Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
My "favorite" was the what's that stage with my niece. "What's that?" "It's a sign." "What's that?" "It's a car." "What's that?" "It's still a sign."
Oh that one is 'fun' too. I eventually give in and tell her its a hippopotamus, or a giraffe or something like that. Also have the "where?" stage too, as in 'where's the cat?' repeatedly - while looking directly at the cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Urgh the "WHY???" stage. I wouldn't mind if it she actually wanted to know why but she doesn't care about the answer, just likes asking the question!! On the plus side, its an excellent age to make them believe all kinds of crazy things :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
My "favorite" was the what's that stage with my niece. "What's that?" "It's a sign." "What's that?" "It's a car." "What's that?" "It's still a sign."
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
We all know that the "Why?" and "What's that?" stages are just their way of learning. That does not mean that we can hold our sanity throughout.

I remember telling my son, "Because I said so." He told me he would NEVER say that to a kid.
Mine does it too! She hasnt yet come to "why" stage yet but she keeps asking me, "what are you doing mooma?"...every 5 minutes I think they just like to hear us talk

Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Oh that one is 'fun' too. I eventually give in and tell her its a hippopotamus, or a giraffe or something like that. Also have the "where?" stage too, as in 'where's the cat?' repeatedly - while looking directly at the cat
Mine is at "where" stage now! Lol
She says, "Oh, momma, where are you?" the moment I go to washroom etc
"Oh ball, where are you"..."oh dora, where are you"?

Old 05-09-2014, 12:09 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
its all fun and cute the first 20 times in a row

Old 05-09-2014, 12:33 PM

501 posts, read 933,194 times
Quote:
I am in no rush to get her to name the colors, I just needed to know that she is 'seeing' colors as colors and not black and white.
I want to be clear about this - colorblind people generally see colors too. We don't see everything as black and white. Only in our case, we cannot differeniate one particular color from another. In my case I am red colorblind. I see red but it doesn't look the same way as it does to you (it is very muted). But it isn't black or white, it's still red.

That means that any color that has red in it - green, brown, purple - will look different to me as well. The red component is muted. Purple looks like blue in many cases. Green and brown look alike in many cases. But I still live in a world that is very colorful and beautiful. I don't see black and white like a old time picture.

It is exceedingly rare that colorblind people are totally colorblind.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I want to be clear about this - colorblind people generally see colors too. We don't see everything as black and white. Only in our case, we cannot differeniate one particular color from another. In my case I am red colorblind. I see red but it doesn't look the same way as it does to you (it is very muted). But it isn't black or white, it's still red.

That means that any color that has red in it - green, brown, purple - will look different to me as well. The red component is muted. Purple looks like blue in many cases. Green and brown look alike in many cases. But I still live in a world that is very colorful and beautiful. I don't see black and white like a old time picture.

It is exceedingly rare that colorblind people are totally colorblind.
Very interesting. From what you describe, it doenst seem like some colors are muted. I mean, she is able to exactly differentiate one color to the next; actually we started with 4 colors. Not sure if she could still have any issues.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:32 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
I think I know what you mean! But really though, the tantrums are not really that bad so far. Like you said, I pay close attention to what would trigger a tantrum. She likes chocolates (but of course) and she wants to eat them right before dinner. She doesnt remember it until she see's them. So I try to hide them away at least until after she eats her lunch/dinner and let her have a bite. But if she accidentally sees it and I refuse to give it, she bawls her eyes out. If I give in before the main meal, she doesnt touch her main meal.

But these incidents are rare (maybe once a week) which isnt bad for a 2 year old i think. I hope she sails through the terrible twos with out me having to say terrible! Lol

Thanks for the book suggestion though. I will check this out and see if my library carries them. If not, i may need to look into ordering it, if tantrums get bad.

Edit: is this for kids or for me to know how to control the tantrums?

Thanks for this! i will see for this in library.
It's an older picture book for small children, told in rhyme, featuring illustrations of cute, slightly anthropomorphized baby animals, with lines like "Why is Lionel Lion roaring around, stomping his foot against the ground?" ..."I hate it when you comb my mane when it has tangles in it!", responds Lionel. And so on (that's paraphrased, it's been a while since I've had to use this book). It uses a light touch.

Ask one of the older children's librarians about it. If it's no longer in your local library, try interlibrary loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting