Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM

480 posts, read 664,120 times

Advertisements

Some boardgames are based around the concept of bluffing (using deception to advance your position). Poker is one well known game that bluffing is part of, and there are many others as well.

Would you play bluffing games with your kids?

Personally, this would make me uncomfortable. Being truthful and honest is very important to me, and I would like my children to be honest. I would not want to role model decepection, nor want to encourage them to be deceptive with others.

Curious for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 12:10 PM

22,239 posts, read 47,165,320 times
Yes, we played bluffing games.

Truthful and honest. eh? So no Santa, Easter Bunny or tooth fairy in your house?
How old are your kids?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
OP, the problem with your theory about truth and honesty is that you are not the parent of everyone your kids will meet.

I do not believe that sheltering/shielding kids helps them. It does nothing to prepare them for things they might encounter in life.

As a parent, I try to TEACH my kids the appropriate times for bluffing, the difference between playing board games and real life, and sportsmanship. I also teach them that people WILL lie to them and they need to know how to spot it and how to react to it.

They know that their father does things during Monopoly deals that he would never do in real life. But they also know he is still himself, he is still a good person, even though he tricked them into dealing him the last green property for two utilities. He also instructs them how to beat him next time. To me, that is opening their minds instead of closing them.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:39 PM

6,423 posts, read 7,203,081 times
Of course I'd play bluffing games with them. Playing a game involving deception doesn't teach a child that its ok to be deceptive in real life. I try and model being truthful and honest in real life and playing bluffing games won't detract from that lesson.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,951,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, we played bluffing games.

Truthful and honest. eh? So no Santa, Easter Bunny or tooth fairy in your house?
How old are your kids?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,659,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Some boardgames are based around the concept of bluffing (using deception to advance your position). Poker is one well known game that bluffing is part of, and there are many others as well.

Personally, this would make me uncomfortable. Being truthful and honest is very important to me, and I would like my children to be honest. I would not want to role model decepection, nor want to encourage them to be deceptive with others.

If by the time your child is at a cognitive level to play a game such as poker or other games that require 'bluffing' (which when you think about it is pretty much every one...including tic-tac-toe....to varying degrees) and they can't figure out the difference between game strategy and lying, you've missed a few very important things long before this.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:11 PM

291 posts, read 390,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post

Yes, we do.

We do a lot of things in games that we don't do in real life. Gambling and not having compassion on your opponents are two things in particular that we don't practice in real life, but that we practice in games. I don't, for example, give my kids a do-over in checkers. I do, however, forgive people in real life and repair old relationships.

I hate lying and I don't like bluffing in real life. But I agree with others that kids need to know that there are a lot of fake things in the world. For example they know that "natural" on food packaging means essentially nothing, though it has meaning in other contexts. They both believed in Santa Claus in spite of my original intentions to keep winter holidays secular and nature-focused. (Long story short, I was naive.)

I also don't think kids learn deception from games. They learn it from other people.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,720,562 times
I taught my kids to play Texas Hold 'Em. It's a life skill

Old 07-21-2014, 02:44 PM

6,423 posts, read 7,203,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I taught my kids to play Texas Hold 'Em. It's a life skill
I can't wait to teach my kid how to play Hold 'Em! (and Omaha and Sökö )

Old 07-21-2014, 02:57 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,376,052 times
Since my parents did not have me believing in Santa, an Easter Bunny or tooth fairy, I know there had to be many others who were also not led to believe the fantasies. Yes, I did a little of it with mine and also played bluffing games, but they were well aware they were games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting