Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a good source for soft pajamas for my 6 and 9 yo.

I don't know where to find a nice, 100% soft cotton pajama for children. Organic nice but not absolutely necessary.
Most of the pajamas I seem to see in regular stores either have horrible flame retardants on them, are synthetic, or the cotton is pretty rough.

I recently ordered this LL Bean nightgown for myself and it is so soft.

Supima Cotton Nightgowns, Short-Sleeve Shirred: Sleepwear | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

I wonder why I can't find the same thing for children.
I am sure there are some boutique specialty stores out there carrying such items but I am thinking of something at a reasonable price.

If I am not looking in the right places, I would appreciate any tips.

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 04:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Flame retardant in kid's pajamas might be a law. Have you googled it?

Old 07-25-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Flame retardant in kid's pajamas might be a law. Have you googled it?
So they even dose the cotton in them?
I thought it applied to synthetics only and they address the flammability issue by making the cotton ones very tight.

What about organic cotton?

Yes, I heard of this law and sometimes I wonder how in the world people allowed such a law to pass - because it is beyond outrageous.

Can you buy an organic cotton pajama without flame retardants?

Does it apply just to kids? For ex, is the LL Bean robe I bought above also dosed in flame retardants?

If not, maybe the answer is getting the smallest numbers from adult sleepwear.

I would rather have them sleep in large pajamas than breathe in those nasty chemicals every night.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:04 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Yes you can buy non-flame retardant pjs. They are sold as "close fitting". Here are some sources:
Pajamas without Flame Retardants | Non-toxic Kids

Old 07-25-2014, 05:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) children’s sleepwear flammability standards require that all kids’ sleepwear between size 9 months and size 14 resist an open flame for at least three seconds. If the garment fails this flammability test, it must be treated for flame resistance.

Less than 1 percent of children’s sleepwear is treated for flame-resistance.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I wonder how in the world people allowed such a law to pass - because it is beyond outrageous.

Those laws were passed because there were kids in floppy night clothes going up in flames when they got too close to the stove or Mom's cigarette.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) children’s sleepwear flammability standards require that all kids’ sleepwear between size 9 months and size 14 resist an open flame for at least three seconds. If the garment fails this flammability test, it must be treated for flame resistance.

Less than 1 percent of children’s sleepwear is treated for flame-resistance.
Hi Zimbo,

If only 1% is treated for flame-resistance, how does the 99% usually pass the flammability test?

If I understand correctly, most cotton pajamas are made to fit snug and that would make it pass the test, is that correct?

I also saw lots of loose-fitting synthetic PJ-s for kids in stores. Those are most probably treated - and they certainly seem to make more than 1% of the sleep-wear. Walmart, Target and "everywhere" where "everybody" shops are full of those.

I am just hoping to find a good, handy source where I can get PJ-s that are both soft and contain nothing toxic.

I know Target makes some decent organic sheets. I will check more closely their PJ-s too though most of the items I usually saw there were synthetic.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Those laws were passed because there were kids in floppy night clothes going up in flames when they got too close to the stove or Mom's cigarette.
Well, I had a hunch.

My thought is there must be a better way to prevent those very rare situations from happening than dosing EACH AND EVERY KID'S PJ in toxins that will be breathed in every night (guaranteed) - simply because one kid somewhere once caught fire form his mama's cigarette.

What about regular clothing? Can't a child catch fire from mama's stove when dressed in regular clothing?

It sounds like a terrible and weird solution to a rare problem. Something defined by monetary interests rather than a genuine desire to reduce child fired-based child mortality or burning.

I suspect most people would choose no FR-s in their kid's PJ and take the crazy rare aforementioned risk than have their kids breathe FR-s every night.

I know I would - and this is why I want to make sure I get PJ-s without FR-s.

Going beyond FR-s, I am also interested in soft.
I hate it when my sleepwear is truly soft and theirs is rag-rough.

I am yet to find some truly soft pajamas for children. Maybe those from HA, though they are still not as soft as the adult sleepwear from LLBean I recently purchased.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Do you sew or know someone who does?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Do you sew or know someone who does?

Unfortunately not.
It is one of my projects for a less busy future though: get a sewing machine and learn to sew. :-)
So useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting