Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

There are affordable preschools out there. My children's was in the basement of a church. They don't take 2 year olds but look around so you know what's available when your child is older. Not having a second car will be a problem because most preschools are half day. For full day, you need to pay daycare center prices at daycares that offer preschool. There might be a occasional church that's running a full day preschool though. You just need to research it to find everything that's available in your area.

For now, you can look for someone who will watch your child in your home or their own home. These people are usually more affordable than daycare center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 03:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
It probably varies by state, but different licensing requirements make 2 1/2 years a very common age cut off for preschools. Sometimes 3 years and potty trained is the youngest places will take them.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
i want my 2 year old in daycare but i cant afford fulltime. Once a week would be $87 dollars. more manageable to my pocket. i dont get daycare assistance but i do have FSA daycare. twice a week would be $158. would once a week be a waste since we could have to get her readjusted over and over again. once a week would be better money wise. but twice a week would probably be more beneficial to my daughter. just being out of the house and being around other children her age will be good for her.
I would shoot for twice a week. We did this when our daughter was about 3. We had her in day care (mornings only) 2 days a week. It gave her a chance to socialize with other kids. Eventually we did have kids in our neighborhood and we were able to take her out of child care.

What about a mommy's day out at one of the churches? Or have you investigated your parks and rec center? Sometimes they offer programs on a very limited bases? I am sure you can find something if you just do some research. I might add, I don't think, at two years old it is really necessary to have her involved with other kids, but by three is would be helpful and give mommy a little break.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:52 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
It's a good idea because he can socialize with kids his own age. He'll learn to share and things like. No, it's not a waste of time.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:58 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I agree with nana You don't want to start out with a full day. It's way too long for starting out at this age.
okay my littlest started daycare at about 2 months? though I would argue that 2 years is when they start to see a real benefit from daycare (social interaction/etc)

Little is better than nothing. . .daycare is what will seperate this generation from quickstarters and slow starters in kindgergarden, and . . .once your a slow starter youll never get that back

Old 07-12-2014, 07:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
okay my littlest started daycare at about 2 months? though I would argue that 2 years is when they start to see a real benefit from daycare (social interaction/etc)

Little is better than nothing. . .daycare is what will seperate this generation from quickstarters and slow starters in kindgergarden, and . . .once your a slow starter youll never get that back
No, daycare will not separate the quick starters from the slow starters. Daycare can benefit kids, but unless it is a quality daycare, it won't help much at all. Unfortunately, there are a lot of mediocre daycares out there.

Kids can learn a lot at home especially if parents play with them and understand child development. I taught the 2 to 6 year olds and they learn best from play. It is good to have structure, but they can have it at home too.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:45 PM

43 posts, read 74,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
i want my 2 year old in daycare but i cant afford fulltime. Once a week would be $87 dollars. more manageable to my pocket. i dont get daycare assistance but i do have FSA daycare. twice a week would be $158. would once a week be a waste since we could have to get her readjusted over and over again. once a week would be better money wise. but twice a week would probably be more beneficial to my daughter. just being out of the house and being around other children her age will be good for her.
I started my son at 2.5 in daycare, 2 days a week. I wanted to do 1 day or a half day but the minimum was 2 days and it was the same cost whether he went for a few hours or the whole day. Since we couldn't do a few hours since we both work FT we started him with 2 full days. He didn't seem to have a problem with it. Before starting he was home during the days with my mom and slept in til 9 or later...and refused to take naps. Going to daycare at 8am and getting up 6:30-7 with a full day of activity helped get him on a good schedule and get him to take naps in the afternoon.

He wasn't talking until he got to school. He was getting early intervention once a week as well starting at age 2 but it wasn't until he was around other kids that he started talking. He is 3 now and about to move up to the next level classroom so I had a meeting with his current teacher to the other day to go over his progress and the plan to help him with the transition to move up in September. For me this school has been WELL worth the cost and has greatly benefited my son. They have a curriculum with music, art, story time, nap time, playground time etc as well as different topics they learn about like dinosaur week for example. This week they are learning about sand, ocean animals and painting seashells. They give us reports every few months on his gross and fine motor skills, communication, comprehension and things that they see him do well and what he struggles with. It is very detailed. Had he been at home this whole time I would never have been able to know what things I should work on with him. As his mom I see the things he does well (counting, letters, building blocks for example) and praise him for that and let him keep doing what he likes (which are the things that he is good at and come easy to him) but I would never think or know to encourage him to do the things he needs work on (cutting with safety scissors, holding a crayon).

I think it is very beneficial at age 2 for a child to be in daycare if it is more like a learning/school environment as opposed to just someone watching the kid all day. I like that he gets out with other kids and that the school provides structure and let's him explore and learn. In the winter there is lots to play with and lots of stimulation as opposed to being stuck in our small house.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
okay my littlest started daycare at about 2 months?

...daycare is what will seperate this generation from quickstarters and slow starters in kindgergarden, and . . .once your a slow starter youll never get that back
This generation isn't the first generation to attend daycare in mass droves.

It's sad how wrong you are about daycare being that influential AND about slow starters never catch up.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
If Mom is tired couldn't she just hire a sitter a few hours a week to come to the house to entertain the child while Mom is sleeping?

That is what I did when I was 55 and had two adopted infants only 4 months apart in age. I found a wonderful woman who had kids in school who didn't want much more than a few hours to earn some money. I was flexible with her if her kids got sick and she would change days if I needed to go somewhere and didn't want to take the girls.

The girls benefitted greatly from the one on one reading, tea parties, puzzles...the sort of things a busy Mom can't do for 3 hours straight. I got a good nap-neither baby slept through the night for months after we got them home. And the young Mom earned a bit of money to help her family without the stress of a "real" job. It was win win for all of us. Sometimes she would do a load of laundry if it needed it but other than that she had no household duties...just play girly games for 3 hours 3 times a week for about 6 months. I swear it saved my life.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:24 AM

3 posts, read 2,834 times
Well, At the age of 2. It is suggested for preschools. As the preschools are running till half day while day care is for whole day. At the preschools kids learns lots of things. Meets other kids also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting