Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Further my kids didn't have meningitis shots until 6th grade. My 20 year old had it two years ago.
My friend's nephew died of meningitis when he was a baby. I'm sharing this because it's relevant to the OP. He had a strep ear infection that spread to his brain. That's another reason why the OP shouldn't listen to her ex about antibiotics for strep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 07:37 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My friend's nephew died of meningitis when he was a baby. I'm sharing this because it's relevant to the OP. He had a strep ear infection that spread to his brain. That's another reason why the OP shouldn't listen to her ex about antibiotics for strep.
Oh that's awful!!!

Never should anyone deny their kids antibiotics for infections.

Here they don't give you meningitis vaccines until entering sixth grade.

I don't know how it is elsewhere.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Oh that's awful!!!
It was awful. The worst part was the parents fell into deep long term depression and neglected their older children in their grief.

Quote:
Never should anyone deny their kids antibiotics for infections.
I agree. Just to clarify, my girlfriend's relatives didn't withhold antibiotics. It just spread very, very quickly.

Quote:
Here they don't give you meningitis vaccines until entering sixth grade.

I don't know how it is elsewhere.
In the meantime, the PCV13 can protect against 13 types of bacteria that can cause meningitis too.

Based on what happened to my friend's nephew, I would not delay this or space it out by even a month.

Quote:
PCV13 is recommended as a series of four doses, one dose at each of these ages:

2 months
4 months
6 months and
12 through 15 months

Pneumococcal | Vaccines.gov

Old 06-01-2014, 08:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Currently, if you want to delay Hep B (after having had the birth dose which interrupts maternal neonate transmission) and the IPV polio, fine. If you're not traveling outside the Americas, and no one in the house has Hep B, you can wait on those. But you cannot "delay" or "space out" the Hib, Dtap, and Prevnar, because the baby is at risk for all three of those from early infancy. Pertussis, Hib meningitis, and Strep pneumo meningitis are all three deadly - which one of them would you like to leave your infant at risk of contracting?
With polio outbreaks in the middle east,Pakistan, etc only an airplane ride away, delaying polio vaccine is very risky. Just a few years ago the US thought it had eliminated measles and now it's back thanks to international travelers.

Quote:
I do not mean delaying for long periods. Dtap has pertussis in it.

I mean space them out. No one needs 6 shots in a day. Or even 5. If they want to do them and I don't mind bringing the child in once per week then why not?

You're trying to tell me that waiting a week of two or even a month in between is really putting them at risk? Sorry. I don't buy it.

Further my kids didn't have meningitis shots until 6th grade. My 20 year old had it two years ago.

I never got them or myself a flu or pneumonia shot either.

I guess I'm a neglectful parent.
The big risk in that approach is that the child is unimmunized for a longer than necessary time. There is no medical reason to do that. Get them together and spend more time at the park instead of the doctor's office.

Quote:
It was awful. The worst part was the parents fell into deep long term depression and neglected their older children in their grief.

I agree. Just to clarify, my girlfriend's relatives didn't withhold antibiotics. It just spread very, very quickly.

In the meantime, the PCV13 can protect against 13 types of bacteria that can cause meningitis too.

Based on what happened to my friend's nephew, I would not delay this or space it out by even a month.
The Hib vaccine also protects against Hib meningitis which can be ghastly. It's given on the same schedule as PCV.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
I do not mean delaying for long periods. Dtap has pertussis in it.

I mean space them out. No one needs 6 shots in a day. Or even 5. If they want to do them and I don't mind bringing the child in once per week then why not?

You're trying to tell me that waiting a week of two or even a month in between is really putting them at risk? Sorry. I don't buy it.

I never got them or myself a flu or pneumonia shot either.

I guess I'm a neglectful parent.
That is one more week or two or a month that they are at risk for getting that particular illness, of course. How is it any better if they get one at a time instead of many together?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:45 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Thanks for telling me this, really shows how potentially serious strep can be. I'm terrified of meningitis. That poor child and his family

I don't understand vaccine spacing/delaying, I mean the schedule isn't just made up off the top of the doctor's head. They don't offer polio or hep b here though unless you're in a risk group, slightly worried with polio being just a plane ride away.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:27 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
I just think it's too much all at once for a tiny body to take.

I'm not saying not to vaccinate but there's no good reason to do so many at once.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:

I'm not saying not to vaccinate but there's no good reason to do so many at once.
There is no scientific evidence that is true.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:

I don't put you in the same category as someone who refuses vaccines.

However, the CDC has said its best to give vaccines the way they are now. If you are going to argue that spacing them the way we currently do is wrong, you should rely on something more than your opinion to make that point.

Let's discuss how the current vaccine schedules are currently arrived at. The vaccine schedule is determined by a federal government agency, the Center for Disease Control (CDC). Specifically, the CDC has a committee known as the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). This committee is composed of fourteen medical professionals which represent such fields as immunology, pediatrics, family medicine, and medical research There is also one "consumer representative" appointed to the committee who does not have a medical background. Appointments to the ACIP are made by a cabinet level officer in the presidential administration in office, the Secretary of Health and Human Services. The ACIP meets three times a year and is constantly evaluating data. Vaccine schedules are changed or modified to reflect data examined and evaluated by the ACIP.

As new vaccines are developed for new diseases or better vaccines are developed for older diseases, the vaccine schedule will be changed. Reports of adverse reactions to vaccines reported to VAERS are considered and may form a basis for making changes.

The point is that a great deal of thinking and evaluation by highly qualified people goes into establishing vaccine schedules. If spacing the vaccines the way we currently do was any sort of a problem, the ACIP would recommend that it be done differently.

I think as a parent that it is sort of frightening to see a small child have a bunch of needles stuck in their small limbs when they receive their immunizations. Its sort of counter-intuitive in terms of thinking this is good for the child. On that level, I can sort of understand the fear that some parents have about vaccination. However, all scientific evidence shows that is not harmful to children. On the other hand, the diseases the vaccines are given to prevent have killed thousands of children.

I hope that this information will cause you to step back and do some serious thinking. All of us are entitled to an opinion. However, the idea that our uneducated opinion might be a better one than the opinions arrived at by the ACIP is truly far-fetched and should be discarded.

CDC - ACIP - About ACIP - Vaccines

CDC - Vaccines - Child and Adolescent Immunization Schedules

Last edited by markg91359; 06-02-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 AM

^^Excellent post!

I will add, there has been plenty of research that says this schedule is safe and that infants have no more side effects from multiple immunizations than from having them individually. If anything, it gets the sore legs over with rather than having one a week for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting