Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Dad's Passionate Poem: 'To the Boys Who May One Day Date My Daughter'

Quote:
It's hard not to feel like there's a bit of agency robbed of the daughter, and an old, very familiar narrative playing out: The patriarch shielding the woman from the world. In its extreme, the idea that women are delicate flowers in need of defending and safeguarding is how we end up with stuff like purity balls and burqas.

Women are humans, and emotional injuries, like getting hurt and having your heart broken, are part of normal human development. Parent does acknowledge his daughter's strength — "You can't make fire feel afraid" — but wouldn't you love to hear the other side of this? "To the Boys Who Want to Date Me But Are Intimidated Because My Dad Is So Aggro: Please Try Anyway, We Don't Have to Be in Love, I Just Want to Freaking Make Out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Those of you cheering on the dad, how do you feel about shotgun weddings?
I'm not against them -- there used to be plenty of them -- the man was expected to be responsible for the children he helped conceive, he was supposed to stick around and help raise them. Today it's the norm for the girl to be knocked up and he runs.

I know plenty of people where the baby essentially planned the wedding and they're still married 30 years later.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Feminism isn't about rising the feminine above all else though, its about rising women up to be equal with men, not above them. Supporting equality is supporting true feminism. A lot of supposed feminists aren't like that though, so its easy for people to get the wrong idea about it. I used to think the same way until I started talking with actual feminists.
Not really -- the feminists have another "solution" for the daughter. She can accuse the boy of date rape and have him thrown in prison.

Not so much equality when far more males are accused of date rape than females are --- the consent seems to not be there in many cases.

Last edited by golfgal; 04-24-2014 at 06:54 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 07:36 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Feminism isn't about rising the feminine above all else though, its about rising women up to be equal with men, not above them. Supporting equality is supporting true feminism. A lot of supposed feminists aren't like that though, so its easy for people to get the wrong idea about it. I used to think the same way until I started talking with actual feminists.[/les aQUOTE]

Not really -- the feminists have another "solution" for the daughter. She can accuse the boy of date rape and have him thrown in prison.

Not so much equality when far more males are accused of date rape than females are --- the consent seems to not be there in many cases.
Source? Do you have some numbers to support your assertion that there are many cases of men who have sex on dates without giving consent? (IE are raped - by women?) And if they are, they are the ones who are burdened with the accusing, just as women are.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Feminism isn't about rising the feminine above all else though, its about rising women up to be equal with men, not above them. Supporting equality is supporting true feminism. A lot of supposed feminists aren't like that though, so its easy for people to get the wrong idea about it. I used to think the same way until I started talking with actual feminists.[/les aQUOTE]

That is most certainly not a feminist position. I wonder where you ever got that idea.

Last edited by golfgal; 04-24-2014 at 06:55 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
I'm not against them -- there used to be plenty of them -- the man was expected to be responsible for the children he helped conceive, he was supposed to stick around and help raise them. Today it's the norm for the girl to be knocked up and he runs.

I know plenty of people where the baby essentially planned the wedding and they're still married 30 years later.
I know, I have a few in my family tree. I'm wondering whether this aggressive sheltering has the same motivation or not. On one hand, the vigilance over a daughter's innocence and virtue is the same, but on the other, the people from those days would probably be appalled by the coddling and extended adolescence of kids today. It seems like we've swung the other direction quite a bit.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The attitude is corrosive to both women and men. Just because it's funny it doesn't make the attitude any less corrosive.

Why should a man have to answer to anyone for having consensual sex with a woman?
I DO see the humor in the OP, I really do. I raised both my son and daughter to respect themselves and others, that no mean no, to accept responsibility, etc. I think they turned out just fine.
I agree with what you're saying though to Momma Bear, but you need to know that in CD land, it's only funny if it pokes fun at males, and anyone not finding it funny is uptight, etc. Jokes/satire poking fun at females is NEVER funny, ever; and anyone who laughs at it is a misogynist, and will be ridiculed as such by others here

Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:

That's not a feminist solution, that's a nutso solution. And its something I hear more from men (the fathers of the girls) than women.

Last edited by golfgal; 04-24-2014 at 06:56 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 12:05 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I know, I have a few in my family tree. I'm wondering whether this aggressive sheltering has the same motivation or not. On one hand, the vigilance over a daughter's innocence and virtue is the same, but on the other, the people from those days would probably be appalled by the coddling and extended adolescence of kids today. It seems like we've swung the other direction quite a bit.
Swung we have! I never thought I'd live to see daycare centers at high schools or reality TV shows about teenage pregnancy. Okay, back on topic...

I'm sure the father is being facetious. Unfortunately too many young girls end up in bad relationships because the guys they attract know that she isn't protected or cared for...you need solid parents to instill this in girls. Yes, girls. Who are much more vulnerable than young boys when it comes to "wanting to be loved." Although this article was written in Australia, I think it has truth globally:

The Importance of a Father's Love in Daughter's Healthy Development

Old 04-26-2014, 04:40 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
over protective fathers, are sometimes a guilt ridden reflection of what they, themselves did when younger-
they don't want to see their own daughter with a guy like himself-when he was a young and dumb teenager, and did not have honorable intentions.

i see two extremes..i see role models for girls being horrendous in movies and music,,, and no father figures around..i see single mothers letting their young daughters dress and do whatever they want,,,very destructive...

on the other end of the spectrum...if girls are raised with self confidence,,,they are not shrinking violettes,,and will not allow any boy to do what they dont want to do..
the girls today, with a positive attitude can do and be whatever they want to be,,and will not let some ill-intentioned boy get in her way-

I taught my son to be respectful of girls, and never pressure them to do anything they dont want,,and if you ever see another girl in a harful situation (drunk, or being abused) be her saviour-help her out- its banked karma

but i also taught him,,,you need to be a strong enough man not to be walked on- some girls have very strong personalities, and they need to be challenged,,, or they will run you over,,and they dont want a wimpy guy

its interesting, he's in college,, he said he can be a perfect gentlemen, just be nice, and the girls will approach him
girls didnt approach guys years ago, but its different now- but also communications are so different,,,its so easy to text someone now and hint around..,,,,,no risk of rejection ,,like it use to be,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting