Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 03:01 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times

Advertisements

Why would you want your young son to have a close relationship with people who "yell and scream and curse?" I know they're family, and he should be taught to be polite etc. of course... but why would you even want your son to sleep over or spend time with people who are ill-mannered and yell all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 04:10 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Eight children? Grandma smokes? They were in and out of foster care? Excuse me, but those people sound like scum, even before the 'yelling and cursing' are factored-in.

SAVE your kid from exposure to this family!!! Why on EARTH would your Husband want his child to be around them?

My mom was a substance-abusing prostitute (and a mean, nasty creature). I made SURE that my husband and children never met her. I did not want her to infect our life with her nastiness.

Your husband's feelings, your feelings, and your inlaws' feelings, are less important than what it will do to your child, to be around them. I would think that your husband would take the lead, in insulating your child from those people.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:24 PM

493 posts, read 512,038 times
I agree and when we started dating I never met them only his aunt and uncle (who are extremely sweet)then he decided to repair his relationship with them. I just dont know how to say it to him.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:45 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
So right now your husband just knows your son doesn't like to be with his family, but doesn't know why?

Instead of being "hurt"when he finds out, he should try to be understanding, your son is probably frightened of them, does he want his child to be with someone who frightens him? I hope not! I'm sure when you put it that way he'll be more understanding. And also, tell him this CAN be resolved, but it's up to your husband to tell the family (without your son around) that he's a little frightened and that maybe they should make more of an effort to be more calm and loving around your son (and that other boy) so they will be more comfortable. There is a difference between a loud and rambunctious and fun family vs. a wild and angry and screaming bunch. My husband's family is loud, but it's a fun and "we love each other so much" kind of loud.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:24 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Why would you want your young son to have a close relationship with people who "yell and scream and curse?" I know they're family, and he should be taught to be polite etc. of course... but why would you even want your son to sleep over or spend time with people who are ill-mannered and yell all the time?

I absolutely agree!!!!!

kids know who they like and who they dont.

I like one of my uncles more than the other, and they are brothers.....and till this day, I am very close with the one I really like (visiting, phone calls) , and just regular with the other one, (only on alternate holidays, which doesnt say much, LOL)

dont force the child, I would never force mine.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
So right now your husband just knows your son doesn't like to be with his family, but doesn't know why?

Instead of being "hurt"when he finds out, he should try to be understanding, your son is probably frightened of them, does he want his child to be with someone who frightens him? I hope not! I'm sure when you put it that way he'll be more understanding. And also, tell him this CAN be resolved, but it's up to your husband to tell the family (without your son around) that he's a little frightened and that maybe they should make more of an effort to be more calm and loving around your son (and that other boy) so they will be more comfortable. There is a difference between a loud and rambunctious and fun family vs. a wild and angry and screaming bunch. My husband's family is loud, but it's a fun and "we love each other so much" kind of loud.

that's what I was thinking. if your home life is quiet and pleasant, and theirs is yelling screaming cursing, the child isn't used to it, and it could possibly frighten him a bit........maybe in private you could ask the boy...

Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I wouldn't force a child to stay with people he doesn't like. It could be your attitude, but it also could be something he senses about them on his own. IMO, kids can be a good judge of who isn't nice to be around.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Listen to your child. I think he's going with his gut and just doesn't like them or worse, doesn't feel safe. I would not force the situation.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:22 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
I agree that your son is probably scared of them due to the yelling and such. I wouldn't force my son to be around people that scared him and certainly not stay there overnight. Your husband will just have to get over it because this should be about the way his child feels not him.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:06 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times
Don't force a relationship. I tell my boys, you don't have to like everyone, but you need to treat them with respect. Same with family, you don't have to like them. I certainly don't like everyone in my family. Other than the holiday gatherings, I have no need/want to see some of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting