Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you respond if your kid asked you to buy them some condoms?
Guy - If it was a son, id buy them for him 6 5.66%
Guy - If it was a daughter, id buy them for her 1 0.94%
Guy - i wouldnt buy it for either 7 6.60%
Guy - wouldnt buy it, and ground them from seeing their bf/gf 2 1.89%
Guy - id make them buy their own 6 5.66%
guy - other 7 6.60%
Gal - If it was a son, id buy them for him 12 11.32%
Gal - If it was a daughter, id buy them for her 13 12.26%
Gal - i wouldnt buy it for either 12 11.32%
Gal - wouldnt buy it, and ground them from seeing their bf/gf 2 1.89%
Gal - id make them buy their own 19 17.92%
gal - other 19 17.92%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:06 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
If the kid cant make the errand to buy the condoms themselves - with their own $ and without blushing - than they should not be having sex.

Without blushing??? I'm out then, even I can't do it without blushing a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
If you had/have a loving trusting relationship with your child, and you tell them they can talk to you about anything, how would you respond when they come up to you at 16 and ask you to buy them some condoms cause they feel the time has come?

Would it change based on whether it was a son or daughter?
Honestly... I'd go with them to buy the condoms and I would on the way discuss in depth the subject and potential repercussions. I'm all for having an open/loving relationship with my kids and I'm not stupid and don't want them to be. I plan to have relevant discussions way before age 16.

It saddens me to read how other people would handle the situation with relative ignorance. In fact I think a more realistic age to expect for such a conversation these days might even be up to 4 years younger.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
I would buy it for them, son or daughter.

Would I want to? NO. Would I want them to have sex at that age? NO.

BUT. They will do it with or without the condoms. If I say it's their responsibility- most likely they won't buy them, and it would probably be out of embarrassment. They will do it anyway. I can't lock them in their room. They can do it anywhere: in school (yep, knew kids who did), outside, friends house, in the woods, in a car, in an alley- you can't be with your child 24/7 and if they want to find a place, believe me- they will.

I'd rather them have sex with condoms then sex without and lead the way to pregnancy, sexual diseases.

Of course I will have a nice ole talk with them, show them pictures of teen moms/dads, what sexual diseases look like....but I would rather them be protected than not, since where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
I would buy it for them, son or daughter.

Would I want to? NO. Would I want them to have sex at that age? NO.

BUT. They will do it with or without the condoms. If I say it's their responsibility- most likely they won't buy them, and it would probably be out of embarrassment. They will do it anyway. I can't lock them in their room. They can do it anywhere: in school (yep, knew kids who did), outside, friends house, in the woods, in a car, in an alley- you can't be with your child 24/7 and if they want to find a place, believe me- they will.

I'd rather them have sex with condoms then sex without and lead the way to pregnancy, sexual diseases.

Of course I will have a nice ole talk with them, show them pictures of teen moms/dads, what sexual diseases look like....but I would rather them be protected than not, since where there's a will, there's a way.
I always thought that would be effective.

that and showing a daughter a picture of John Holmes and saying, "he was kinda small..."

Old 10-19-2009, 07:34 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
I definitely would buy it for them. So many parent's here are being judgmental. If your teen is talking to you and asking for protection--than we as parents must do our part. We must sit them down, explain our feelings (not condone), talk about STD's, child-birth, self-value, and ask are you sure you ready? Not only buy it, take them to the store and explain what's on the shelf. I have a girl, so I would put her on birth control, as well as give her condoms. I don't judge people by what they do. I had sex at age 15 and choose to get an IUD as contraceptive without my mother knowing. Back than, you walked into Family Planning in your neighborhood, and their goal was to reduce teen-age pregnancy. It worked for me.
My daughter at 16, when I saw signs of boyfriend I put her on the pill. Since the age of 9, her doctor wanted her to take the pill to control painful menustration, but I thought it was too early. As a parent, I saw the signs and took control. My daughter did have sex at 16 and told my girlfriend, who told me. We did talk about the situation and guess who she blamed? Me, of course. According to her, if I didn't put her on the pill, she wouldn't had sex. I don't believed that story and I make sure she take her pill daily. Give teens access and knowledge for responsible choices.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:15 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
it would be on their dime. You say you're mature enough to have sex, then be mature enough to take care of your own birth control/std protection.

Needs to be repeated. If they aren't mature enough to provide them for themselves, they aren't mature enough to be having sex.

This falls under the dreaded "personal responsibility" thing though - few adults these days can grasp the concept. And sadly, even fewer are making the effort to teach it to their children.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
it would be on their dime. You say you're mature enough to have sex, then be mature enough to take care of your own birth control/std protection.

Needs to be repeated. If they aren't mature enough to provide them for themselves, they aren't mature enough to be having sex.

This falls under the dreaded "personal responsibility" thing though - few adults these days can grasp the concept. And sadly, even fewer are making the effort to teach it to their children.
so, if they aren't mature enough to buy protection, but have sex anyway, tough luck?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I've had the talk with my daughter in various stages since she was about seven and asked me where babies come from. We've always been pretty open about it and have emphasized the need for safety and trust in a partner. I will no more expect my daughter to be mature enough to buy it herself than I would expect her to be mature enough to wait. Of course I WANT her to wait and have emphasized how important it is to wait, but I will not be terribly surprised if she does not. I didn't, nor do most people. And if I expect her to go buy her own, I run the risk of her chickening out and still having sex. The reason condoms are frequently locked up in stores is because kids steal them out of embarrassment. I hate buying them, and I'm 35.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
If you had/have a loving trusting relationship with your child, and you tell them they can talk to you about anything, how would you respond when they come up to you at 16 and ask you to buy them some condoms cause they feel the time has come?

Would it change based on whether it was a son or daughter?
I have sons. Toddlers,so in 10 years, my whole take could change....

That being said, no, I would not buy them condoms.

If they feel the need to take this path in life at that age, they can do so on their own free will. If they get a girl pregnany with or without condoms, they can accept to be completely responsible for caring for that child as long as they are under our roof. If they get a STD be it with or without condoms, they will need to accept it & realize that their choice is the reason, not the condoms...

I will not support my teenage sons having sex & hope that through the years they can appreciate and respect the value of absitence. If not, it was their choice and they will have to learn to live with the consequences of their own free will. As a parent, I do not condone premarital sex even if I know it is happening as many parents do...

Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM

897 posts, read 2,454,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The pill won't prevent a UTI, and neither will a condom. You need to teach her that she should urinate right after sex, and clean up properly.
She has been told this- thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting