Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,182 times

Advertisements

I need some help, I'm 15 and I want to be Emancipated. School get out in a week. I'll have a job then, my sister is 21 and will allow me to live with her I just need to know what I have to do to get emancipated. I'm very stressed out and have already been arrested for fighting my mom. I ran away and threatened to comment suicide. I really need some help. I very educated and it's my main goal to finish high school and go to collage but, it's hard with living with my mom.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
It depends on the state you live in, do research for your state and find out what is required legally to become emancipated.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:07 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
The state will not emancipate a 15 year old who has been arrested for assault and has threatened to kill themselves. You have, as a result, clearly demonstrated that you are too immature for that. The state emancipates mature teenagers who have already demonstrated a mature ability to support themselves and require legal assistance to become fully independent. If your life with your mother is abusive then you should contact child protection services and report it.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I agree that it's unlike you will be granted emancipation based on your arrest record and suicide threat. Perhaps your sister could inspire your mother to let her become your guardian instead.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:14 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Read about it...
Emancipation of minors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More, search google.com for the following words..

Emancipation of minors

And good for you to want to stay in school!

FYI - It is....

School gets out in a week.

threatened to commit suicide

I'm very educated

Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty_queen View Post
I need some help, I'm 15 and I want to be Emancipated. School get out in a week. I'll have a job then, my sister is 21 and will allow me to live with her I just need to know what I have to do to get emancipated. I'm very stressed out and have already been arrested for fighting my mom. I ran away and threatened to comment suicide. I really need some help. I very educated and it's my main goal to finish high school and go to collage but, it's hard with living with my mom.
Suicide is not any kind of an answer for your pain. Believe me. At fifteen, things can seem very intense and it's easy to feel desperate and as if things will never get better, but please ride it out. Things WILL change, I promise you, and you won't be in such pain forever. Please talk with your school counselor about this, or with a trusted teacher, or a clergyman, or perhaps your big sister.

What is the main problem with your relationship with your mother? What leads to the clashes with her? Is she neglectful, or physically abusive? If it's mainly battles of words, keep your head down, focus on your summer job, don't rattle her cage and make a life for yourself in ways that won't make things worse. If you can live with your sister this summer or at least spend more time with her, that may allow things to simmer down.

Meanwhile, keep things as level and even as superficial as possible with your mother. Keep your room clean, get in on time, respect her curfews, don't hang out with problematic friends or acquaintances, avoid drinking and drugs, make a habit of reading books recommended by your English/ language arts teacher or local librarian (to help your vocabulary, writing ability, spelling, reading speed, and college preparation) and so on. Books are a great escape, are free for the borrowing at the library, and are very beneficial, so establish this habit right away. You can also find books that offer good tips about dealing with family and personal issues. Keep a diary or journal to blow off steam and perhaps gain insight into your options when you're stressed (diaries are daily, journals are not). If you play a musical instrument, pour some of your strong emotions into your playing.

Plan inexpensive summer activities which are productive and will both meet with your mother's approval and provide time for you two to be away from each other, if you constantly find yourselves in conflict. What about swimming? Biking?

And - if things settle down somewhat with your mother, so that you're not threatening to attack her or kill yourself (remember, this time will pass; keep reminding yourself of that), you might even want to make time to spend with her. Start with a movie or something similar so you won't have to talk much. Afterwards, if talking about what you've seen comes naturally, go for it. Offer to help her with grocery shopping. Surprise her by taking out the trash, running the vacuum, or doing the dishes. Ask her what it was like when she was fifteen. Show her some respect - she may surprise you by showing you some in return and you two may even find some common ground.

Best wishes to you. Please let us know how things turn out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting