Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 04:04 PM

77 posts, read 111,401 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a move in the next 10 months. We have talked about different times including Nov, March and June. We have twin first graders that just started at the neighborhood school where we are now in the Midwest. The schedules between the districts in the two different states are not that different.

So for those that have done this with kids in the early years of elementary, did you do it during a term? During a break? Which is better or worse? I know it is going to upset them to some degree as they are both very social and will be sad to say goodbye no matter when it is. Part of me thinks for that reason the sooner the better. We also have winter looming which is a huge reason that we are moving overall so I am a bit anxious going into another one (I was quite depressed last winter, SAD).

As for the kids academically, my daughter is in the gifted class here which seems great and we will likely be able to continue with that where we are going. My son is in a regular class which would be okay if the classes here weren't huge (30 in his room with one teacher). He will definitely need outside instruction to meet his goals for the year based on what I observe so far. The new district has much smaller classes and highly rated schools which we feel will greatly benefit him especially.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm feeling pretty isolated with only my hubby to talk with about it. Most of my family here is upset with us for leaving and that has trickled into no one being willing to discuss this with me. Once we decide exactly what we are doing many of them will come together and support us no problem. I hope that makes sense. They are all trying to stay neutral and that makes me feel shut out without any support trying to make a huge life decision that is already difficult enough on all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,566,018 times
I would move in June so they can finish out this school year, then make neighborhood friends before school starts and you can find your bearings in your new area. Find a neighborhood with a pool or a summer program for them if you want.

Kids that age are resilient. By 5th grade, they will barely remember it.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:54 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,978,419 times
I have never done it as a parent, but I can give you the teacher's perspective. When a child arrives in June, the biggest issue is standardized tests. If they arrived while we were testing, this was a bad situation for all - teachers were stressed and schedules were off. First graders didn't have the bubble tests like older kids, but there were still tests. There was little time for the teacher to worry about how the child was fitting in or things like that - we were too busy and the year was almost over anyway. So I would say March or November. If it were me, I'd probably move in November so my child could have a majority of time in the new school. Of course, if after the end of school (summer break) is an option, I'd do it then for sure.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:56 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,825,509 times
If the new school district will be a better fit for your son, I'd move sooner, rather than later. My kids found it very difficult to move over the summer. Many neighbors were out of town, kids were already enrolled in programs that began before I could research what was available, etc. On the other hand, when we did a late fall move, they were welcomed novelties, and adjusted very easily.

There have been threads before on the subject. Some people will encourage a summer move for the least disruption in schooling. At the age of your children, I wouldn't worry about that aspect. I requested my kids be given "buddies" for the first couple of days to show them around, and the school was happy to comply.

I see no reason to waste a year if your son is struggling where he is now.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,566,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

There have been threads before on the subject. Some people will encourage a summer move for the least disruption in schooling. At the age of your children, I wouldn't worry about that aspect. I requested my kids be given "buddies" for the first couple of days to show them around, and the school was happy to comply.

I see no reason to waste a year if your son is struggling where he is now.
This is a good point. It really doesn't matter in first grade, and it might work better for them to go right into a school year. Like I said, kids this age are resilient, and emotionally they will follow your lead on the move. Do what is best for your family and what will work with the housing market in your area.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
If your children were older, I'd say wait until the end of summer, not June. Older children are more uncomfortable starting a school in the middle of a school year, and moving at the start of summer means an entire summer without opportunities to meet new friends. November will be best for first graders because they don't have the same hang ups as adolescents about switching schools in the middle of the year, and it gives them a chance to become established in the new community before summer. Being able to dive right into school and meeting new friends right away will be easier. Moving in June will make them miss their old friends more because it will be difficult to meet new friends over the summer.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:26 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,731,833 times
I did this as a first grader. I moved in November. It was fine. Kids at that age love new kids so socially it was great. Academically I don't remember any major stress at all. I do remember the work being easy in my new school.

We moved out of state as well.

At that age you are at an advantage. They will adjust seamlessly.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:03 PM

228 posts, read 342,109 times
My kids have moved tons, across several countries, and it's been fine. They will very quickly learn that 90% of it is basically the same as their old school: they still have recess, and eat the same sort of lunch, and do math facts, and have a story read to them in the afternoon, and do PE, music, etc etc. It will all feel very familiar within the first week.

Specifically, I'd recommend November. We arrived in the US and plonked our kids into the local elementary school right in late November, one in 6th grade, one in 2nd. It's a great time of year to turn up - you're feted as an exciting novelty kid for a couple of weeks, then by the time that's worn off, it's all Christmas parties, festivities, crafts, and winding down. It gives the new school a really positive shine for the kids, that it's all been so fun.

Then when they go back in January, they're the same as everyone else, and start the new semester's work in earnest. By the time summer rolls around, it's like they've always been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting