Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times

Advertisements

She even complained rather lazily about having to carry out a pizza box along with her car seat and diaper bag. Oh, the humanity!

Does this eight year-old child look too young to help her mother out? Picture from the Guardian:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 04:59 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,652 times
If she had a diaper pad and all other accessories required to change the diaper she should have just walked to her car and changed it on the back seat. I have seen lot of people do that. I reminds me of the guy at work who brings starbucks to the restroom every morning. I try to make sure he has some added aroma in his carmel macchiato if he is next to me...

Old 08-12-2014, 05:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
People are so grossed out by this, but meanwhile if this were a thread about breastfeeding in a restaurant many people tell the mother to go feed her baby in a bathroom stall. I wonder how big the size of the subset of people who think changing a baby at a table is gross also think breastfeeding should happen in a bathroom?

Old 08-12-2014, 05:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think it's really gross and it's hard to believe that the woman actually wants to be in the news for doing something so unsanitary. My guess is that she's seen all the recent coverage of women holding nurse-ins and she was hoping to get some attention of the same sort, some public sympathy. But this isn't the same as breastfeeding at a table...food belongs at a table, poop belongs in the bathroom.

When my kids were little, which wasn't that long ago, we didn't expect every restroom to have a changing table. If there wasn't one, we put the changing pad on the floor and changed the diaper there, or went out to the car and changed it on the back seat or in the trunk. I never would have changed a diaper at a table like that. I can't even imagine what the other restaurant patrons were thinking. I would have had to leave if I was at the table next to them and I would most likely never eat at that restaurant again...not the restaurant's fault but I just wouldn't be able to eat there again.
As in a s**t-in?

I agree, it was gross. And although I breast-fed in public many times, I never changed a diaper in a restaurant. In fact, I seldom changed a diaper in a public place.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:04 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Lets get some facts in order... watching that CNN video clip....
1) The woman went into the restroom and found no changing table in there.
2) She didn't want to go back to her minivan and bring her other 2 girls with her.
3) She changed the baby on a chair, NOT the table.
4) She was in a crowded restaurant.
5) people complained about the smell.

#1 and #3 weren't her fault, nor a bad thing, but being in a crowded restaurant (#4), she should've made the extra trip to back to her minivan and changed (#2). People may have varying tolerance levels for public breast feedings, but in some cases, at least the mother covers it up with a towel. The mother said she no1 saw the changing, but here, people were complaining about the smell (#5).

Yeah, I'd have to side with the restaurant management here.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As in a s**t-in?

I agree, it was gross. And although I breast-fed in public many times, I never changed a diaper in a restaurant. In fact, I seldom changed a diaper in a public place.
Haha! Well done.

Breastfeeding in public is a no-brainer. Odorless? Check. Sanitary? Check. Necessary for the child's life? Check.

That's definitely one situation where discomfort is in the hands of the discomforted to deal with. Don't like it? Don't stare.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:35 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
We have a son with Down syndrome who wasn't toilet trained until he was 6 years old. We NEVER changed his diaper in a dining area and not in the open. When we were at Disney World, if we were in line waiting and he needed to be changed, we left the line and changed him so she won't get sympathy from me! She is either ignorant or the stress of this 3rd child is just too much for her.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
wow, you all are a riot. I dont have filthy habits, upper middle class american. People are strange about this stuff. Now if she had the baby bare assed on a table I would be like...geezze someone get the hand sanitizer. But a tiny infant, on a chair, on a pad with a mom who was likely very frazzled trying to manage her kids and her new baby. Cut her some slack.
Hey, when you are dealing with fecal matter in a restaurant dining room, it becomes a health department and OSHA violation because it is a health hazard to the other patrons.

You may not think it is a big deal but the restaurant owner having his restaurant shut down and lively hood taken away probably thinks otherwise.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-12-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Haha! Well done.

Breastfeeding in public is a no-brainer. Odorless? Check. Sanitary? Check. Necessary for the child's life? Check.

That's definitely one situation where discomfort is in the hands of the discomforted to deal with. Don't like it? Don't stare.
Thanks. I like to be witty occasionally.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
My brother did this one time when we were out dining. I was MORTIFIED. And confused as to why anyone would think this is ok.
My sister changed my niece's diaper at the end of the checkout stand at Target. True story! I was completely embarrassed and shocked. I think she was suffering from PPD. OTOH, she's a bit of a drama queen so it could have been for shock value...who knows. She did a lot of odd things those few months I was with her and the baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting