Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Or else what?

Why will this year be different?
Exactly. Bluster will get you nowhere, especially with your 17 yr old. Is she entering her senior year? Then you need to have a heart-to-heart, and tell her sending her away to college will depend on seeing how she handles both her grades, and her behavior this year. And, mean it. The 15 yr old will see the outcome, and adjust accordingly.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:08 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times
don't fold to their bull. overall it sounds pretty good tho them and your actions.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM

58 posts, read 58,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Exactly. Bluster will get you nowhere, especially with your 17 yr old. Is she entering her senior year? Then you need to have a heart-to-heart, and tell her sending her away to college will depend on seeing how she handles both her grades, and her behavior this year. And, mean it. The 15 yr old will see the outcome, and adjust accordingly.
good point

Old 07-31-2014, 01:54 PM

my only worry is that she will slack off, this year is different because its senior year, senioritus and all that jazz. If they were ever a year to slack off, this is the one most kids would choose to slack off. First detention I see, phone is gone, social life is gone. First bad grade I see, same consequences. My only worry, and I think I've said this, is how she'll be in college, we've narrowed the list of schools down.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTrojan View Post
my only worry is that she will slack off, this year is different because its senior year, senioritus and all that jazz. If they were ever a year to slack off, this is the one most kids would choose to slack off. First detention I see, phone is gone, social life is gone. First bad grade I see, same consequences. My only worry, and I think I've said this, is how she'll be in college, we've narrowed the list of schools down.
Please, stop. You're making excuses for what you think is inevitable. If you want to hear from a couple of kids who had their acceptance letters pulled after senior year screw ups, I know them.

If you intend to send her to college, you need to feel confident that you hold the cards, because you do. None of mine slacked off as seniors, they got the message that until the last report card reaches their transcripts, every grade counts.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:28 PM

I had a thought maybe, just maybe, I can get my sister to get in touch with them. If they won't listen to their parents, maybe they'll listen to the " cool" aunt. Maybe they should Skype or something.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I had a thought maybe, just maybe, I can get my sister to get in touch with them. If they won't listen to their parents, maybe they'll listen to the " cool" aunt. Maybe they should Skype or something.
Your daughters don't need to hear the viewpoint of a "cool" aunt. They need to hear the standards and expectations of their parents. I'm starting to doubt you are for real.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm a little tardy to the party, but last night, my eyes were opened when Amber asked for my credit card( she was going out with friends). There was no " please" it was " can I have...?" and her holding out her hand. I didn't give the wallet and she stormed out without it. It was a very " entitled" attitude. Told my wife about this, told her Amber( who will fight everyday if need be. Lauren picks her battles) needs a job sooner rather than later because her philosophy now is " Why work? Dad gives me money." and I worry it will soon be " My husband will by me things." She's gotta realize she can't skate through life by her looks.
You can solve this easily. Give her a set amount of money (per week or month) and that is it.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:09 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
OP, here's a tip. Once you start posting private conversations between you and your spouse, you are past the point of dealing with this via internet advice. She isn't listening to you, and you are disrespecting her by sharing it here.

You remind me very much of another poster, whose threads went on and on because every day he would report on exactly what his spouse said. Don't fall into that trap. Talk to her, not us.
Irish...or something like that? I cannot remember, but was thinking the EXACT same thing! LOL.

Quote:
I think what my wife is doing is trying to recreate her teenage years for our daughters. Our upbringings couldn't be more different. As you may have picked up, my dad was strict. If he said " get rid of those jeans", they were gone in 5 minutes. " go get a haircut" within 5 minutes I was leaving for the barbershop. Neither he nor my mom, had any problem laying the hammer down. But at the same time, my dad was there for us when my sister or I really needed to talk. We'd have these long talks about what we want in life, etc, etc. Her upbringing was her running all over LA, partying, unsupervised and ruleless. There'd be times where she'd say bye to her parents on Thursday, and come home Tuesday, no big deal in her mind. She's an only child.
How did you miss this when deciding to procreate with her??? This is HUGE. She see's nothing wrong with the way she was allowed to "roam" the streets in her youth? Seriously!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Irish...or something like that? I cannot remember, but was thinking the EXACT same thing! LOL.

How did you miss this when deciding to procreate with her??? This is HUGE. She see's nothing wrong with the way she was allowed to "roam" the streets in her youth? Seriously!
I didn't miss it, I looked past it, figured things would turn out well. I think she's pretty happy with it. We always used to joke she wouldn't last one day in my house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting