Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 PM

31 posts, read 35,079 times

Advertisements

Im new to the forums so Im going to take this chance to introduce myself aswell.

I just moved here from Turkey, we lived in Istanbul for 4 years and due to my husbands job we had to come here to Mexico and we will stay here for a year. We were supposed to move to another city and I had everything planned, I'd found this beautiful school for her to attend but since we had to change plans of course I had to find a new school and the only one that was willing to take her this late was an American School.

My problem here is that she does not speak English at all, she speaks Spanish and German, she speaks Turkish too but I guess that will be lost once she stops using it completely. The school claims to have an 80% english 20% spanish curriculum. My husband tells me not to worry as she had to adapt in Turkey as well but that is totally different. Its not the same thing as she was 3 almost 4 back then and now she is 7 almost 8. I dont know if Im overthinking this, I just dont want her to have a hard year in a strange country. We will stay here for a year only tho, we will finally live in Germany in September 2015 but in the meantime Im really scared for her.

Have any of you been in a situation like this? Im specially uncomfortable because I didnt hand picked the school myself, it was either this or she will miss a whole year of school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:12 PM

477 posts, read 801,630 times
Why would she miss a whole year of school? Maybe you can get a tutor or home school?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,774,875 times
When you do get to Germany she will be taking English in school as a language requirement .

For this coming year, get her a tutor to help with English. Or see what the school has to offer in the way of extra help for non-English speakers. At her age she will pick it up quickly. She will transition easily into German schools .

Old 07-14-2014, 11:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
She should do fine at age 7 and 8, especially since she already speaks multiple languages. When I was growing up, we moved to Holland for a year and few people spoke English there back then in the town where we lived. My siblings and I spanned ages of 4 to 14 with two being near your daughter's age. All of my siblings learned to speak Dutch rather quickly. Since I was the youngest, I only learned to understand Dutch quickly, but I didn't start speaking Dutch until just before we were moving back to the states. Your daughter already speaks multiple languages. My siblings and I only spoke English when we moved there.

I see no reason for her to miss an entire year of school. I think she'd be sadder to stay home with you and have limited opportunities to be around other kids her age. I'm sure there are other children in her school who speak Spanish or the curriculum wouldn't include Spanish. Just the fact these English speaking students are living in Mexico means they are speaking or learning Spanish themselves. So she will be able to communicate with other some students and definitely the teachers.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,259,508 times
I agree with Hopes, she will most likely pick up English really quickly, multilingual kids pick up new languages much quicker than monolingual kids but even monolingual kids at that age can usually pick up a language when they are immersed in it.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:46 AM

31 posts, read 35,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
When you do get to Germany she will be taking English in school as a language requirement .

For this coming year, get her a tutor to help with English. Or see what the school has to offer in the way of extra help for non-English speakers. At her age she will pick it up quickly. She will transition easily into German schools .
Well in the area we will be living they teach French first and in the 3rd grade, according to my husband anyways so she wont be behind in that area.

I dont know, as I said I think that I'm so concerned because I didnt properly picked the school and Im afraid it wont be the best choice for her. Thanks for replying to my post!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluc View Post
Well in the area we will be living they teach French first and in the 3rd grade, according to my husband anyways so she wont be behind in that area.

I dont know, as I said I think that I'm so concerned because I didnt properly picked the school and Im afraid it wont be the best choice for her. Thanks for replying to my post!
It sounds to me, if I read correctly, that the thing that is bothering you the most is that you didn't choose this school yourself. You are disappointed b/c you had chosen a wonderful school in the city where you thought you were moving but then that changed.

But then you say that this is the only school that will let your child enroll at this late date, correct?

So really - what choice do you have? If this is the only school that will allow your child to enroll, then what are your choices? Are you thinking you would rather home school her for this year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting