Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:14 PM

8 posts, read 36,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
My son lost it. He wanted to hit the pinata again. He had a major, full blown tantrum right in front of everyone and therefore, missed out on even picking up the candy from the ground.
I was so pissed and embarrassed. He had a great party up until then, then it all went to hell. He was crying so hard that he missed out on thanking his guests and seeing them to the door. The families left and the tantrum continued for at least 20 more minutes...screaming, yelling, etc.
What the hell???? I thought six year olds shouldn't act like that? I think my son may be emotionally behind? He acted like a two year old.
Any thoughts???
This may help you deal with the meltdowns
www.loveandlogic.com

Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I don't agree with this. If the boy's mother told the parent's of the children who were invited they could't bring their other children, he would have had NO party and NO friends there. What were the other parent's supposed to do, pay a babysitter to watch their other children because it was an "exclusive" party and their other children were not welcome? Tell one of their children they are invited, but the others have to stay home with a sitter because the guest of honor doesn't want them there?
I've had birthday parties with one other person -- that makes two.

Parties can be exclusive, yes.

The parents can stay home with the siblings. Three kids is easy to manage. It would have been a nice private affair.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
Around here it would be considered extremely rude for siblings to also attend a birthday party. Maybe it is different in some areas, though.
If your name is on the invitation, you are invited, right?

In our school community its increasingly common to invite the sibs so as not to leave anyone feeling left out. Its been taken to a level where I'll actually decline for one or the other sibling because it just seems unecessary . But truly, I aprpeciate the gesture.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:13 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
If your name is on the invitation, you are invited, right?

In our school community its increasingly common to invite the sibs so as not to leave anyone feeling left out. Its been taken to a level where I'll actually decline for one or the other sibling because it just seems unecessary . But truly, I aprpeciate the gesture.

I'd be ticked if I had to bring my sibling with me to something I was invited to. I hated when she had to tag along just because...

Old 12-13-2007, 01:24 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
The people invited could be family friends- maybe the entire families were invited including mom, dad and siblings. When my son was that age and younger I always invited the families to hang around and enjoy the party.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
The people invited could be family friends- maybe the entire families were invited including mom, dad and siblings. When my son was that age and younger I always invited the families to hang around and enjoy the party.
I agree with that if they're family friends, but if they're just the siblings of classmates-can't blame the kid for being mad.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM

841 posts, read 4,838,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
He said he only wanted two friends to be there, and yet you did nothing to stop these parents from bringing over all the siblings of the kids. I don't blame your son for being upset when one of the older kids, whom he did not even invite, broke his pinata and ruined for him what was to be the highlight of the party.

It maybe inappropriate for a six-year old to scream and carry on like that, but it was also inappropriate of you to completely overlook his simple wishes on his birthday. You put your son's needs aside because you did not want to feel uncomfortable asking these parents to only bring over one kid, not all the siblings.

I think you owe your son an apology.

greenie
Wow, unbelievable response. And by the way, greenie, I have read some of your posts and generally really enjoy your points and suggestions. But this was over the top. First I had no idea that the moms would bring over the siblings, (one child who was invited I didn't even know she HAD a sibling). I invited the two children and both moms agreed without indicating they'd bring over a sibling. Secondly, the fathers of these children are military and currently serving overseas, therefore the moms did not have their husbands to fall back on to babysit the siblings. I suppose they could've hired a babysitter, but they didn't. It's not in my nature to turn away siblings if they come unannounced to a party. I didn't sell my son out. I was a gracious host and I role modeled how to be flexible, gracious, and accommodating.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Wow, unbelievable response. And by the way, greenie, I have read some of your posts and generally really enjoy your points and suggestions. But this was over the top. First I had no idea that the moms would bring over the siblings, (one child who was invited I didn't even know she HAD a sibling). I invited the two children and both moms agreed without indicating they'd bring over a sibling. Secondly, the fathers of these children are military and currently serving overseas, therefore the moms did not have their husbands to fall back on to babysit the siblings. I suppose they could've hired a babysitter, but they didn't. It's not in my nature to turn away siblings if they come unannounced to a party. I didn't sell my son out. I was a gracious host and I role modeled how to be flexible, gracious, and accommodating.
I don't doubt that you were, afterall, what more could you do?

I understand what Greenie is saying.. don't take it personal.

We're on a message board and have no clue if you sent / handed out invitations to these kids.. if they said "drop Johnnie off at such & such a time" or if it worded like a bring em all type thing. Usually, I drop my kid off. I've never stayed at a party and actually didn't catch what Greenie posted until she posted it.. then a light went off in my head.. I couldn't believe I missed the two friend part, or forgot by the time I read posts and replied.

If you read the responses, then read what Greenie said, stepping away from the situation like you aren't the OP... your son is 6. Had he had 2 kids there like he wanted, he may have gotten to actually hit the pinata open.. but since these other, bigger (uninvited) kids came, he wasn't the one to crack it open. He's probably a little resentful.

I agree, these kids have their dad's away and probably could use the Bday party to get away from it. I live in a military town, so I get it; but your son may not. Explain to him.. how would he feel if his dad were away and the party situation, maybe he will understand?

While I understand that you can't expect them to get baby sitters, the question is why did they stay in the 1st place? Usually if I do something for a few kids like that, I end up picking them up & bringing them over for whatever reason. Usually it's been that on weekends the mothers are busy being the single working parent...

How's your son doing? Have you spoken to him about what happened to see what he has to say about why he was mad?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:07 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Wow, unbelievable response. And by the way, greenie, I have read some of your posts and generally really enjoy your points and suggestions.
I'm sorry if my response upset you. Of course, you had reasons for inviting the other children over. I understand that, but your son doesn't. Maybe in the future when he tells you in only wants to invite two people to his birthday party, you'll make more of an effort to tell the other moms, "My son is only inviting Joe, and if you drop Joe off, I'll be happy to watch him for the day."

I don't think this makes you a horrible mom, so there is no reason for you to get defensive. You posted here asking for advice, and I've given you mine.

Greenie

Old 12-13-2007, 06:55 PM

371 posts, read 2,029,215 times
Quote:

Kudos to you Summers. I said it before and I'll say it again. It was a bad day and its over and you are getting "some" good advice and A LOT of out of this world advice. I would turn a deaf ear to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting