired?

Please clarify. As I must be missing something.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,888 times
There's a gotcha in this scenario. The unmarried father's last name will likely never change. The mother's might. If the mother gives the child her maiden name, and then subsequently marries a different man, you've got a child whose last name doesn't match either parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting