Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:35 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times

Advertisements

I'd try to have a good talk with him first and try to find out if he has been particularly upset about something. When my kids get especially obnoxious, it has worked for me (and them). He might want to talk; if you can stay calm, give it a try.

If you are able to resolve things...no Ipod for at least a week with good behavior. Make sure he is going to school; check with office or counselor.

SCabbage, I know what you mean; but everyone is different, every kid is different, and all we can do is recommend what has worked for us. Some of us just try to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 PM

670 posts, read 1,044,148 times
I would not give him the charger under any circumstances. A friend had a problem with her son not going to school. She finally called the police, and they put him in some sort of detention center. She said his record would be cleared when he turned a certain age.

The police told the boy that everytime he played hooky, he would spend the night in detention. He did not like it. I remember Social Services getting involved too somehow.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:42 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do NOT give in! You'll never be an effective parent again if you do.

I'd take the Ipod away permanently. You don't get an Ipod back after cutting school in demonstration of being grounded from it for 3 days. You loose all rights to an Ipod forever after doing something like that.

Don't cover for him with the school. Don't give him an excused absence. Notify the school of what he's doing. Let him suffer the consequences.

If he doesn't go to school, call the police because it's against the law to be truant. Let them come to the house and have a talk with him.
All good, though I expect it may already be too late. i would even go a step further though. I would consider him on two strikes. if he gets a third by not going to class again, then the iPod will be permanently gone. I would then proceed to crush it with a hammer in front of him to show that you mean business. iPods are cheap compared to the value this lesson will send. This is going to hurt, but if you don't dig in soon, years 15-18 are going to be extremely rough for you.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Yeah! She could also chain him up in the backyard and give him a stern beating he won't forget! .....

He's pouting over his IPod being taken away, going a bit far aren't we??? No food/clothing? Really?
Thats hardly what she said.....drama ruins lives, commit to stopping the madness today!

Old 05-09-2014, 02:00 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Are you a single mom perhaps?

If yes, note that some police departments will send out a cop to give a kid a good "talking to"! (Play dad.)

Also he who has the money rules! You can "go on strike" as well... No food cooking, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Thats hardly what she said.....drama ruins lives, commit to stopping the madness today!
That's exactly what they said actually.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls0n View Post
He skipped a day in school.
How did he "skip" a day in school? Did he stay home? Did he ditch school and spend the day hanging out at Taco Bell? Where were you when he "skipped" a day?

And for the bonus round: How have you managed to give a 14-year old so much power that you're in a "stalemate" with him?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
That's exactly what they said actually.
She said "go on strike" "no cooking food." That doesn't mean no eating.

14 year olds are is perfectly capable of making their own meals.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Since kid will not go to school, then don't allow him to attend any school activities.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:02 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She said "go on strike" "no cooking food." That doesn't mean no eating.

14 year olds are is perfectly capable of making their own meals.
She said "No food cooking" actually, I quoted it. The meaning of that is very vague just like skipping a day in school, no one knows what that means either.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:09 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
You people live in a different world. I've never heard of a child telling their parent what they're going to do and living to tell about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting