Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:34 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,190,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yes. Read the links I provided. It is specifically relevant if there was never a previous court order.

Proof he paid something each month since the baby was born could save him from paying back support, but HE NEEDS A LAWYER because there are no guarantees how the judge will rule.
Agreed. The court can look at the money he has been providing as a "gift" and disregard it entirely. He needs a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 05:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissWhitness View Post
Thank you Madeline! However, none of the payments he made were court ordered. He was just handling his responsibility.
She meant this is an example of why a court order should have been put in place when she was born.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,161,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
She meant this is an example of why a court order should have been put in place when she was born.
Exactly!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,484,309 times
It's not a bad thing at all to have court ordered support. My xH's check is garnished for child support - not because he is a deadbeat, but to have proof that he is paying as he should.

Get a lawyer. Present the documentation of how he has paid, and any reference you may have to her referring to their agreement. That will help with the back child support. Going forward, he will likely have to pay the state standard for his salary. Here's a calculator: Texas AG calculator

Note that in Texas most fathers are required to pay the full cost of health insurance premiums AND half of all out-of-pocket medical expenses. This will likely be added to his child support amount.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
Note that in Texas most fathers are required to pay the full cost of health insurance premiums AND half of all out-of-pocket medical expenses. This will likely be added to his child support amount.
In my state, noncustodial parents are only required to provide health insurance and pay the premiums if family plans are provided by their employers. My girlfriend's ex doesn't need to provide insurance because he's self employed. She is the one who has to provide it since it's available via her employer. They do both split the out of pocket expenses.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:35 PM

118 posts, read 253,495 times
If you are interested in what possible future payments might be, there is an online calculator. I don't have the link handy though.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:52 PM

477 posts, read 799,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissWhitness View Post
So even though there was never a court order and his name isn't on the birth certificate, the court could mandate back child support?
OP, why do you keep asking about the birth certificate? Clearly, he knows this is his daughter and can't deny he knew. They've been in contact. Either way, they'll do a dna test.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
OP, why do you keep asking about the birth certificate? Clearly, he knows this is his daughter and can't deny he knew. They've been in contact. Either way, they'll do a dna test.
Yep. And hypothetically even if he didn't know he'd still be responsible for back child support.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 PM

291 posts, read 391,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My guess is that had he honored that verbal agreement - he wouldn't have received court papers. But, who knows.
If I were him, I'd write her and try to get written confirmation of the money he sent if he thinks she's going to go for back child support. For example, "I am happy to meet in court but I'm wondering why this is necessary given that you have been receiving $500/month like we agreed? I would be happy to work out a parenting plan with your lawyer to save court costs if you just want this done on the up and up. Let me know."

If she replies affirming that she's been receiving it (particularly if she affirms that she received it but wants more in back support), the court could take that in his favor. Get it in writing.

Family law is not for women: it's for the children. It is not in the interest of the child to have parents battling it out and not coming to agreement over a parenting plan.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:59 AM

477 posts, read 799,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yep. And hypothetically even if he didn't know he'd still be responsible for back child support.
Yes, but WHY do you keep bringing it up? That's what I'm curious about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting