Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 08:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And this is only your first pregnancy. (Sigh).
It will likely be her last since she has a medical condition that only gave her a two year window for getting pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 10:03 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You seemed to mind when you couldn't have a highchair at a booth. There's a whole thread about it here somewhere.
Still missing the point I see

Old 05-22-2014, 10:19 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes
I chose to follow the pediatrician's advice of continuing to live my life and take the baby with me---that included fishing trips.
We're going to be shooting for her first go on the canoe in a few weeks. We usually camp, but I may do a cabin this year.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Just a little background on me: I'm 5 months pregnant with a planned pregnancy. My main passion in life is travelling. So today I was researching trips to Paris...hotels, things to do etc. I got really really into it. Even though I have no plans to visit anytime soon (difficult pregnancy, need to save money for home purchase and impending baby) I still enjoyed planning out this fantasy trip. So I messaged my mom...she is one of my main travel partners...we have made great memories together travelling.

Me: Been really feeling for a Paris trip

Mom: Hahaha. You will make Paris. WE will call her Paris! Doesn't sound bad at all lol!!

Me: Makes me very sad. To think of this child styming my movements. Maybe I can leave them with DH's parents for our trips (I would like DH to come too on trips)

Mom: Are you crazy?? To say what are saying is insulting and disgraceful and more so SELFISH. Stop it!!!

Me: Well I'm a selfish person I guess then. It is one life that I'm living. I'd like to enjoy it.

Mom: RU mad? Everyone has one life to live!!! not just you!! I don't want to listen to this. Why did you get pregnant???Or married for that matter???

Me: You know if I were a man you wouldn't call me selfish. But women are supposed to be self sacrificing. It is thrust upon them.

Mom: You are getting me VERY annoyed

Me: You cannot combat my logic so it annoys you. And your lack of logical argument annoys me!!
No, you are NOT being selfish and immature! When the baby comes, you will be utterly absorbed in it for quite a while. And then if you are lucky enough to have parents or in-laws who can take care of the child for a bit while you get away with your husband, you will do it! There is nothing wrong with that! You're just a person who loves to travel, who is being a bit wistful for the impending loss of freedom that's just around the bend. Your mother is just picking a fight with you. Just disengage, drop it, and make plans to get away with your husband BEFORE the baby comes. There is no medical reason that you can't travel a bit right now, as long as you're not putting yourself under undue strain.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:10 PM

103 posts, read 226,115 times
Quote:
I'm a pretty dutiful person...not a deadbeat at all. So I've done extensive research on all the things the baby would need. And am financially prepared to spend the money.

But emotionally my head is still not fully there I guess.

To answer your question...I look forward to teaching the child new things ...and hopefully learning from them too.

Don't be too hard on yourself, there's nothing wrong with wanting a little childfree downtime. Society would have you believe that once you have kids it's supposed to be all butterflies and rainbows and anything short of that is heresy, the reality is ........somewhat different. This is what sends some mothers into a spiral of depression, the wide gap between what they feel and what society says they should feel. When it comes to parenting , you don't have to be perfect, just do the best you can, and if you feel you need a little time off , then leave the little one with the grandparents, one of the best gifts a parent can give their child is a happy marriage, another is quality time, not just 'quantity' time

Old 05-22-2014, 01:20 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
The fear mongering reminds me of the old days when mothers were told they couldn't take the babies out of the house until after they were baptized. Being raised Catholic, I can only suspect this was to motivate parents to make more Catholics because a new mother would eventually want to leave the house. LOL

Since I live in an area with lots of Catholics and both sides of the baby's family are Catholic, all sorts of people told me that I can't take a baby out of the house. This is a perfect example of generations of mothers pressuring new generations of mothers without really thinking through if it was necessary they did what they did in the first place.

I chose to follow the pediatrician's advice of continuing to live my life and take the baby with me---that included fishing trips.
Didn't Amos Moses's daddy used to take him alligator hunting and use him for bait?

Now everybody blamed his old man.
For makin him mean as a snake.
When Amos Moses was a boy his Daddy would use him for alligator bait.
Tie a rope around his waist and throw him in the swamp.
Alligator bait in the Lousisana Bayou.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:25 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
You'll be judged either way, so be prepared for that, especially in here
Ain't that the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is a town called Paris in upstate New York. Not too far from Canada, either. That could work.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wow. Your idea that your planned pregnancy and subsequent baby will interfere with your desires for travel seems rather self centered, to say the least. I'm a woman who chose not to have children because I wanted freedom (among other things). Freedom is one of the things that I have received from not having kids... (Sigh).
Really people? Really?

So can we say that your decision to not procreate is rather "self-centered, to say the least?" Com'on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post
Don't be too hard on yourself, there's nothing wrong with wanting a little childfree downtime. Society would have you believe that once you have kids it's supposed to be all butterflies and rainbows and anything short of that is heresy, the reality is ........somewhat different. This is what sends some mothers into a spiral of depression, the wide gap between what they feel and what society says they should feel. When it comes to parenting , you don't have to be perfect, just do the best you can, and if you feel you need a little time off , then leave the little one with the grandparents, one of the best gifts a parent can give their child is a happy marriage, another is quality time, not just 'quantity' time
^^

Old 05-22-2014, 02:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is a town called Paris in upstate New York. Not too far from Canada, either. That could work.
There's a Paris, Illinois, too. Probably a little warmer than Paris, NY! Paris, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The fear mongering reminds me of the old days when mothers were told they couldn't take the babies out of the house until after they were baptized. Being raised Catholic, I can only suspect this was to motivate parents to make more Catholics because a new mother would eventually want to leave the house. LOL

Since I live in an area with lots of Catholics and both sides of the baby's family are Catholic, all sorts of people told me that I can't take a baby out of the house. This is a perfect example of generations of mothers pressuring new generations of mothers without really thinking through if it was necessary they did what they did in the first place.

Wow! I grew up in the same area as you, never heard that about not taking the baby out until baptism! I did not grow up Catholic. Maybe the point was that baptism was the first activity you were supposed to take the baby to???

Quote:
Just a little background on me: I'm 5 months pregnant with a planned pregnancy. My main passion in life is travelling. So today I was researching trips to Paris...hotels, things to do etc. I got really really into it. Even though I have no plans to visit anytime soon (difficult pregnancy, need to save money for home purchase and impending baby) I still enjoyed planning out this fantasy trip. So I messaged my mom...she is one of my main travel partners...we have made great memories together travelling.

Me: Been really feeling for a Paris trip

Mom: Hahaha. You will make Paris. WE will call her Paris! Doesn't sound bad at all lol!!

Me: Makes me very sad. To think of this child styming my movements. Maybe I can leave them with DH's parents for our trips (I would like DH to come too on trips)

Mom: Are you crazy?? To say what are saying is insulting and disgraceful and more so SELFISH. Stop it!!!

Me: Well I'm a selfish person I guess then. It is one life that I'm living. I'd like to enjoy it.

Mom: RU mad? Everyone has one life to live!!! not just you!! I don't want to listen to this. Why did you get pregnant???Or married for that matter???

Me: You know if I were a man you wouldn't call me selfish. But women are supposed to be self sacrificing. It is thrust upon them.

Mom: You are getting me VERY annoyed

Me: You cannot combat my logic so it annoys you. And your lack of logical argument annoys me!!
Considering that I don't like being analyzed by other people, I can see why this last line might have ticked your mom off but good!

Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Oh OP.....!

Go back to your teenage years.

What were your dreams?

No doubt they were - travel, marry, have a family.

So. You're actually living the dream already.

Which is why your mother got so exasperated.

You can go to Paris any old time, but your baby will only have ONE first birthday. He/she will only learn how to say "momma" once, learn to walk once, and so on.

Any time you are away, you're missing out on the delights of being a parent.

When baby gets older and doesn't need you so much, then it's time to start wishing for your next dream.

Not NOW, when you have a dream about to come true. A lot of folks spend a lot of money to get pregnant you know.

So what Mom is saying is, you need to slow down and smell the roses. You have a BABY coming, the greatest adventure of all.

There will be plenty of time for you to say these things and be met with sympathy. Teething, the terrible twos, his first school report.

Just NOT complaining before the poor lil fella is even out of the womb.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:59 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
To thewitchisback, is the b letter on your keyboard broken? I feel the same way you do, and that is one of the reasons why I didn't have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting