Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaseBlah View Post
This is Fictional, Fanboy/Girl/?...Ok. And from your tone it seems like you shop at goodwill all the time. Is that really something someone should be proud of no matter how bad their situation is? Used, old, worn clothes. A whole wardrobe worth? Really? Just saying.
My local Goodwill and resale shops get donations from the one percent crowd. The items they donate are not old and worn. They are, however, designer labels that are sold at pennies on the dollar. They're also full of working class people who know that.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:59 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
This is Fictional, Fanboy/Girl/?...Ok. And from your tone it seems like you shop at goodwill all the time. Is that really something someone should be proud of no matter how bad their situation is? Used, old, worn clothes. A whole wardrobe worth? Really? Just saying.
A "fictional" person, unemployed and dependent on parents, would have a lot of nerve to turn up their nose at Goodwill clothing. I can imagine those fictional parents getting pretty annoyed at that kind of entitled and haughty attitude, and telling their fictional child to get a job so they can shop at Macy's all they want.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:07 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
This is FICTIONAL. what's wrong with some of you people?
What is wrong with YOU?!?!
Same answer, whether you are telling the truth or making this up...

"Get a work-study job and use the facilities there.
Barter something you can do with someone who will do your laundry.

Whining doesn get clothes clean..."

Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Wow. Your attitude towards Goodwill is appalling. Just saying.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:

LOL!

So your fictional Goodwill has fictional old worn clothes... why not pretend otherwise? You could be dripping in designer one-of-a kind haute couture!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
If this is fictional, why the attitude?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:04 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
It is harmful to feed wild animals in the forest. They do not learn to look for food themselves and develop a dependence on humans. The possible exception to this is a controlled farm where the animals are being raised for harvest. It is harmful to continue to provide for adult children because they either do not develop the ability to take care of themselves or do not become engaged in the world to the extent needed for self survival. This is why our system of legal justice system stops the parental requirements at age 18. It is also why our legal system does not place a requirement on children to support their parents.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:09 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Basically, would you allow your ADULT child(in college--loans) to look dirty and unclean just because you think they're not trying hard enough to land a job in a poor neighborhood with little to no opportunities that you decided to move your family to?
I don't have any kids, adult or otherwise, but I would think the answer would depend on the circumstances.

Are his clothes ratty and dirty because he just spent all of his student loan money on a big screen TV and an X-Box One, or spent all of his money going to bars? Here's a needle and some thread, figure out how to patch your ratty clothes!

If, however, he were doing well in school, and simply needed a decent suit to go to job interviews, that's a different story. If I had it to give, I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred dollars on a new suit in that situation.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
I adore a good bargain. I can't say I've ever bought clothes at Goodwill, but my gainfully employed college student son finds unworn stuff with the tags still on them all the time. The smart kids don't pay department store prices if they can avoid it.

I would expect a college student to be able to handle the ins and outs of keeping himself clean and clothed, at the very least. And, there are people on campus to help with those in truly dire straights.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I'd say it's pretty pathetic parenting to take a stand on laundry money.

If laundry money is the only power you have over your child, he/she must be a great kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting