Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 PM

419 posts, read 839,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My daughter (now 15) was getting information from teachers by text, Facebook and the school website by the time she was in middle school. She's had an email account for years but she doesn't check it very often.
Teachers texting their minor students is inappropriate. They don't need 24/7 access to each other. A parent should report that immediately to the administration and school board. They will surely put a stop to that. Also, teachers should not be Facebook friends with their students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, my kids have had e-mail accounts through Google for several years for both personal use and student use. We did verify their accounts using a credit card and paid the dollar.
I heard that if you pay the dollar (for a child e-mail account) that the e-mail company won't sell that e-mail address to spammers for a few years. No spam, as long as your child doesn't enter it anywhere to be compromised. Might be worth $1 for me to sign up for kids e-mail for myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,936,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
Teachers texting their minor students is inappropriate. They don't need 24/7 access to each other. A parent should report that immediately to the administration and school board. They will surely put a stop to that. Also, teachers should not be Facebook friends with their students.
You can set up special groups on Facebook where you don't need to be friends with everyone in the group. But then you have to be 13 to use Facebook, so I don't really see that working for Middle School, when some students might still be 13 going into 8th grade. I'm sure plenty of kids lie about their age to use it, but a school wouldn't be able to tell the students they have to use it.

Quote:
I heard that if you pay the dollar (for a child e-mail account) that the e-mail company won't sell that e-mail address to spammers for a few years. No spam, as long as your child doesn't enter it anywhere to be compromised. Might be worth $1 for me to sign up for kids e-mail for myself!
Or you could just set up a better spam filter.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,278,867 times
Quote:
I think it's fine for classrooms to have Facebook pages, and I also think it's fine for teachers to send out text alerts, as long as the purpose of the communication is school work. I do not think any teacher should friend students from a personal Facebook page. I think that's courting trouble. In any case, many schools now have proprietary social networks like Schoology that function much like Facebook but are limited to academic content within a specific school community.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 PM

291 posts, read 390,742 times
Yes, I definitely meant that it's normal for teachers to use classroom facebook pages, not personal ones! I don't know any teachers who would dream of letting a kid on their facebook page. It's actually a real challenge for teachers from small towns since they teach their friends' kids. I think they just keep a lot to themselves. But that's small town life for you. It probably gets around anyway.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,670,337 times
Quote:
If they are doing it on a personal level it is...but as part of a group text or page? It's a very appropriate use of technology. You really need to think some of your anti-tech knee jerk reactions here.

Quote:
Do you believe every urban legend you read?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
If they are doing it on a personal level it is...but as part of a group text or page? It's a very appropriate use of technology. You really need to think some of your anti-tech knee jerk reactions here.
Lots of students in middle school, and even high school, don't have a cell phone. Reality.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Lots of students in middle school, and even high school, don't have a cell phone. Reality.
Rare but it does happen (though I really do not know of any teenager I've come across that didn't have at least a basic phone that gets texts).....most teachers that use texts also make sure that vast majority of their students have ways to get texts in the first place and also use email or other web portals (such as facebook or school message boards (btw: do you have a problem with them as well?)) to post messages and announcements.

You are the one that said these things are inappropriate and that just isn't true at all and if the best you can come up with is that some teen may not have a cell phone....ah...that is pretty weak.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Rare but it does happen (though I really do not know of any teenager I've come across that didn't have at least a basic phone that gets texts).....most teachers that use texts also make sure that vast majority of their students have ways to get texts in the first place and also use email or other web portals (such as facebook or school message boards (btw: do you have a problem with them as well?)) to post messages and announcements.
Rare that a middle school student or high school student does not have a cell phone? Wrong.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Rare that a middle school student or high school student does not have a cell phone? Wrong.
Depends on the area....because really....I do not know of many kids that do not have at least a basic cell/text phone by middle school. A great many have them by 5th or 6th grade. And again....the teachers make sure that all the students have some way to get assignments and notices...text is just one.

Quote:
Many school districts already have policies in place that forbid texts/FB messages to students from school staff.
Personal facebook pages and texts...yes. However, public class pages and text groups are allowed in many areas.....they are public and open. Again, I ask what you think of school e-bulletin/message board groups for a class?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Depends on the area....because really....I do not know of many kids that do not have at least a basic cell/text phone by middle school. A great many have them by 5th or 6th grade. And again....the teachers make sure that all the students have some way to get assignments and notices...text is just one.
You are backtreading on your "rare" statement then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting