Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Sounds like your issue is your husband, not your child. You can not continue to neglect your sleep, it is unhealthy!
The op could go to bed earlier...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Go to bed earlier.

Lots of people wake up at 6 on their own. For work, etc.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 PM

41 posts, read 73,320 times
Yeah my almost 7 year old daughter wakes up everyday around that time. She just goes into the playroom and watches TV, let's everyone sleep in on the weekends.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My daughter who's 4 is determined to kill me.. She wakes up every day at 6:15-6:30. My husband works nights, 6 days a week, so he sleeps in during the day and his one day off he can't let me sleep in cause he worked the night before. I NEVER get a day to sleep in or catch up, and since he's not home I'm also up and down at night if she needs potty, is sick and so on.

I feel like that's too early for a kid her age to wake up. Her normal bedtime is around 7:30-8 depending on how long it takes us to brush teeth, read etc. I've gotten to the point where I kept her up till 9:30 the other night just hoping for her to sleep in till 7:30 or 8 am... nothing still up at same time.. I can't have coffee because I have a heart condition so I'm seriously dragging and I don't know how to get her to stop. I've asked her to stay in bed till the sun at least comes up, and I can hear her in there jumping around, talking etc so I'm up anyways. I feel so burnt dealing with it all night alone, then her hanging on me all day for 13 hours too. Any suggestions on this? I'm feel like I've got a newborn with the hours she has me going.
When you have young children they usually get up early. That's just the way it is. If you are going to bed late then you need to get to bed earlier. Once she is a little older you can let her watch a little tv and fix breakfast (no cooking) but until then it is your job to adjust your sleep schedule to her. As far as her hanging on you all day you need to put an end to that. It's not her fault that she hangs on you all day. It's your fault that you allow it.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
Does she fall right asleep when you put her to bed or is she up for a little bit? I'd probably move bedtime back slghtly later (and you have to do it for longer than 1 night for her schedule to adjust). The other thing I'd suggest is getting one of those colored alarm clocks. Something like this:

Amazon.com - Onaroo OK to Wake Children's Alarm Clock and Nightlight - Kids Alarm Clock

And use that to train her to stay in bed a touch later. Personally, I wouldn't go past 6:45 or 7, but YMMV.

Is she reading or does she like to look at books? My 4.5 yo goes up for bed at 7:30, reads with me or my wife for 10-15 minutes and then can read until he's ready to go to sleep.

Edit: And do away with the nap if she's still taking one. IMO. Beyond that, it's what everyone else said, teach her how to turn on a show she likes or fix her own breakfast. (When I was a kid, my mom had the cereal already in the bowl with a spoon the night before and she'd put a little cup of milk with foil over it in the fridge for me to pour on top.)

Old 08-08-2014, 02:38 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
And -

Before you can blink an eye you won't be able to get her to go to bed at a decent hour or out of bed in time not to be late for school.

Then she'll be gone.

Being a parent is a real inconvenience, for sure. But it's all over with way too fast.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
My daughter who's 4 is determined to kill me.. She wakes up every day at 6:15-6:30. My husband works nights, 6 days a week, so he sleeps in during the day and his one day off he can't let me sleep in cause he worked the night before. I NEVER get a day to sleep in or catch up, and since he's not home I'm also up and down at night if she needs potty, is sick and so on.

I feel like that's too early for a kid her age to wake up. Her normal bedtime is around 7:30-8 depending on how long it takes us to brush teeth, read etc. I've gotten to the point where I kept her up till 9:30 the other night just hoping for her to sleep in till 7:30 or 8 am... nothing still up at same time.. I can't have coffee because I have a heart condition so I'm seriously dragging and I don't know how to get her to stop. I've asked her to stay in bed till the sun at least comes up, and I can hear her in there jumping around, talking etc so I'm up anyways. I feel so burnt dealing with it all night alone, then her hanging on me all day for 13 hours too. Any suggestions on this? I'm feel like I've got a newborn with the hours she has me going.
That is really not too early, in fact it is pretty typical.

I suggest that you teach your child to quietly play in her room until you wake up to make breakfast, have your husband pitch in more on child care when he is home and awake, possible even letting you take a nap. Also, if you are staying awake very late finishing work around the house perhaps your hubby needs to help out more in that regard, as well.

Even if you are a SAHM the full burden of child care should not fall to you. Perhaps she can go to preschool a couple of days per week so that you could catch up on things.

When my children were young I had an extremely demanding full time job, as did my husband, I sometimes hired a teenage babysitter to come over for a few hours on Saturday afternoon (my husband also worked 6 to 7 days per week) to play with our children so that I could take a long nap or catch up on paperwork. Since I had plenty of quality time with my children afterschool and the rest of the weekend I did not feel guilty to have a few hours to myself.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I agree it's a pretty normal wake up time. Certainly according to my 10 year old, it is! I agree with getting her used to getting up on her own. I would leave a sippy cup of milk in the fridge (he was drinking from regular cups but I didn't want to have him unsupervised with an open cup of milk) and a bowl of cold cereal, granola bar, etc. where he could reach it. He didn't quite have it down at 4, but at some point he learned to get up without disturbing me.

(of course that kind of backfired when I found out that he was also getting up at 2 am and using the Wii with the volume all the way down, but that's another story....)

Old 08-08-2014, 03:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

So where is her Father during all of this?
Oh, he is able to get the sleep he needs right?
Let him deal with her since he did participate in her creation he can participate in her upbringing as well.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:08 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The op could go to bed earlier...
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting