Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Interesting. I'd never heard of that.
Me neither. I learn something new everyday here on CD. Now that DNA is more common, I suspect they'll discover it's not as rare as once believed. The concluding paragraph raised the question of people being imprisoned and released from prison based on DNA. I don't think that would be an issue for people are imprisoned because the DNA would match one of their DNAs. But I can see how a guilty person could get released due to this. If it's truly rare, I think society can take the risk of having an occasional guilty person set free since there isn't a great chance of innocent people being sent to prison due to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:58 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Me neither. I learn something new everyday here on CD. Now that DNA is more common, I suspect they'll discover it's not as rare as once believed. The concluding paragraph raised the question of people being imprisoned and released from prison based on DNA. I don't think that would be an issue for people are imprisoned because the DNA would match one of their DNAs. But I can see how a guilty person could get released due to this. If it's truly rare, I think society can take the risk of having an occasional guilty person set free since there isn't a great chance of innocent people being sent to prison due to this.
Actually, I recently read a novel where the bad guy was a chimera due to a bone marrow transplant. In that situation, blood left at a crime scene would match the DNA of the donor, not the recipient. Donor could get blamed for a crime perpetrated by the recipient.

I wonder whether the children of the women in your link still bore a resemblance to the mothers who birthed them. You would expect some family resemblance, since the birth and genetic mothers were sisters.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Actually, I recently read a novel where the bad guy was a chimera due to a bone marrow transplant. In that situation, blood left at a crime scene would match the DNA of the donor, not the recipient. Donor could get blamed for a crime perpetrated by the recipient.
Good point! I was thinking about natural chimera. In the case of a male that absorbed a male twin whose DNA was retained in the testicles, the sperm would be the absorbed twin's DNA, which wouldn't exist anywhere else in the world for an innocent person to be imprisoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I wonder whether the children of the women in your link still bore a resemblance to the mothers who birthed them. You would expect some family resemblance, since the birth and genetic mothers were sisters.
There would likely be a family resemblance because they are twins. She basically gave birth to her nieces and nephews. If the mother is "a me," she wouldn't look like any of them, but they'd look like other members of the family. That mother was darn lucky a prosecutor read the article about the American women, and that the prosecutor had the morals and ethics to reveal that information.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Wow! Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:44 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,342 times
My son looks like me and has inherited some of my traits personality wise but he got the traits I dislike
the most from his father.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:41 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Wow! Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.
Yes Chimerism. I forgot the name of it... That would be my luck with how little my daughter looks like me lol

Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
All three of my children resemble me strongly, but in different ways.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:55 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Geezus. I see myself in my adopted kid!
Me too! My biological son is completely opposite of me, and yet my daughter (who was adopted) is so much like me that even strangers comment on it.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
Do you see in your biological children a spitting image of yourself? Or do your biological children remind you of your sibling?

In high school, my best friend had a sister who passed away young. Now, that friend has a daughter who looks so much like the late sister when she was 12. Is this type of physical resemblance common?

Yes. I see myself in my biological son. Green eyes. Passionate personality. Taste in music. Intense personality. Hair color and same nose. Talent in writing.

I also see myself in my daughter who was adopted. Interest in politics and sociology. Same sense of humor. Interest in clothes and interior decorating. Perfectionist. Good cook.
All of those can be explained by nurture.

These cant - same shaped legs - slim but muscular. Good at dance. Same shaped hands. A beauty mark in the same place. Love of the same type of foods. Low tolerance for hot climates.

It makes me think that the children who we raise and love, are meant to be ours.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:25 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,140 times
My children are 1/2 Asian and 1/2 German-American mutt. Personally, I think they're beautiful but they look NOTHING like me. I don't know what happened to the Asian genes but it seems to have skipped them. People finally stopped asking if I was the nanny when they were around 2 yrs old.

However, my son is exactly like my brother personality-wise while my daughter exhibits a lot of the quirkiness of a cousin and an aunt of mine. I kid that I am scr*wed raising my brother & cousin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting