Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Based on the situation below, do you feel the parents are:
Morons because they couldn't find the kid. 10 18.87%
Correct for calling the police, because it's an understandable situation. 43 81.13%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:58 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times

Advertisements

Children fall asleep in all kinds of situations. It doesn't mean a thing. A dog is the most effective way to find a sleeping child, because the dog can both smell and hear it even in situations where trained searchers would be missing it. A dog, from a distance, can hear a child breathing while sleeping, and can tell one child from another by its smell. Cops can't do that. All they can do is search in vain, not find the child, then go out and shoot the neighbor's dog.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 AM

477 posts, read 800,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
No....not all children that do not/can not talk have special needs (who the hell uses the term retarded these days??!!??)...there are many underlying reasons for apraxia of speech and one of the smartest little kids I ever met had it....with lots of therapy and understanding he overcame much of it and started talking around age 8...currently a very typical and smart mouthed teenager with amazing grades.

You really need to get a clue.
Doctors do. Mental Retardation is a medical term. I know it makes people upset, so let's not use real terms and facts. I'm sure all nontalking children are smart. It's "normal" (again let's not make anyone upset) to not talk until you're 8. Was he in diapers, too? That's normal, too.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 AM

577 posts, read 900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Doctors do. Mental Retardation is a medical term. I know it makes people upset, so let's not use real terms and facts. I'm sure all nontalking children are smart. It's "normal" (again let's not make anyone upset) to not talk until you're 8. Was he in diapers, too? That's normal, too.
You should learn more about late talking... it is not always associated with mental retardation or autism. In some cases it is a sign of high intelligence. Your tone is very nasty but I bet if you met some of these late talkers who don't have MR you would think differently.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
You should learn more about late talking... it is not always associated with mental retardation or autism. In some cases it is a sign of high intelligence. Your tone is very nasty but I bet if you met some of these late talkers who don't have MR you would think differently.
I have met late talkers. Most of them are stupid or have some type of illness. All of them? No, but I think people think all children are smart. If the majority of adults are stupid, than the majority of children are stupid.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:06 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
There is a recent story in the news where a non-vocalizing 3-year-old went missing which lead to a police search. In the story, the 3-year-old went down to the basement, wrapped itself in a blanket under a box and fell asleep. A short time later, the parents began searching for the child, and when not found, called the police. The police did a search and also could not locate the child in the house.

Do you feel it is "reasonable" that a parent was unable to locate the child and call police in this situation?
I was lost twice in our home when I was a child, once I was cleaning under my bed like my Mother asked me to and I fell asleep under there and she could not find me.
The other time I had gone to the backyard with the dog and got into the dog house with the dog and took a nap with him.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Untrained? What good does training do? Cops have training, but they cause more problems than they solve. I've never met a competent cop. I'm reminded of Jeffrey Dahmer, the guy who drugged and killed boys and had sex with their dead bodies. When one of the drugged boys escaped from him, some cops helped catch him and gave him back to him, to be killed. That's an extreme example, but is the kind of behavior I've come to expect from cops. Incompetence, harassment, and violence.

Once when I got attacked by street muggers, the cops wasted time questioning me while the muggers were getting away. When someone broke into my car, the only thing the cop did was write a report. I've never once been in any situation where a cop did anything competent. An untrained dog is 100 times better than a trained cop.

Cops don't do much of anything. I don't understand why they're involved in petty things like say a nonviolent mugging. They probably don't really investigate. Not only does the victim not get any sort of restitution. Let's say the mugger has a criminal past, it's not getting added to his record.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:19 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,851 times
Closed for Mod Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting