Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:09 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But politics is a great field for those who can't learn math, can't learn to balance a budget.
And doesn't like science either. Sounds like this kid will be a great Politician. Math and Science? That's for nerds, what we need is another Politician focused on "Social" issues who can't count and understand basic facts about our world.

OP, I feel for you I really do, but it sounds like he's just in a funk and looking for excuses to not to the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
Is it possible that he's depressed?

The following symptoms of depression are more common in teenagers than in their adult counterparts: Irritable or angry mood , unexplained aches and pains, extreme sensitivity to criticism, and withdrawing from some, but not all people.

I say let him try online school. But PLEASE make sure he gets out of the house and does extracurricular activities.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
If he's in high school and just now taking Algebra 1, he isn't "too smart" for his classes. "Smart" kids take Algebra 1 in 7th grade, 8th at the latest, and are already taking AP math classes in 10th and 11th grade.
Depends on where you're at. I took Algebra 1 in 8th grade because I went to a private school. I went to public school for high school and I was one of the only freshmen who had taken Algebra already. I took Honor's Geometry my freshman year and was in a class with all Sophomores. It wasn't that all the other kids in my grade level weren't smart, it just wasn't offered to them. And in the private school I went to they only had one Algebra 1 class, and it was only offered to 8th graders. The placement into the Algebra class was based on a test we had to take combined with our 7th grade math grade, and the top 24 students (out of about 100) were able to take Algebra.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Depends on where you're at. I took Algebra 1 in 8th grade because I went to a private school. I went to public school for high school and I was one of the only freshmen who had taken Algebra already. I took Honor's Geometry my freshman year and was in a class with all Sophomores. It wasn't that all the other kids in my grade level weren't smart, it just wasn't offered to them. And in the private school I went to they only had one Algebra 1 class, and it was only offered to 8th graders. The placement into the Algebra class was based on a test we had to take combined with our 7th grade math grade, and the top 24 students (out of about 100) were able to take Algebra.
Don't know when you went to school, but taking Algebra I in 8th grade was common in my kids' public middle school, even 20 years ago when some of my friends' kids were there.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
all 15 years old hate high school, i did. last year he was top dog at junior high, now he a nobody with older kid bulling him. get over it, grow a pair, you have to finish high school, no other choose, once he gets older he be picking on the freshmen too. Its life. life sucks

Old 05-06-2014, 05:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Depends on where you're at. I took Algebra 1 in 8th grade because I went to a private school. I went to public school for high school and I was one of the only freshmen who had taken Algebra already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Don't know when you went to school, but taking Algebra I in 8th grade was common in my kids' public middle school, even 20 years ago when some of my friends' kids were there.
When I was in middle school way back in 1965 (man, was that really almost a half century ago?).
All the "smart kids" took Algebra I as 8th graders in my town.

Back in the 1990s it was very common for most above average students to take it in 8th grade (still true today). However, it wasn't offered at my son's K-8 parochial school. But he still managed to take Algebra I plus the next four math classes in HS.

It really varies from school district to school district. Not all "very smart" students take it in 8th grade (or 7th grade as one poster stated). Some "very smart" students do take it as freshman ---- however, most very smart students do not get an F in it no matter when they take the class.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:27 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
We are just talking about his options here. There are 4 Christian schools which are public, and one Baptist. That's our choicing for around here.
We looked into a K12 schooling on line, but its gonna cost 7,000 yearly.
What are we gonna do with this child. I am afraid that he is not going to fit in these private schools either!!!! He is into some really weird stuff...Communism, etc.. he would just get thrown out of them!!!

Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
A lot of teenagers are into Communism. However, if that's the way he's leaning, I doubt that a conservative and Christian school would be a good fit.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 PM

I mean, we have talked to him until our faces were blue.....he doesn`t get it.
He is doing this to himself. That's why all the kids thinks he is weird. He wonders why he don1t fit in?

I can say coming from a parents point of view, that I am hurt, shocked, and wondering what can we do, to get this kid back on track? It hurts as a parent to see your child have no friends, no interest in activities at school, he almost begs every day to not make him go...I mean, somewhere something has to give.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
A lot of teenagers are into Communism. However, if that's the way he's leaning, I doubt that a conservative and Christian school would be a good fit.
That's another thing we discussed. They will just kick him out, the first time he draws a communism sign on a paper or get into discussion.

Online schooling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting