Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Teaching a young person what they need to know (which needs to start way before they can move out!) is a great gift...and I would go further to say that it's a parental responsibility.

However, telling a young person that they are are so clueless they will end in court (not that Judge Judy is an actual legal proceeding, but it pretends to be) is not helping them....it's telling them that they are going to end up with legal issues. How is that helpful?
It's not telling a child they're going to fail and end up in court. It's saying this is how people can end up in court. (It's irrelevant that Judge Judy isn't real court) It's impossible to teach children every single thing they need to know before they move out of the house. Not many children are interested in sitting around and having legal discussions with their parents, except mine when it came to search and seizure laws and my children were the ones who imitated that discussion and they taught me a thing or two. LOL They sure weren't interested in learning contract law until after they moved out and needed to learn it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Teaching a young person what they need to know (which needs to start way before they can move out!) is a great gift...and I would go further to say that it's a parental responsibility.

However, telling a young person that they are are so clueless they will end in court (not that Judge Judy is an actual legal proceeding, but it pretends to be) is not helping them....it's telling them that they are going to end up with legal issues. How is that helpful?
NK never said anything of the sort. You are looking at it from your perspective, not the kid's. As was pointed out, repeatedly I might add, they didn't just plop him in front of a recording of Judge Judy shows, they ALL SAT TOGETHER, and when the kid saw something he couldn't believe, THEY TALKED ABOUT IT. I'm sure those conversations were more in depth than No Kudzu has the room to put here, but to state that it was even implying that the kid was going to fail is ridiculous.

As I stated, if someone had done something similar with me, I could have avoided a whole hell of a lot of crap that was totally unnecessary because, here's the kicker: I don't think like that. I don't think in the same way that some people in this world think. It would never occur to me to sue this person or that person over some of the things you'll see people sue others for. The show was just an opening for conversation.

You know, just like in school, you watch a show, movie, program, and then you TALK ABOUT IT...that's how teachers and professors teach! It's not just about watching the movie, show, or program, it's about discussing what you saw, what you heard, and learn things that you didn't know. Clearly if the kid is asking questions, he didn't know. He couldn't believe it. Guess what? You'll find people like the ones on that show everywhere in this country. Why NOT let him know they are out there? Why NOT discuss renter's rights, and how to do returns, and whatever the heck else they witnessed? It's not the flipping show, that you are so hung up on, it was about using it as a spring board for an educational discussion. Not a single thing wrong with that.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Odd gift, but it got the discussion going between him and his parents so it was a good gift. Odd, but good!

But wait, you're supposed to keep receipts? What for?

Old 06-05-2014, 04:55 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
I think this was a creative way to let this young person know to be safe and use his head.

I think it's a great idea!!

Old 06-05-2014, 06:33 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
I don't mind people being blunt, or even disagreeing with me...but really, how is having a young man whose parents, and the friends of his parents, think is so clueless that he can't hack living on his own watch a tv show like judge judy at all helpful?

No one has to agree......but this really is a stupid idea. Since when does reality tv (which, again, is anything but reality) take the place of parenting and talking to our children that are young adults?

"Here kid, I didn't give you the skills you need in the past 18-19-20 years....watch a tv show to see how you are going to screw up!"
You keep bringing up that reality tv is not reality. Does that really matter in this case?

Old 06-05-2014, 07:29 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
You know what... the shocking thing here is that the kid actually sat with you all and watched, and had constructive conversations about what you were watching. How often does THAT happen anymore in this world of iphones and facebook and twitter and instagram and candy crust etc etc?

This kid will more than likely do just fine on his own if he was brought up right.... whether you watched Judge Judy or not.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:
I don't mind people being blunt, or even disagreeing with me...but really, how is having a young man whose parents, and the friends of his parents, think is so clueless that he can't hack living on his own watch a tv show like judge judy at all helpful?
Ugh... His parents don't believe he's clueless. just inexperienced, and as a result, is naive in the ways of the people in this world, not to mention any legal wranglings that WILL come his way.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-05-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 08:17 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:

Where is that post that said the parents told the kid he was clueless... or are you seeing things that aren't there just to make an argument?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times
I love the idea of this gift, and when my kids get older I think I'll watch Judge Judy with them too. Right now, we watch Hoarders together...not because I think they will one day live in a house so full of stuff that EMTs can't get in, but because I want them to see how easily a problem can snowball, how important it is to get help when you need it, how memories live in your heart and not necessarily in your stuff. I admit I also want them to get disgusted with the mess on the tv so they'll clean their rooms.

Sounds like the Judge Judy is pretty similar.

It isn't TV's job to teach my children, but it can be a very effective tool to facilitate a dialogue.

Heck, I used Dora the Explorer and Ni hao, Kai Lan, to teach the kids about respecting different cultures....not because I thought they were in danger of getting lost on the way home through the Nut Farm and the Spooky Forest.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:16 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
A subway gift card works. A $100 gift card can mean about 18 or 19 $5.00 footlongs depending on tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting