Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Heard about the Quebec system, sounds really good too.
Finland is beating anything everyone else has shared so far! Up to 4 years off with varying degrees of pay, paid time off for sick child up until 10 years old, fully paid child healthcare until age 7. That's mommy utopia!

Quote:
What do you mean? Do you mean how much do I pay in taxes for all this or what?
She's asking how much you pay for childcare. It's free, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 01:27 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Finland is beating anything everyone else has shared so far!

She's asking how much you pay for childcare. It's free, right?
It's not free, still waiting for the bill so I don't know how much yet but I'm guessing around 120-160 euros a month. Could be less though, OH's dad has a child in daycare and he earns around the same as my OH yet pays practically nothing for daycare.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
I could tell Finland is great country for mothers simply because you have public daycare like we have public schools.

What else is available that we don't have.

Do you have paid maternity leave? Are sick days protected?

Tell us what we're missing!
What does having institutionalized baby dumping centers have to do with where is a good place to be a mom?

Sounds like a great place to NOT be a mom.

I think great place to be a mom is somewhere there is family and community support. Multi generational influence. Not moms in isolation.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:28 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post

Typically, when a baby is born:
  • his / her mother will take 50 weeks of maternity leave
  • his / her father will take 5 weeks of paternity leave
  • at the end of the maternity leave, when the mother returns to work (and her position is guaranteed) the baby will start going to the CPE (Centre de la petite enfance) - the public daycare network (or a private equivalent, also subsidized), where he will go until he is 5. He will then start going to kindergarden.
I don't know anyone who has NOT used up the full maximum of maternity / paternity / parental leave they were allowed to take. For fathers it's really nice, it added 5 weeks of time off to my 5/6 weeks of vacations per year. 11 weeks off per year X 3 children is really nice, I tell you!
50?!? If your company can survive without you for 50 weeks, you're not really needed. And up to 11 weeks off for males in vacation seems excessive as well. I guess some people are more career oriented than others, I call them... hard workin' Americans!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,753 times
Quote:
What do you mean? Do you mean how much do I pay in taxes for all this or what?
no, on income, how much percentage do you guys pay in your country? I am guessing there is a slab?

We pay a lot of income tax and apparently thats why we get so many benefits. Like Unemployment insurance and all.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What does having institutionalized baby dumping centers have to do with where is a good place to be a mom?

I think great place to be a mom is somewhere there is family and community support. Multi generational influence. Not moms in isolation.
I wouldn't consider our daycare centres of "baby dumping centres"... for a start, most don't accept babies (1 year old is usually the youngest taken into a daycare centre) and they are extremely high quality. Childminders are also part of the subsidised system for those that prefer a home-based environment. And of course being paid to stay home if you prefer neither of those options. But putting your toddler in daycare is considered here to be the act of a good parent, not a bad one, once they are of an age where they will benefit from it.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:33 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
50?!? If your company can survive without you for 50 weeks, you're not really needed. And up to 11 weeks off for males in vacation seems excessive as well. I guess some people are more career oriented than others, I call them... hard workin' Americans!
SaintCabbage, you are kidding right? No company works without someone for 50 weeks (an year to be specific). They employ temporary contracts to fill the position until the mom returns. Its a win win for Canadian economy unlike the American way where a mom is forced to return to her job within 3 months.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I guess you missed the part about Finland provides PAID maternity leave for up to 4 years!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
no, on income, how much percentage do you guys pay in your country? I am guessing there is a slab?

We pay a lot of income tax and apparently thats why we get so many benefits. Like Unemployment insurance and all.
I don't entirely understand the taxation system here to be honest. I paid 20% on my maternity and home care pays and will pay 20% on unemployment once I start getting it but another Finn calculated for me that if I worked (earning nearly twice as much as unemployment pays) I would only pay 6%. It all just confuses me - my first job here I paid 60% because I didn't realise I had to get a tax card from the tax office!! (got it back of course in my tax return - phew!)

Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I guess you missed the part about Finland provides PAID maternity leave for up to 4 years!
To clarify, its up 3 years (the parental leave is included). Well until your youngest child is 3 so if you have a few in a row its a lot of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting