Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:27 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,763 times

Advertisements

Depends on the area. It's not too uncommon though. I know that kids play unsupervised outside in most suburban neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
They sure do. We have parks on every street corner and and bike paths that will take you anywhere in town. Younger kids tend to stick to the neighborhood and neighborhood parks; older kids are often found on the bike path heading to practice, town, etc.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:34 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Our 6 year olds play outside a lot. There are many kids their age in our neighborhood, sidewalks everywhere, a park across the street and one a block away w/playground. I'm not worried about pedophiles, I'm more worried about them just getting hurt doing kid things. But I was on the loose all day ath their age and survived (despite a run in with a swarm of bees!)

Our rule is that you don't ride your bike in the street, always let us know where you are... and I think that's it. Have fun!

But I've spoken to people at work who, despite living in nice suburbs, won't let their 6 year old kids play in their own back yard unsupervised. I find that odd.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here are the rules for my town's public pools:

Louisville Recreation & Senior Center
1. Children 5 and under must pass our swim test or be accompanied by an adult who is actively supervising in the water.

Plus several others.

Most people know that accidents are the leading cause of death in children > 1 year of age. For kids 1-4, the major cause of accidental death is drowning, and for ages 5-9 drowning is the second leading cause of accidental death. Drowning remains in the top 10 through age 54.
Ten Leading Causes of Death and Injury - PDFs|Injury Center|CDC
(Click on "unintentional injury".)

Water needs to be respected.
That's why our twins started swim lessons as babies, and have continued fairly regulary up until today. They're pretty good swimmers for 6 years old. I take them to one of our "kid pools" that's only 4 feet deep in the deep end, so they can always just stand up But even so, I keep an eye on them.

I didn't care for letting them play in the wave pool at Elitch's. Too many people, waves, etc. I will only let them get in that thing if I'm right there with them.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:38 PM

506 posts, read 326,468 times
Yes, we have three parks in our neighborhood , and there are always a few kids playing without their parents directly watching them.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
I was trying to remember at what age I allowed my kids to go to the neighborhood park unsupervised. I just can't. I do know I allowed it in a group of children whom I knew and I knew the parents. I also (back in the pre "everyone has a cell phone" days sent them with a 2-way walkie-talkie.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belladee View Post
kids and teens who were kidnapped and abused were left unattended or they were alone. being in a group of kids does not necessarily prevent this.

My kids are not glued to a TV, they go outside and play and I am there keeping an eye out. even when they are older they will not be walking alone. Watching your kids is not synonymous with not letting your kids develop properly or stifling their independence. They have watched stranger danger and know what to do and what to be careful of but i am still there.. i would never take a chance with as much as goes on in this world. they may lose out on the freedom that I had when i was a kid but oh well ..

This video will make you think twice the next time you see a child alone - Vulcan Post

maybe if EVERYONE kept an eye on their kids ALL the time then we would stop seeing in the news all the missing children.
The United States is NOT Malaysia or Thailand or a Middle Eastern Country.

In the US, most abducted children are taken by the non-custodial parent or another relative.

Five myths about missing children - The Washington Post

Quote:
Many state missing-children agencies show declining numbers of cases. That trend is supported by FBI statistics showing fewer missing persons of all ages — down 31 percent between 1997 and 2011. The numbers of homicides, sexual assaults and almost all other crimes against children have been dropping, too.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 PM

421 posts, read 556,132 times
Lol that video fear mongering made me laugh. Wanna know why all those parents looked surprised? They thought the kids stole the lolly pops. Did you notice how many of those kids took the candy but ran right off to mom or dad?

In some countries children are badly exploited and used for bad deeds. The ones most at risk for that is teenagers used for sex trafficking in the uS. But even those are very rare in our country.

We can fortify our children against abuse. All kids aren't sitting ducks.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
Lol that video fear mongering made me laugh. Wanna know why all those parents looked surprised? They thought the kids stole the lolly pops. Did you notice how many of those kids took the candy but ran right off to mom or dad?

In some countries children are badly exploited and used for bad deeds. The ones most at risk for that is teenagers used for sex trafficking in the uS. But even those are very rare in our country.

We can fortify our children against abuse. All kids aren't sitting ducks.
We fortify our children against abuse by keeping an eye on them, by helping them avoid situations where they are vulnerable, by being there when strangers give them candy.

Kids play outside where I live. Most with a parent in the vicinity until they are 11 or 12.

The older ones run around in small groups playing basketball or hanging out at the mall.

There are numerous reasons for keeping an eye o young children besides the possibility of abduction. They could get hurt, they could be the target of bullies, they could be up to mayhem...

Parents who advocate for free-range kids are often relying on others to provide oversight, places for them to play, etc.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We fortify our children against abuse by keeping an eye on them, by helping them avoid situations where they are vulnerable, by being there when strangers give them candy.

Kids play outside where I live. Most with a parent in the vicinity until they are 11 or 12.

The older ones run around in small groups playing basketball or hanging out at the mall.

There are numerous reasons for keeping an eye o young children besides the possibility of abduction. They could get hurt, they could be the target of bullies, they could be up to mayhem...

Parents who advocate for free-range kids are often relying on others to provide oversight, places for them to play, etc.
Half the time my kids are outside playing, they're playing in our yard with other neighborhood kids. So then I'm the responsible parent, but I'm not standing there watching them play cars or basketball in the driveway. I'm right inside, and if there's an issue, I handle it. Other times, our kids are at another house. But all the parents know one another and we watch out for one another's kids.

"Mayhem" is probably the biggest problem. I looked out my kitchen windo the other day to see the girls next door painting on the sid of their house lol! I texted their mother who prompbly came out and handled it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting