Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:12 AM

14,936 posts, read 12,132,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Are you kidding me?!?!? I'm older than that, and I know damn well I would need birth control if my husband didn't have a vasectomy. I still get periods. Regular as clockwork. My sister and my SIL both had two children each in their mid 40s. A person would have to have their head under a rock to think they can't get pregnant at 47.

What's race have to do with this? I didn't even read the article until you mentioned white women right here. I formed my opinion based on your first post----47 year old woman didn't use birth control and had triplets. I was left wondering how is that the problem of the American public and manufacturers?
Do we know she didn't use birth control, or are we making assumptions that she *must* not have done so because she became pregnant? Sometimes pregnancy occurs even with it. I've known two people who became pregnant several years after they had tubal ligations, several others who became pregnant while taking birth control pills, and the other types of birth control- well, we know how well they sometimes work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think the statement that it's rare for a 47 yo to have a multiple pregnancy was the reporter's interpretation of a statement by someone not specified.
I think that was the point of the article linked by the OP.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM

[quote=Hopes;34710831]That's different because it was IVF. It's shocking there is a clinic in India impregnating older women. There was an Indian women prior to her that was 70 when she gave birth. She announced four years later that she was dying, and spoke out strongly against the fertilization clinic not warning elderly women about the toll pregnancy takes on the elderly. She has since rebounded and is determined to live another 10 years to see her daughter's wedding at 15 years old. These two Indian families have one advantage Americans don't. They're both in polygamist marriages so there are younger wives to raise the children after the parents die.

World's oldest mother, Rajo Devi Lohan, 74, says giving birth to her daughter, now five, has kept her living longer | Mail Online[/quote

You mean that's something she wouldn't have been able to figure out on her own? I figure there's a reason why the reproductive system shuts down when old age is approaching. I'd wonder if it ever even occurred to her that becoming pregnant at age 66 ( ?!??!!) which for her involved jumping through so many convoluted loops to even make it happen, was likely because pregnancy in a 66 yr old was something never intended by nature.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
For all the shamers that want to shame women for having sex, you don't deserve to have it. It takes two. If you shame the women, you shouldn't be sleeping with them. Being 47 in itself is generally a form of birth control. She had good reason to believe those parts were not functioning. If you were a catholic, you certainly would've shamed her if she had used a condom. So in a financial planning aspect, it is very reasonable that she was not planning to have children at that age. Does that entitle her to a bailout? No, however, the morons that would have shamed her for birth control, shamed her if she had an abortion, should not also shame her for not having a million bucks saved up to provide for additional children if she happens to have a shockingly fertile reproductive system for her age. The ignorance is unreal.
So you're trying to "shame" those who happen to read your post into believing as you do regarding this issue? Doesn't wash, but nice try.....

Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
What happened to the Quote button?

The reading comprehension on this thread is unreal. I never said the American people or products manufacturers should send gifts, had to send gifts, needed to send gifts and "keep her in diapers, ...etc". I NEVER MADE ACCUSATIONS AGAINST THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO. I SIMPLY SAID "i HOPE...". I never said she should "automatically should be entitled..."

As far as I know she has not asked for any help and probably doesn't expect any. Apparently I send more anonymous gifts to others than most here. Fine. You might make more contributions to churches or other worthy causes. Fine. You may not give anything at all. Fine.
I want to send this woman a small gift like I send gifts to people almost every week. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the same way.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
By all means I think you should send her a box of diapers, or something else she'll find useful, if you feel that way. But making such accusations against others who may not believe, as you do, that she ought to be automatically entitled to all kinds of "free stuff" just because, isn't going to win you any upvotes, or whatever.

I'd bet, if she's got a support system (and I hope she does!) among her family, friends and co-workers, she'll have all the help she needs right there, and if the rest of us just want to wish her well and let it go at that, she won't even miss not getting the outpouring of gifts you seem to think she should get. And unless you've sent her a link to this thread on CD, and she reads it, she won't even know of any passing snide comments made by folks who tend to do such things, LOL. Although I'm sure she's probably heard any number of similar comments in real life- it comes with the territory- and I'd bet she's able to handle those like a mature adult, and those comments don't matter anyway.

And as far as it goes, I can't speak for others but I'm not of the opinion that it's any of my business what decisions she might make or has already made regarding her reproductive health and bearing children, I'd just figure she will make whatever decision is best for her and her family. As she should be able to do.

As I said before, while her age for having these children is a !!!!!!! ( sounds like to her, too), multiple births these days is certainly no novelty, hence I don't see the baby product manufacturers stepping up to the plate to keep her babies in diapers, baby food, strollers, diaper genies, or what have you....
I posted a link upthread about help with forumula, if she is formula feeding. She probably has to do at least some formula feeding, with triplets.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,723 times
I can't imagine having triplets at 47! I had twins last year at 38, and they are more than enough for me! Having one baby was hard work, having two babies at once was a LOT of work. Having three babies - ugh, I don't even want to think about it!

To the OP, I am not sure what you meant by your OP, but generally, if you state that you hope that companies or people step up, it does often imply that you think that they should.

I am sure she was informed at the hospital of the programs she signed up for. There are certainly plenty of companies that give freebies and discounts to parents of multiples. I received 2 cases of formula from enfamil and 2 cases from similac. It lasted me forever since I was 90% breastfeeding. The formula helped for daycare since I could not pump enough for them to have breast milk only. There are plenty of other offers from other companies, I just never bothered to sign up.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
You mean that's something she wouldn't have been able to figure out on her own? I figure there's a reason why the reproductive system shuts down when old age is approaching. I'd wonder if it ever even occurred to her that becoming pregnant at age 66 ( ?!??!!) which for her involved jumping through so many convoluted loops to even make it happen, was likely because pregnancy in a 66 yr old was something never intended by nature.
She's a farmer in India. Do you understand what it means to be a rural woman in India? She's lucky if she has 4th grade education. If you read the article, her reproductive system didn't shut down. Her husband was the one who was infertile his entire life. He took on two more wives after her because she wasn't able to provide him with children. His other wives weren't able to also. Again, lack of education. They had no clue that men can be sterile.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Do we know she didn't use birth control, or are we making assumptions that she *must* not have done so because she became pregnant? Sometimes pregnancy occurs even with it. I've known two people who became pregnant several years after they had tubal ligations, several others who became pregnant while taking birth control pills, and the other types of birth control- well, we know how well they sometimes work.
We know she wasn't on birth control because she said she thought it was impossible to get pregnant at her age.

Quote:
The school cafeteria monitor wasn't trying to become pregnant and thought it was impossible at her age when she was told she'd be giving birth to three baby boys.

Read more: Miami woman, 47, gives birth to triplets after naturally conceiving | Mail Online

Old 05-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I posted a link upthread about help with forumula, if she is formula feeding. She probably has to do at least some formula feeding, with triplets.
I think I saw your post with that link after I wrote this one. I wasn't aware that there were such manufacturer's assistance with formula, but IMO it's a good idea, I know formula is expensive. It's akin to getting manufacturer's help with prescription drugs, and lots of people get help with those programs.

I'd think anyone with multiple babies would take advantage of help with formula!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting