Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,386 times

Advertisements

I have a 11 year old son who can not sleep at night every since his 9 year old cousin passed away , they were very close. He comes in my room every night cause he cant sleep what can i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 03:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Mitchell View Post
I have a 11 year old son who can not sleep at night every since his 9 year old cousin passed away , they were very close. He comes in my room every night cause he cant sleep what can i do?
First of all, I am so sorry for your family's loss. This situation is very different from the previous discussion, and being unable to sleep well is a symptom of your son's grief - was he close to his cousin?

In many areas, Hospice offers support groups for children who've lost loved ones. This might be helpful for your son to process what has happened. There are also books about dealing with death and grief, and individual counseling might also be helpful for him. His school counselor may be able to help or to suggest other assistance for him, as may your pastor.

Make sure your son receives a lot of affection and reassurance right now, and that he understands that a child's death is both tragic and rare, and that it's okay and very normal to miss his cousin, to cry, to wish things were different, etc. Perhaps writing a story about his cousin and how he feels about things would be helpful, or maybe drawing a picture, planting flower seeds in a pot, or making some other craft to give his cousins' parents might be cathartic.

Best wishes to you and your family, especially your son.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,386 times
Thanks alot for the advice and yes he was very close to his cousin and i have tried everything to confort him and still is , i just dont like seeing him like this , when my 11 year old son list his 9 year old cousin it seems like it tramatizef him he was with him every day , and he just dont sleep at all at nite.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
google the stages of grief and help your son recognize them and deal with them. if he needs professional help do not hesitate to provide it for him to help him cope. A close death at that age can shake a kids' world and bring all sorts of fear forward. You may not be the best person to help him if it continues. There are many professionals who help young children deal with grief.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:24 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
I would talk to his doctor, especially if this is something new. He could be under a lot of stress or have trouble getting things out of his mind. If it persists, you may want to try (with consulting a pediatrician) benedryl. I worked with a child with severe anxiety and she had to take benedryl to help her for a bit while we worked on relaxation in therapy. I would also try to get him out of bed earlier (like maybe 7am even on weekends) and force his "clock" to switch. Other things, make sure he's not having caffeine/sugar after like 8pm (or earlier), no TV/computer right before bed, and he should get into a routine. If he might be stressed, try doing some yoga with him, getting him to work out, or have him talk to you about what's going on. (may or may not be it...his schedule could just be off too!). With some kids that I work with who complain that they can't get thoughts out of their head at nice, we go over specific relaxation strategies that I can send you if you think that is it.
You can't force a clock to just switch.
I'm someone who can stay up late and sleep in late naturally. It's how I best function. I have a job with early hours and a long commute, I have to tire myself out the day before, I take something every night that makes me fall asleep.

It's not something you can just force to switch and voila it's done....it's a constant everyday battle to make sure you fall asleep at the right time.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:30 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
I second the melatonin idea. It really does work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting