Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 06:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Sorry, I'm not buying it. I think many (not all) people buy Apple simply because they've drunk the Kool-Aid. They'd buy anything Apple makes I don't care if it's a Styrofoam cup with feces in it. That schools fall for this is really wrong, too, parents shouldn't have to spend hundreds on a tablet of ANY brand for their kids.
It makes sense for schools to use ONE BRAND so that teachers don't have to be trained to solve technical problems on every single type of tablets. When parents enroll their students they know that the iPad is part of the package.

Quote:
What does tend to happen, when I've seen children with tablets, is that that's ALL they want to do and they are intense about it. I recall seeing a lady in a waiting room letting her 2 year old play with her phone to the point she couldn't even talk to a person calling her, and I think that's just nuts. If I were the person calling her, I'd even be prone to saying something like "it would be nice for once to actually get to talk to you when I call rather than never being able to because your child always has YOUR phone." What was even worse--her 2 year old threw it on the floor, then the parent picked it up and gave it to her again, and then her child threw it again and broke it. Maybe I was wrong, but I even burst out laughing when I saw that.
This sounds like a parenting problem not a technology problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:42 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I hope I'm not shrinking my brain on this forum.
I know I have.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It makes sense for schools to use ONE BRAND so that teachers don't have to be trained to solve technical problems on every single type of tablets. When parents enroll their students they know that the iPad is part of the package.
It's not "part of the package" where our kids go to school, and I hope it never is. I can understand that you need to buy your children respectable clothes, lunch money, then there are optional knick-knacks like books for the "library mobile" and the like, but the expectation of buying your child a $500 tablet is just nuts. I'd be inclined to move my children to another school based on that one thing alone, frankly.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punyhumans View Post
Pretty much daily my kids play with the iPad or my Android phone or watch YouTube videos for a bit on the laptop. Pluto.TV is a great free resource of kids entertainment and has a setting on the web where you can lock out the non-child focused content... at least I thought it was a great thing until my sister criticized me and told me that kids brains are damaged by screens. What do you think? Good? Bad? Fine in moderation (the last is my opinion)?

How much television did you and your sister watch as children?

In my opinion the iPad is nothing more than a smaller version of television raising your children but they are your children so do what you want.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
It's not "part of the package" where our kids go to school, and I hope it never is. I can understand that you need to buy your children respectable clothes, lunch money, then there are optional knick-knacks like books for the "library mobile" and the like, but the expectation of buying your child a $500 tablet is just nuts. I'd be inclined to move my children to another school based on that one thing alone, frankly.
This is a private school so parents choose this school because of all the things it offers. I was skeptical of the ebooks but it seems to be well accepted by the students/parents. My son loves being able to do his reading anywhere without having to lug heavy textbooks with him. The iPads are for grades 7-12 so the little kids don't have them.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
You seem to like to be difficult for the sake of being difficult if it allows you to disagree with someone. By stating "I'm not buying it" when others are presenting their opinion makes you come off as argumentative and not helpful. You probably understand this already.

The IPAD is a superior learning tool and more intutive for children when compared to Andriod based devices. It's not that hard to understand.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
The IPAD is a superior learning tool and more intutive for children when compared to Andriod based devices. It's not that hard to understand.
You're right, it's not hard to understand, it's basically this:

But so be it--like the one person said, they're your children and you can do whatever you please. But with a title like "the MERITS of iPad parenting," (I'm referring to the original poster), you're going to attract people who think that children, iOS or Android (or full-blown computer), get way too much screen time, just as you're going to get people who think it's just fine as is, or fine in moderation.

Now, the thing is, at the same time, I am with that person who posted "dear mom judging me for being on my iPhone" in terms of her addressing on-lookers shooting harsh stares in her direction because she's on her phone while her kids are playing vs interacting with them every single minute. That's silly. We can debate these things all day, but that mother in my mind has nothing to feel guilty about, regardless of whether she's doodling on her iOS device, Android device, Palm OS device (if there are any of those remaining), Blackberry device, or for that matter a paperback "device" vs engaging her children every single last second.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
They got there by people BELIEVING they invented everything. Some people also believe in Big Foot and Puff The Magic Dragon, too, that's just how it goes sometimes.

tell your self that. Sing this song to yourself. its all marketing, etc. . .whatever. Its funny. I know there are always fanboys and you must be some android or pc fanboy. Tearing down Apple, not giving any ground.

Well Apple was almost bankrupt

Apple climbed from the bottom and blew everyone out of the water. They weren't first with an mp3 player, weren't first with a smart phone, and weren't first with a tablet - but when they entered they nailed it. They blew everyone else out of the water and back to the drawing board.

So now you can look at an Android phone and a tablet and go "hey its good enough" and yes it is. They learned from apple, they followed, and did what every good business does.

So I fault no one for buying Google. . .they copied from the best.

But lets be realistic, Google didn't get where it is by itself. It took Apple finding the path first.

Apple never claims it invented anything, it didn't. It perfected and that is why people perceive it as the highest quality versus the knock-offs.

And from a kids perspective the Apple interface is simpler to use, easier to use, than an Android. Android is for a geek who wants to tweak. Apple is for the person who just wants it to work.. .

Old 08-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
tell your self that. Sing this song to yourself. its all marketing, etc. . .whatever. Its funny. I know there are always fanboys and you must be some android or pc fanboy. Tearing down Apple, not giving any ground.

Well Apple was almost bankrupt

Apple climbed from the bottom and blew everyone out of the water. They weren't first with an mp3 player, weren't first with a smart phone, and weren't first with a tablet - but when they entered they nailed it. They blew everyone else out of the water and back to the drawing board.

So now you can look at an Android phone and a tablet and go "hey its good enough" and yes it is. They learned from apple, they followed, and did what every good business does.

So I fault no one for buying Google. . .they copied from the best.

But lets be realistic, Google didn't get where it is by itself. It took Apple finding the path first.

Apple never claims it invented anything, it didn't. It perfected and that is why people perceive it as the highest quality versus the knock-offs.

And from a kids perspective the Apple interface is simpler to use, easier to use, than an Android. Android is for a geek who wants to tweak. Apple is for the person who just wants it to work.. .
I wish I could rep you more, 100000% correct.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You're right, it's not hard to understand, it's basically this:

But so be it--like the one person said, they're your children and you can do whatever you please. But with a title like "the MERITS of iPad parenting," (I'm referring to the original poster), you're going to attract people who think that children, iOS or Android (or full-blown computer), get way too much screen time, just as you're going to get people who think it's just fine as is, or fine in moderation.

Now, the thing is, at the same time, I am with that person who posted "dear mom judging me for being on my iPhone" in terms of her addressing on-lookers shooting harsh stares in her direction because she's on her phone while her kids are playing vs interacting with them every single minute. That's silly. We can debate these things all day, but that mother in my mind has nothing to feel guilty about, regardless of whether she's doodling on her iOS device, Android device, Palm OS device (if there are any of those remaining), Blackberry device, or for that matter a paperback "device" vs engaging her children every single last second.

I guess everyone else are iLemmings, because they are just copying with Apple did. No one is going to use something they dont like, dont find useful, and/or dont understand. People use their products because they are user friendly and improve their lives in whatever way they deem important. Not because it's cool to have white earbuds in everywhere you go.

And back to the subject at hand, it's great as a learning tool as well. It does everything a text book can do, just easier and more accessible. All my kids have IPAD's. In moderation it's great. Believe me, we have days when taking away the IPAD can be painful, it's addicting and can easily be used for inappropriate activities, for our little ones. That's the catch, EVERYTHING is more accessible, quickly, and easily, even the "bad" stuff out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting