U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:47 PM

16,242 posts, read 23,278,683 times

Advertisements

At six, I found a good whipping with a paddle or belt usually clears up any behaviour issues. Kids have tantrums in an attempt to control adults or to force adults into doing something the child desires. If you get the belt and show the kid who the boss really is, he will not use that method anymore. At least that has been my experience with mine. One of my boys tried the tantrum method a few times but one Sunday when he decided he didn;t want to get dressed for church, I took out the paddle and used it on his behind. That ended the problem.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-09-2007, 09:04 PM

345 posts, read 1,521,366 times
you are kidding me right??

Old 12-10-2007, 05:25 AM

834 posts, read 4,683,889 times
Default thanks

Thanks everyone for responding. I appreciate your support!
Nicolepsy...I think you're right...he was tired.
Kuan...you hit the nail on the head...misplaced expectations and thinking that he should be the one to bust open the pinata was right on.
Marlow...very intuitive response. I totally agree. Same with cdc's response. And next year we will not have a pinata. He gets too territorial with it.
As for hitting my child with a belt or with anything else, I choose to use my mind and intellectual abilities to parent, not physical intimidation or physical dominance. I can not fathom hitting my child.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,692,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
At six, I found a good whipping with a paddle or belt usually clears up any behaviour issues. Kids have tantrums in an attempt to control adults or to force adults into doing something the child desires. If you get the belt and show the kid who the boss really is, he will not use that method anymore. At least that has been my experience with mine. One of my boys tried the tantrum method a few times but one Sunday when he decided he didn;t want to get dressed for church, I took out the paddle and used it on his behind. That ended the problem.
My parents did the same thing; I can't remember my brother or I ever throwing a tantrum. They probably beat it out of us pretty early on. We never would have gotten away with what the OP's kid did; as soon as those kids were out the door, we'd have had one last chance to chill out while dad or mom counted to ten.

We turned out fine, by the way.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:34 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,380,547 times
but there are so many other/better ways to deal with such behavior other than a belt. belt=not good!
Quote:
Any such behaviour from mine would not have lasted 20 minutes. It would have lasted about 20 seconds- until he saw the belt coming off.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:38 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,380,547 times
kids can also have tantrums because of other reasons. i dont think it is to control adults or force adults. i think if you teach the child that no negative displays of emotion will be tolerated then they will grow up having trouble displaying other kinds of emotion including positive ones. kids dont have the self discipline yet to control their behavior. give them a bit of a break will you?
Quote:

Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,486,180 times
Since any kind of corporal punishment would be fruitless at this point since it's a few days later, I have an idea that might help him to realize that there are consequences for his behavior.

I know at 6 his writing skills are minimal- but maybe ask him to write a note to each of the families (it's only two so not to big of a job) apologizing for his behavior and thanking them for coming to his party.

And mine is a teen so I forget where he was with writing at that age- if it's just not possible, maybe you need to take him to visit each of those families to personally/verbally apologize and say thank you.

It would be a little uncomfortable and embarassing for him but he will learn an important lesson.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:14 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,072,602 times
He was tired, sugared up and disappointed. Do not miss the opportunity to explain the consequences of these evil combinations to him.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,705,963 times
Quote:
Must be prefaced with, "I'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT."

Poor little guy was worn out. I like the writing little apology notes idea. Express yourself, but know there are consequences if it is inappropriate.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 AM

12,709 posts, read 12,768,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
As for hitting my child with a belt or with anything else, I choose to use my mind and intellectual abilities to parent, not physical intimidation or physical dominance. I can not fathom hitting my child.
Wow, and your 6-year-old has tantrums. Knock me over with a feather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.