Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:40 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

I think of it like this. I went to my prom solo. No friends went with me. I went alone(mom dropped me off and picked me up). I did not ask anyone to set me up on a date or do anything for me. And I would not have wanted anyone to. I know what I like, and don't like. I did ask a girl to go to the prom with me. She said no. I would not have wanted anyone to set me up. I would never know what I'm getting. At least if I go out there for myself, I have a bit more of an idea of what might be.

And my advice is this. Don't set the kid up. The kid should find his own date. At least he will know what he is getting into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
In my opinion there's no role for his parents or the school in getting a prom date. However, reassure him at his 20 year reunion, after he sells his tech company, he'll be the most popular guy in the room. At least that's what happened to the nerdiest guy in my high school class.

Haha! I agree

Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 AM

513 posts, read 799,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I went to prom with a friend of mine (he didn't go to my school) and had a miserable time - for some reason even though we were just pals he decided to act like a bit of a jerk toward me instead of two pals hanging out for a few hours. It's not like I was expecting a romantic evening - I just wanted company I enjoyed without having to worry about drama. Oh well. *sigh*

I had MUCH more fun at the "pity" prom I went to with a co-worker of mine to HIS school (he could have been classified as a "nerd.") While I went as a favor to him, we ended up having a blast.
I took a co worker of my best friend to my junior prom. She had a crush on him and was already going with a mutual friend of ours and asked if I could take him for her. (We should have just switched but...). So he ended up being a horrible date, I couldn't wait til it was over. Then when it was I ended up spending the time hanging out with friends older brother. Who I ended up dating for a while bc of that. Setting up almost never works I learned. But it did lead to a fun couple months for me.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:07 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Man, reading this thread I realized how much I disliked formal dances in high school. I went to all of them, was on court for two of them, but they just weren't my thing. I was always uncomfortable at them as they were too showy, etc. I had good friends that didn't go to these formal dances, too, as they weren't into them either...but they weren't dating and I was, so I always felt like I should take my date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting