Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:52 AM

60 posts, read 131,231 times

Advertisements

I saw Evil Dead ( 2013 remake) at the cinema. Anyone who has seen this knows it's an absolute violent gore fest. There were many small children present, one about 3 yrs old in particular, who started screaming and would not not stop. The mom was going to keep pretending not to hear her, until half the theater started yelling at her to take her child and get out. Not only did that mom leave with her child, but a couple others grabbed their kids and left as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 02:30 AM

166 posts, read 243,724 times
I tried and still do maintain some degree of control over what my now 9 y/o son watches. The clincher though was when I deployed to Iraq. I don't profess to be the most tech savvy guy and my wife is even less so. Our son had figured out how to use his WII on Netflix. I walked in on him one day soon after I got back and he quickly turned the tv off. I did know how to navigate the history. I quickly found that he had watched the first 2 seasons of the walking dead and a host of things like 2 headed shark monster.
FWIW, it hasn't seemed to bother him. He has asked a few questions like how would I handle xyz situation with a zombie but otherwise nothing. I tell him I'm in the military and would get called away leaving him and his mother to fend for themselves. That usually shuts him up.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:49 AM

686 posts, read 1,101,684 times
I saw kids that young at "Ted" - you know, the talking teddy bear, Teddy Ruxpin-ish movie? Unbelievably bad parenting...

Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
My only problem with kids in the movie theater is when parents bring kids who can't sit through an entire movie without getting antsy, making noise, talking, etc. Or when parents bring babies and the baby starts to fuss (no wonder, with it being so loud) or crying, and the parent thinks they can just stand in the hallway (still close enough to view the screen) and it won't bother anyone. I'm usually pretty tolerant, but I recently told a parent to take their baby out (who started crying as soon as the movie got loud). If you can't afford to hire a babysitter, wait to rent the movie. I think theaters should charge for the infants - pretty sure less parents would bring them in.
I agree that there are too many adults that bring babies & preschoolers to a loud, action filled movie and expect them to sit quietly for two hours or sleep though the bombs exploding (or other very loud noises) on the screen. Sheesh!

Quote:

When my daughter was young (she's a teenager now), I waited until she showed she could sit through an entire movie at home without fidgeting, talking, or making noise. I didn't tell her that's what we were waiting for or anything, I just paid attention to what she could handle and what she couldn't, and thought it would be rude to other moviegoers to bring her to the theater before she could sit through a movie without causing a fuss.

Quote:

As to the movie rating, I try to show some common sense. I don't really mind language, and I think it's lame that the F word can warrant an R rating, but that showing multiple people getting killed can remain PG-13. If I'm worried about a movie, I'll check out different ratings websites and look at the synopsis, then make my decision about whether to take my kid to it or not. There are few movies that she's wanted to see that I wouldn't take her to - actually, I don't know if I can think of one off the top of my head. She doesn't like horror flicks or super violent stuff, anyhow.
I agree. For my husband and me, we would rather have our children hear a few bad words or even see a little semi-nudity than view any heavy violence and killing.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
I think parents saw the movie as: Marvel, Talking Raccoon, Comic Books, etc. and figured it was ok for all kids. Americans have this thing that violence in movies is nothing even though it has a PG13 rating. The MPAA is a complete joke. Show a little boob, or drop an F Bomb and boom, rated R. The movie could have 0 violence, but because it showed a boob, it is rated R, but lets blow up entire cities and it is all good for kids.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:55 AM

418 posts, read 728,039 times
When I went to see the final Harry Potter, some guy brought a 5 and 2 year old. During the climactic scenes, the 2 year old was literally wandering the theater. She went to the front and you could see her silhouette against the action. It was ridiculous. The audience finally yelled at dad, who took her out, but he left his 5 year old in the theater. Poor kid wandered out after him, "Daddy?" He looked terrified. Excellent parenting right there.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Movies like Guardians of the Galaxy have the potential to be very good movies without being chock full of indecencies and objective scenes.

The Motion Picture Association of America's film-rating system was last changed in 1990 with the ratings G, PG, PG-13, R and NC-17. Most movies released since have been PG-13 or R. Some movies deserve the ratings they deserve, while others deserve other ratings. Not only should each movie should be rated to one's own judgment, the rating system should undergo an update.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Yeah, you have more trust in the bureaucracy than I do.

MPAA ratings line up and have a list of allowances on what makes a rating. this many curse words, this many that.

Personally it has less cursing than a day of me working in the lawn, and no brutal deaths. . in fact maybe one "human" death in the movie. . (the guy in the spaceship) not counting mom in the begin. The majority of people getting smashed are aliens.

I agree with Scarlet G

Spoiler
and for that matter, I brought my 5 year old and he loved it
*pays chris to mow the lawn to see*

Old 08-05-2014, 11:04 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Very surprised about the language and one of the jokes. Don't really mind the violence.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I tried and still do maintain some degree of control over what my now 9 y/o son watches. The clincher though was when I deployed to Iraq. I don't profess to be the most tech savvy guy and my wife is even less so. Our son had figured out how to use his WII on Netflix. I walked in on him one day soon after I got back and he quickly turned the tv off. I did know how to navigate the history. I quickly found that he had watched the first 2 seasons of the walking dead and a host of things like 2 headed shark monster.
FWIW, it hasn't seemed to bother him. He has asked a few questions like how would I handle xyz situation with a zombie but otherwise nothing. I tell him I'm in the military and would get called away leaving him and his mother to fend for themselves. That usually shuts him up.
Son, if there's a zombie outbreak you're on your own. That's stone cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting