Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which was the worst?
Easy Baake. Oven 6 20.00%
Lawn darts 13 43.33%
Energy lab 7 23.33%
Or Barbie Sky dan 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:30 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, the list was hard to read.

Yes, the barbie doll that is being talked about is *bullfighting barbie.* Of course, the doll is now a collectors item and sells for a good bit of money.

Helping Animals Worldwide: Bullfighting Barbie Banished!
There's also a Barbie dog that eats its own poop. Well, they are brown pellets that are pretend food going in and pretend poop coming out, but potato/potahto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 01:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Flubber. It was made in the early 60's as a product tie-in to "The Absent Minded Professor". It was amazing stuff. It could be stretched or made into a ball and bounced. I got it as a present and loved it. Then the rash hit. Turns out Flubber was toxic.

It was pulled from the shelves. All the unsold Flubber was disposed of by burying it in a pit which was then paved over. Nowadays parents would sue the heck out of the manufacturer and the stores and anyone they could think of. My parents tossed it in the trash and took me to get a replacement gift. I chose a Duncan yo-yo which my brother promptly appropriated and launched into sub-orbit in the living room.

He had to pay for the broken window.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:37 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,165,715 times
Anyone remember the old Slip and Slides? They used metal 'tent pegs' to hold the plastic down. I know of two kids that got pretty serious cuts due to those pegs. Not to mention the kids that slid head first and sustained spinal injuries.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
No Johnny Switchblade or Bag O'Glass?

Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I chose a Duncan yo-yo which my brother promptly appropriated and launched into sub-orbit in the living room.

He had to pay for the broken window.
I can't stop laughing at this because I know I did the same thing (at least outside). I couldn't get the yo-yo to come back up to save my life, so I ended up using it like a bolo. I would just swing it over my head around and around and around, eventually letting go and seeing how far it would fly.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:21 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomaster2004 View Post
#15:Easy Bake Oven, well, a cooking appliance for kids.And those kids like thier fingers burnt off,In 2007, Hasbros toy had all deferred of burns and even a 5year olds finger got amputated.

14, Clackers, From the 70s, two balls on a cord, numeral broken teeth.

13: Aqua Dots, the glue could drug woman. Pixos are the new ones.

12,A Jetpack, sometimes this toy would launch people Fourty feet in the air. 4 deaths and. Many injuries

11, lawn darts, it took them 18 yrs and 3 deaths to realize giving infants a sharp pointed object was dumb.

10, dive sticks, the obvious conclusion you might come to is "well! kids are drowning looking for all the darn sticks, but your wrong the reason they wrer recalled, INPALEMENT,oh yes and eye gouging.

9, Burger King poke balls, somehow kids where getting half the ball stuck between thier nose and mouth.

8,CsI fingerprint exam, the powder contained ASBETOS.And the company didn't even give a darn.

7, Barbie sky dancers, these caused a numeral blindness, broken teeth, facial lacerations, concussions.

6, Yoyo water ball aka explosive soffocaton bombs, flambable disel is on them.

5.Baby bratz Jade, in one of its songs people claim they heard the F word followed by you.

4,Vtech baby pjon3, cusses,

3,Toy Penguin Fuigures, head is rewmovable with nails

2, Spanish Barbie, this toy basicly solluted bulls being killed.

And 1, Gilbert u238 energy lab, well it couldn't be #1 beacause it included real uranium, or a recipe for morre uranium? Srsly

This is pretty much a bored at work on Monday post and a lot of these are favored toys from my youth.
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 don't apply to me and I don't even know what they are.

The uranium/asbestos in those toys are no worse than what you find in Chinese made Walmart items today.

Easy bake ovens were for girls and my 3 sisters didn't have one and never asked for one.

Jarts were the bomb and we would throw them up in the air as high as we could and dodge it when it came down. Kids today are either not used to the physical activity, don't have the innate ability to watch, or don't have the coordination to know when the jart falls it comes down hard and fast. No one ever got close to hurt.

Clackers were fun but boring. How long could one actually bounce those things without losing interest? I remember friend's moms making them.

Jetpack? Sorry, never saw one that fits that description. I put it into the same category as infants with Jarts.

I remember the best slingshot in the world - Wrist rocket. They would be in the same class as "assault rifle" today. I still have my decades old one.

Want to know a really boring toy? Bicycle helmet. It would have come in handy while tossing Jarts around.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:26 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
11, lawn darts, it took them 18 yrs and 3 deaths to realize giving infants a sharp pointed object was dumb.
Who are these people with the utter lack of foresight who bought these? I swear some people shouldn't be parents. Hopefully it's the ones who don't have kids who bought them as gifts, because then that would at least be an excuse.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:14 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomaster2004 View Post
2, Spanish Barbie, this toy basicly solluted bulls being killed.
Speaking of Barbie... how about Rollerblade Barbie? The roller blades had a piece of flint in them so that when Barbie "skated" around sparks would shoot out the back. The bottom of her roller blades were basically the same as the top of a lighter (without the fuel to get a real fire going). I wonder if any serious damage or injury ever came from this doll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWZ7eE_5sJs

Old 07-07-2014, 06:48 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Anyone remember the old Slip and Slides? They used metal 'tent pegs' to hold the plastic down. I know of two kids that got pretty serious cuts due to those pegs. Not to mention the kids that slid head first and sustained spinal injuries.
I thought about that toy myself. I was an older kid then, and the whole Slip 'n' Slide concept was rather alarming to me. The idea of zipping along that thing so fast when it was quite possible I would run over any number of very sharp, hidden objects with my privates (or other body part) was not something I was interested in doing

Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Who are these people with the utter lack of foresight who bought these? I swear some people shouldn't be parents. Hopefully it's the ones who don't have kids who bought them as gifts, because then that would at least be an excuse.
I think OP is using the term infant to refer to children, not actual toddlers, and honestly there were/are a lot of things that were more dangerous to the typical 8-12 yr old than playing jarts (well, unless you were one of those kids tossing them in the air and running, lol) I have a couple of scars from stupid bike tricks, but never got hurt playing jarts, shrug.
Slip and slide just hurrrt, maybe a lot of fun on smooth soft sand or something, but in the typical back yard it was NOT fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting