Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,724 times

Advertisements

I've got a 9 year old son. He knows a boy he was in 1st grade with. In 1st grade, they had a lot in common and had regular play dates. As they've gotten older, their interests have moved apart. My son is very sporty and this other kid is pretty quiet and reserved...maybe a bit awkward. He's very nice but he and my son just don't have anything in common anymore and honestly when this other kid comes over he ends up playing with my younger son who is 7.

My son doesn't really want to have play dates with this kid anymore. Not a big deal, as I don't contact the mother to schedule them.

Here's the issue, this,other kid is an only child and lives in the country, so the mother is regularly contacting me to attempt to schedule play dates. I usually make some excuse and I never initiate contact with her but she doesn't seem to get it. I feel bad telling her that my son has just moved on and in wondering how any of you have handled a similar situation? I want to be nice but my son is just not interested and I've tried to subtly let it go but this other mom just doesn't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I've got a 9 year old son. He knows a boy he was in 1st grade with. In 1st grade, they had a lot in common and had regular play dates. As they've gotten older, their interests have moved apart. My son is very sporty and this other kid is pretty quiet and reserved...maybe a bit awkward. He's very nice but he and my son just don't have anything in common anymore and honestly when this other kid comes over he ends up playing with my younger son who is 7.

My son doesn't really want to have play dates with this kid anymore. Not a big deal, as I don't contact the mother to schedule them.

Here's the issue, this,other kid is an only child and lives in the country, so the mother is regularly contacting me to attempt to schedule play dates. I usually make some excuse and I never initiate contact with her but she doesn't seem to get it. I feel bad telling her that my son has just moved on and in wondering how any of you have handled a similar situation? I want to be nice but my son is just not interested and I've tried to subtly let it go but this other mom just doesn't get it.
Gentle honesty. It doesn't do Mom or kiddo any favors if you lie. It's harder this way...and BY NO MEANS do you need to be mean...but explain the situation.

You mention that the boy is well behaved and plays well with your younger son....can you maybe 'transfer' the formal play dates to him? Boys mature all over the place....it might be good for both the younger and the older kid to be honest. If this isn't possible in your view...then disregard it....but please do think about it.

By you letting the other mother know that your older son is not working out...it may provide the push she needs to find other outlets for her son. It can be as hard for mothers to approach people as kids....and she is comfortable with you. Don't ruin that by being rude...but please do be supporting while being honest. Maybe offer some suggestions for other classmates that would be a better fit for her son while you are talking about it.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 PM

112 posts, read 292,729 times
We don't do "playdates" after around 1st grade here. What I mean by that is that I got tired of being responsible for other people's kids. My kids have tons of neighborhood friends that come and go as they please but I don't typically drive and schedule time for my kids to play. They just play.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyreinphx View Post
We don't do "playdates" after around 1st grade here. What I mean by that is that I got tired of being responsible for other people's kids. My kids have tons of neighborhood friends that come and go as they please but I don't typically drive and schedule time for my kids to play. They just play.
That's basically how it works for us now. We live in a neighborhood with tons of kids so my kids have lots of friends close by. It's only this one kid whose mom keeps pushing it. They live in a remote location which she admits is an issue for her son. My son NEVER wants to go there so when I do kind of nudge him to play with this kid it's always at our house.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,629 times
OP does his mom usually stay at your place while the kids are playing? If yes, then the only option for you is to gently tell her that the play-dates doesn't seem to be working anymore for xyz reasons.
If she doesn't usually stay, how about inviting her to stay over for tea and cake while the kids 'play'? Maybe, if she sees whats happening, she will not attempt to initiate again?

Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,433 times
One of my children used to have playdates with another child who also has special needs. While my child has matured, changed and moved on, the other boy has had a hard time. His mother knows the boys have drifted apart, but her son continues to ask for the playdates. That puts the burden on me and my son for a response. My son tries to be empathetic, but I have told him that he is free to say no if he doesn't want to go (most recently, the mom talked to my child directly while I was out; the boys are teens). Generally, we have other plans since we are pretty busy.

In your case, I think the lack of options is what is driving the mother to continue seeking playdates. Also, her son could be asking for the playdates. You could tell her the truth in a different way ("the last time he was here, the two of them hardly played together at all; he was hanging out with my younger son more"). Admittedly, it's not the direct approach, and I will confess that if I feel for the child, I won't be the most direct person. But telling her each time that your son is unavailable for has other plans will work if you are consistent.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
I agree with bowian, it sounds as it your son is the boy's only friend and only social engagement. However if your son doesn't want to hang out anymore you aren't under any obligation.

For perspective, I am on the other side, my son not having a lot of friends. However I did get the hint and stopped asking. I would be honest with the mother next time she calls and just say they have grown apart.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 AM

546 posts, read 1,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyreinphx View Post
I agree with this. Maybe you could tell the mom your son usually prefers just to play out with his friends in the neighborhood and you aren't really able to schedule play dates because he usually has his own agenda/plans or something to that effect.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post

So let the kid come over and play with the 7 year old. His mother probably wants him to have some social interaction. This is sad that this mother should have to "get" anything.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
So let the kid come over and play with the 7 year old. His mother probably wants him to have some social interaction. This is sad that this mother should have to "get" anything.
I don't really understand this response. So, my son has kind of moved on from this friend due to different interests and you think I should just have this kid over and have my younger kid play with him? What should I do when the mother asks for my son to come to their house? Should I just send the younger one instead? This mom schedules play dates with lots of kids, in fact once he went straight from my house to another play date at another's kids house. I actually found that a bit odd, like the mom is actually trying to unload him on others so she has more free time or something.

Thanks to others who have provided thoughtful responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting