Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It depends on the parent. I was spanked with a belt as were many of my friends. Moderately strict discipline combined with GOOD PARENTING is fine.

When people say that corporal punishment leads to poor outcomes, this tends to neglect many factors. The studies don't seem to measure the quality of the parenting, just whether or not a child is spanked. I suspect that immigrant parents and working class multi-generational parents are more inclined to spank. For those individuals, they probably feel that if their kids fall off the straight and narrow, the only landing places are the graveyard and prison. Most middle and upper middle class (white) families...at least in my opinion, view failure as being many things besides "dead or in jail."

I've seen plenty of kids that were not spanked with mixed results. Some kids just "get it" and don't need as much guidance. Others will make you pull your hair out and perhaps need more structure and discipline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Not legally abuse unless you are really injuring the child, but probably not necessary. I don't regret the few times I was spanked with a belt though.
I understand it's hard to admit when you love your parents that they were wrong. But they WERE WRONG.

There's no excuse for it.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:58 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
Just wanted to add that it has been scientifically proven that spanking lowers a child's IQ:

Children Who Are Spanked Have Lower IQs, New Research Finds -- ScienceDaily

Old 06-21-2014, 11:07 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Just wanted to add that it has been scientifically proven that spanking lowers a child's IQ:

Children Who Are Spanked Have Lower IQs, New Research Finds -- ScienceDaily
I'm not sure what other than low IQ or lack of being taught statistics could explain the inability to distinguish a statistical correlation from a causal relationship.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I understand it's hard to admit when you love your parents that they were wrong. But they WERE WRONG.
You have a right to your opinion. Since I was there and you were not, my opinion counts for more.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
The only time I ever see you around the parenting forum is if the topic of spanking comes up.
There is a lot of misinformation on the subject and I find it necessary to correct it.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:13 AM

58 posts, read 88,367 times
For give or take 200,000 years human beings have used corporal punishment to curb bad behavior and rewards to reinforce good behavior.

Now take a gander at some of the current results of the American "don't discipline your kids movement" - violence and mass shootings are at all time highs, bullying is rampant and on a whole 'nother level, drug, alcohol, and sex are up across the board, suicide rates through the roof, etc, etc.

Just like the Japanese (and every other non-American country) Smoker's Paradox all these studies you post are rigged nonsense. Any study can come out any way you want it to fit your political or financial agenda. You need only look at direct results - America since namby pampy mode kicked in is in decline in every facet of life, Asian countries still beat and still thrive.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what other than low IQ or lack of being taught statistics could explain the inability to distinguish a statistical correlation from a causal relationship.
How often they were spanked made a difference. The more spanking, the greater the IQ difference. There was a lower IQ average in countries where spanking was most prevalent. There was a higher incidence of irrational fear in children who had been spanked, also tied to lower IQ. The foremost researcher in the field conducted the study.

If you think you're smarter than me, him and everyone else, then feel free to conduct your own study but in the meantime I think there's a pretty strong case here.

You've also been reported for rudeness... I guess all that spanking didn't teach you manners after all.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysoldier1982 View Post
For give or take 200,000 years human beings have used corporal punishment to curb bad behavior and rewards to reinforce good behavior.

Now take a gander at some of the current results of the American "don't discipline your kids movement" - violence and mass shootings are at all time highs, bullying is rampant and on a whole 'nother level, drug, alcohol, and sex are up across the board, suicide rates through the roof, etc, etc.

Just like the Japanese (and every other non-American country) Smoker's Paradox all these studies you post are rigged nonsense. Any study can come out any way you want it to fit your political or financial agenda. You need only look at direct results - America since namby pampy mode kicked in is in decline in every facet of life, Asian countries still beat and still thrive.
Violence and teen sex have actually gone way way down in society, reporting and sensationalization of it has gone up... and your entire post is the typical right wing 'just take a really nasty tone' argument.

I've lived in Asia and taught there, and the kids who were beaten always had issues... the ones who excelled had a support structure that never involved physical punishments. You know nothing about the subject.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:38 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
You have a right to your opinion. Since I was there and you were not, my opinion counts for more.
Not really, as your opinion would be too biased to give it real weight.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:40 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toysoldier1982 View Post

What studies do you have to back up that statement? As for your other statement on mass shootings.... Mass shootings are not growing in frequency, experts say - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.