Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 09:59 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Sorry, but if I saw a 9 yo dropped off at a park and left there for hours alone I'd call the cops too.
This. A park is not a babysitter. There are all sorts of pedophiles and other predators hanging out at parks these days, and children need to be supervised. Although she is in a difficult position, she should have made other child care arrangements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 10:13 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. A park is not a babysitter. There are all sorts of pedophiles and other predators hanging out at parks these days, and children need to be supervised.
No, there really aren't. Almost all cases of abuse are inflicted by someone the child knows. The stranger danger in the park (surrounded by 30-40 other kids and adults) is almost nil. Less than 3% of molestations occur from a stranger.

Guess where lots of abuse happens? Foster care. One study reports 28% of children in foster care are abused while in care. That's more than one in four kids ever placed in foster care. That's what "calling the police" has accomplished for this girl and her family, a one in four chance of abuse.

The Foster Care System and Its Victims: Part 2 | Psychology Today

Old 07-20-2014, 10:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
The article with the interview with the attorney is interesting, and provides some new details. However, apparently there was something that led the police to arrest the mom and for charges to be brought against her. It sounds like she may have been leaving the child alone at night to work the night shift!

Old 07-20-2014, 11:08 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
No, there really aren't. Almost all cases of abuse are inflicted by someone the child knows. The stranger danger in the park (surrounded by 30-40 other kids and adults) is almost nil. Less than 3% of molestations occur from a stranger.

Guess where lots of abuse happens? Foster care. One study reports 28% of children in foster care are abused while in care. That's more than one in four kids ever placed in foster care. That's what "calling the police" has accomplished for this girl and her family, a one in four chance of abuse.

The Foster Care System and Its Victims: Part 2 | Psychology Today
Oh, so children don't need to be supervised? Besides, foster parents are really strangers to the children they foster, so you're actually proving my point. In addition, children still should not be left alone in parks. Other parents are not responsible for another mother's child and are probably unaware of the child's situation as well. I do agree that only a small percentage of molestations occur from a stranger. Most occur from family members. Does the smaller statistic somehow make it OK to risk a child's safety? No.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh, so children don't need to be supervised? Besides, foster parents are really strangers to the children they foster, so you're actually proving my point. In addition, children still should not be left alone in parks. Other parents are not responsible for another mother's child and are probably unaware of the child's situation as well. I do agree that only a small percentage of molestations occur from a stranger. Most occur from family members. Does the smaller statistic somehow make it OK to risk a child's safety? No.
No, I personally don't think a typical 9yr old playing at a crowded park needs to be supervised. The chance of something happening to that 9yr old is tiny. Let's think of some things that could happen to her if she stayed at mcdonalds instead. She could choke on a French fry, she could die in a mass shooting, she could be molested by that same elusive park stranger in the bathroom, she could be hit by a car crossing the parking lot with her mom on the way home. How about at a daycare? Same list of terrible statistically unlikely scenarios.

The point is that statistically the child was as safe at the park than somewhere else. If you're going to imagine unlikely scenarios let's imagine them across the board.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:00 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Good point GotHereQuickAsICould The people who turned her in--- are they contributing to the parks in the neighborhood to host a caretaker/ coach/ attendant/ like they do in some cities?? Why do some places / towns cities care and some don't?? I am telling you- latch key kids are the MAJORITY!!!!
I agree that the latch key kids are in the majority.

My daughter was a children's librarian until recently. The school would drop off busloads (5 or 6 most days) of students to roam around the library after school. The school had an afterschool program run by AmeriCorps that cost $10 a month, and even this was waived for financial hardships. Unfortunately, you had to pick up your child by 5:30 and some were unable or unwilling to do that.

So they told the school to drop the kids off at the library to roam around for hours on end. Some kids were there until closing at 9 at night. Even then, there were times they had to call the police to straighten out where a kid or two would go for the night.

I have no idea if the people who called the police were contributing to a caretaker/coach attendant at the park. The article did not mention that these services were available. Only that there was a free breakfast and lunch program available for kids.

Any time I've seen a program like that, it usually means there are a lot of unsupervised children running around. Which got me to wondering, why was she singled out since I'll bet there were dozens more just like her roaming around.

And why did the police arrest the mother? I've never heard of that before. I've only known police offers to return the child to the parent along with a number to call at social services to help with making different arrangements.

I've worked on Crisis Response Teams and watched as police officers calmly explained options to parents who have told them on no uncertain terms to get out of their business.

Which is why this doesn't make sense to me.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
We all know why Debra Lynn Harrell was targeted. I want to know which park this was, but have not been able to find information online about that.

Debra Harrell and the mythology of bad black mothers - LA Times

Old 07-20-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
No, I personally don't think a typical 9yr old playing at a crowded park needs to be supervised. The chance of something happening to that 9yr old is tiny. Let's think of some things that could happen to her if she stayed at mcdonalds instead. She could choke on a French fry, she could die in a mass shooting, she could be molested by that same elusive park stranger in the bathroom, she could be hit by a car crossing the parking lot with her mom on the way home. How about at a daycare? Same list of terrible statistically unlikely scenarios.

The point is that statistically the child was as safe at the park than somewhere else. If you're going to imagine unlikely scenarios let's imagine them across the board.
Regardless of where you or I or anyone else think she is safest, there are laws that address parental responsibility and apparently she ran afoul of one of these laws.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We all know why Debra Lynn Harrell was targeted. I want to know which park this was, but have not been able to find information online about that.

Debra Harrell and the mythology of bad black mothers - LA Times
Are you saying that Debra Harrell's child was the only black child at the park?

Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Thanks for posting that OpEd Nana. I agree, especially with the part about the laws being vague. However, this woman is not in jail now. Due to fundraising efforts, she has been released on bail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting